Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #81
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Is the question "what game do you think is perfect" pretty much asking what your all time favourite games are? I'd argue they're one and the same.
No, they're not. This is a continuation of a thread about perfect movies. There are movies where there's just nothing obvious that you could do to make them any better. Meanwhile, you can love a movie more than all others despite its imperfections - it can be your favourite movie even if it has obvious flaws. That's the difference.

As I said before I'm really not sure that there has been a game without some area for obvious improvement. Even The Last of Us, which as I said is probably as close as anyone has gotten to perfect, has some clunkiness with the combat, and it kind of breaks the immersion when you're stealthing around and Ellie is just wandering into enemies' line of sight and she's apparently invisible to them.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #82
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Final Fantasy VI - It's still a great experience to play through, but the game has really obvious bugs that didn't get fixed, some of them game breaking.
What could break the game in VI?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #83
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
No, they're not. This is a continuation of a thread about perfect movies. There are movies where there's just nothing obvious that you could do to make them any better. Meanwhile, you can love a movie more than all others despite its imperfections - it can be your favourite movie even if it has obvious flaws. That's the difference.

As I said before I'm really not sure that there has been a game without some area for obvious improvement. Even The Last of Us, which as I said is probably as close as anyone has gotten to perfect, has some clunkiness with the combat, and it kind of breaks the immersion when you're stealthing around and Ellie is just wandering into enemies' line of sight and she's apparently invisible to them.
Guess agree to disagree then. How does a cheesy storyline become a flaw when its based on opinion rather than game mechanics? What if I like the cheesy storyline? I wouldn't say Last of Us is even close to perfect, there's a bunch of flaws there to. The whole zombie / dystopian future has been so over done as well, if cheesy is flaw, then so is pretty much every dystopian future storyline.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #84
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
What could break the game in VI?
Relm's sketch command can crash the game is you use it on the wrong enemy. It can outright corrupt your cartridge in specific circumstances. From a gameplay perspective, Vanish and Doom can be used to defeat any enemy in the game which is definitely unintended. There are also a bunch of other minor glitches in the game that an average player will probably notice, like how they'll get Blind/Dark on a character and they still hit just fine (because the evade stat doesn't actually work).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #85
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
From a gameplay perspective, Vanish and Doom can be used to defeat any enemy in the game which is definitely unintended.
Lol I always thought vanish/doom was a pro not a con.

Forgot about the sketch issue.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #86
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know what game was perfect in its time.

It featured evolutionary graphics.
It was pretty complex for its day taking into account your army's marching speed and food supply.
It had different levels of enemy intelligence.
You had to think to beat it
It fit on a 5.25 floppy disk

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #87
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You know what game was perfect in its time.

It featured evolutionary graphics.
It was pretty complex for its day taking into account your army's marching speed and food supply.
It had different levels of enemy intelligence.
You had to think to beat it
It fit on a 5.25 floppy disk

I loved that game as a kid. It introduced me to strategy games.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #88
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

The best thing was the physical confrontations that erupted from playing this game.
This.

Also Persian Gulf Inferno for Amiga.

https://youtu.be/pyBAToSNKzg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #89
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

One that I’m surprised hasn’t been mentioned, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2.

I can’t think of a single thing wrong with it.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:39 AM   #90
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The two that come to mind for me right off the bat are Super Mario World and Portal 2. I actually like Portal 1 more, but it's more of a proof of concept, 2 is a much fuller game. Super Mario World's controls still feel so damn good when I pick it up, in my mind it's still the best platformer ever made.

Another one that comes to mind is A Link to the Past, although I do think it's got some small warts that prevent it from being "perfect". People bring up Mega Man X too, but I can't comment on that one as I never played it.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madrox For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 01:07 PM   #91
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super Mario Bros
Super Mario bros III

Tecmo Bowl
Tecmo Super Bowl

Mario Kart

Assasin's Creed II
(I mostly only play sports games now, but this game had me hooked. I think it's the only game I finished since Super Mario Bros. III).
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:49 PM   #92
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to define perfect, but here are some of my favorites over the generations.

Super Mario Brothers (NES)
Double Dragon 2 (NES)
Resident Evil (PS1)
Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Halo CE (Xbox)
Deus Ex (PC)
Red Dead Redemption (XB360/PS3)
The Witcher 3 (PS4/XBONE)

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 10-31-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #93
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Guess agree to disagree then. How does a cheesy storyline become a flaw when its based on opinion rather than game mechanics? What if I like the cheesy storyline? I wouldn't say Last of Us is even close to perfect, there's a bunch of flaws there to. The whole zombie / dystopian future has been so over done as well, if cheesy is flaw, then so is pretty much every dystopian future storyline.
I guess I'm responding to this late, but... it's not agree to disagree, you're just wrong. There is clearly a difference between a work that is the one you most enjoy despite obvious flaws, and a work with no obvious flaws, that you might just not enjoy because of your personal taste. They're different criteria.

The Last of Us does have a couple of flaws, but just "it's a dystopian zombie game" is a pretty weak retort. It does dystopian zombie game better pretty much flawlessly - even the design of the "zombies" is beautifully thought out. Having a cheesy story is one of those things that's both subjective and objective, in the sense that some things are less cheesy to some people, but there can be a broad consensus about what is cheesy. The writing in JRPGs is generally super overdramatic and often very silly, compared to, say, the writing in Planescape:Torment. Speaking of JRPGs, here's a good example to demonstrate what's wrong with some of these picks - no one in this thread has mentioned Cosmic Star Heroine. Why is that? It does the 16bit party JRPG thing incredibly well, has a strong soundtrack, excellent graphics for its genre, an amazingly good combat system... but it doesn't have the nostalgia attached to it, because it came out in 2017. This just shows you that you're choosing things not because of their inherent quality but because of your personal attachment to them, and those are, again, very different criteria.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:20 PM   #94
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Perfect Video Game:

Championship Manager - all pre-FM versions

If you don't know what it is, you have missed out...
lazypucker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 08:10 PM   #95
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

God of War for PS4 was a perfect game in my opinion. Or pretty damn close!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post: