Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Got a Fenix 3 HR yesterday. Really like it so far, although I'm not used to wearing a watch.
I've had a Fenix 2 for maybe 3 years now and it's been great. I'm finding however that it's getting more and more difficult to keep it updated and sync it to my phone (I haven't actually been able to get the thing to sync for about 3 months now actually). I'm thinking about maybe upgrading to the Fenix 3 or trying Suunto out.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #22
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do any of these have really good GPS? I'm thinking of something that I could use while riding my motorcycle and then maybe when I'm out fishing (although its not entirely necessary then).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #23
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Do any of these have really good GPS? I'm thinking of something that I could use while riding my motorcycle and then maybe when I'm out fishing (although its not entirely necessary then).
I'm not sure about riding a motorcycle (I'm sure it would work fine - depends on the polling rate for GPS location), but the Fenix watches do this sort of thing very well. I've tracked myself all over various long runs and hikes in the Rockies, foothills, or in the city.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #24
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Smart-watches do nothing for me.

But a smart strap? I could work with that.
That is a great idea!
I would love smart watch functionality, but there's no way I'm trading in wearing an actual nice watch.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #25
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I bought a Fossil Q Marshal on the weekend. Nice weight and looks good. So far it seems to work well with my Samsung S6 for viewing texts and email.

Spoiler!
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #26
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR, and I love it. Quick notifications, my wrist buzzes when I get a message and I can view it there or just leave my phone in my pocket. Very handy for me in my work environment. Tracks my shifts in hockey quite accurately if worn correctly, it does the HR monitoring. Also handy for weather, also controls my music app on my phone. Its quite minimalist so its not a huge gaudy tech thing, and it lasts 5 days or so (I skate daily, so that uses quite a bit more power when tracking activity), and its comfortable, much more so than my Casio Protrek. Would recommend. Girlfriend has a Fitbit Blaze, can't do near the integration with the smartphone that the Garmin's can. Would avoid for that alone (plus I had a Charge HR before this one and I hated it)
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #27
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pebble is being sold to Fitbit who plan to phase out the "Pebble" brand.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #28
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use a fitbit surge and I really like it. I have used a nike band and a jawbone in the past and this fitbit is far superior (as expected with the pace of technology). I like that I get notifications on my wrist and I can see whether or not I want to grab the phone. surge is meant to be more fitness than smart, although there are some smart functionalities built in.

the surge has built in gps which I really like; when you sync to the phone/computer you can see detailed mapping of your movement. gps does eat the battery though.

the surge isn't water proof so I use my showering time to charge the watch and I have never had the battery run out on me when I do this. some people have reported rashes from the plastic band but I haven't had that happen to me.

I would buy it again!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #29
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heard on the radio today there are rumblings of fitbit buying a smart watch manufacturer. Any guesses who that would be? Moto maybe?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #30
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Heard on the radio today there are rumblings of fitbit buying a smart watch manufacturer. Any guesses who that would be? Moto maybe?
Look up. Look wayyyyy up. Not that far up. Only two posts up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Pebble is being sold to Fitbit who plan to phase out the "Pebble" brand.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #31
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #32
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If the Fenix 3 is on your radar, and have another companies accessories. The Fenix 5 is coming out. I tested it last week. It's pretty nice. The one I tested looks similar to the 3, but was a little smaller. Had a nice look to it. It will connect to all of the garmin accessories, and competitors as well.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #33
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Look up. Look wayyyyy up. Not that far up. Only two posts up.

dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #34
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I use a fitbit surge and I really like it.

I would buy it again!
Really? How long have you had it? I've had mine a year and a half and the strap has torn apart. It's a huge flaw that's well document and Fitbit won't do anything about it. The bands can't be replaced which is an insane design flaw.

I would never buy the Surge again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Yes the watch works great, but the strap tears apart after 6 months and you can't replace it.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #35
iamajai
Draft Pick

I withdraw my Pebble recommendation. They were purchased by Fitbit and looks like support is kaput. Works for now, but who knows for how long until a phone OS update breaks things.
iamajai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #36
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have the garmin vivoactive before, and support was awesome. I took it swimming, it died. I called Garmin, they just said, ship it back, once they get it, I get a new one. Happened twice. I then got the Fenix 3 and gave the vivoactive to my brother.

I tested the Fenix 5x today. Last week I tested the 5s. The 5s is smaller, good for people who don't like the size of the Fenix 3. The 5x is the same size as the Fenix 3. I tested the 5x on one arm and a 3 on the other for todays run.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:47 PM   #37
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I have the garmin vivoactive before, and support was awesome. I took it swimming, it died. I called Garmin, they just said, ship it back, once they get it, I get a new one. Happened twice. I then got the Fenix 3 and gave the vivoactive to my brother.

I tested the Fenix 5x today. Last week I tested the 5s. The 5s is smaller, good for people who don't like the size of the Fenix 3. The 5x is the same size as the Fenix 3. I tested the 5x on one arm and a 3 on the other for todays run.
Out of curiousity, how are you getting these early looks? Do you blog or write for some publication? I love reading about new gear and tech.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:19 PM   #38
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just test for them. I would love to be a blogger, because I love gear, but I'm a crappy writer. The company that designed the technology that Garmin uses is actually out of Cochrane. Garmin bought them a few years back. I've been a tester for about 6 years. Anyone can do it, if you have free time during the day and don't mind going to Cochrane. It's a good way to get Garmin gear as well. They give you credit for the time you test. So today, I earned $20 worth of credit, which I can bank and later use to buy Garmin products at employee pricing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 10:11 AM   #39
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I just test for them. I would love to be a blogger, because I love gear, but I'm a crappy writer. The company that designed the technology that Garmin uses is actually out of Cochrane. Garmin bought them a few years back. I've been a tester for about 6 years. Anyone can do it, if you have free time during the day and don't mind going to Cochrane. It's a good way to get Garmin gear as well. They give you credit for the time you test. So today, I earned $20 worth of credit, which I can bank and later use to buy Garmin products at employee pricing.
I need to get in on this. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #40
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pm me your email. I can forward on the next testing request to you.