Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2024, 08:39 PM   #5961
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
Planning to put a bedroom in our 2005 built home.
Do we have to change the basement windows and make the window openings bigger to be compliant for egress or is our current window opening “grandfathered” as it was compliant when we built it?
Thank you
Sounds like this is a new bedroom though. You’d need an egress window.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2024, 10:03 PM   #5962
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If it was built in 2005 then most likely they already have egress windows.

And if not then imo you'd be crazy not to make it bigger regardless of laws.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 07:37 AM   #5963
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Planning to put a bedroom in our 2005 built home.
Do we have to change the basement windows and make the window openings bigger to be compliant for egress or is our current window opening “grandfathered” as it was compliant when we built it?
Thank you
I don't think there is any 'grandfathering' of the egress window laws.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 09:23 AM   #5964
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Depends how much you dislike your grandfather that you're having stay in that new bedroom.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 09:58 AM   #5965
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone have experience with powered anode rods for hot water heaters? https://www.corroprotec.com/. I have a relatively new hot water tank (~3yrs) and the water just started smelling stinky, like sulphur. I was going to replace the sacrificial anode rod this week but I came across these powered anodes and they seem much better. Does anyone here know if they work as well as advertised for preventing rust and removing sulphur smell?

edit: just bought one. I'll report back in a few weeks if I remember. Feel free to remind me if you're curious

Last edited by wireframe; 04-08-2024 at 02:36 PM.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:55 PM   #5966
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
There is, sort of. If your home was built before one was required you do not need to install one to meet current standards. But as soon as you make any changes, like adding a bedroom to basement, any new addition/construction must meet current building standards, which means an egress from within the bedroom will be required.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 09:10 PM   #5967
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It’s not just the building standards, your insurance company will be interested in your egress as well.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 09:21 PM   #5968
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
It’s not just the building standards, your insurance company will be interested in your egress as well.
Thank you all for your help.
Planning to get a permit as well now for insurance purposes and in case we want to put a bedroom in the basement in the future.
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:54 PM   #5969
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thank you all for your help.
Planning to get a permit as well now for insurance purposes and in case we want to put a bedroom in the basement in the future.
Also don't just assume the hole isn't big enough for an egress window. They do make egress windows fit in smaller holes and it'll depend on which window you put in. Some windows just need to be replaced and you wont need to go through the costly process of cutting it bigger.

For example some windows that swing upwards instead of just sliding to the side would be a good option.

Last edited by Zary's-Mustache; 04-10-2024 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:32 PM   #5970
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

These are basic requirements for proper egress:
Minimum surface area of window
Minimum width of window
Height from bottom of egress to 'floor' (may be both minimum and maximum).
Must be easy to operate

The numbers tied to these requirements may vary by municipality, or province to province. I don't know.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:34 PM   #5971
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I believe this window is like the minimum allowed.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/far...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 04-10-2024, 11:11 PM   #5972
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

This is a good summary of egress requirements for Alberta.

https://www.thegreategressco.ca/page...s-requirements
Old 04-11-2024, 01:08 AM   #5973
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Assuming your house is underground fed, yeah honestly not much to know aside from any type of lubricants you may be allergic to. Hopefully the transformer feeding your house is close to your property, the further away the transformer is the more expensive it will be.
Underground, directly across the street from a transformer...

"A project manager would be able to give you a more accurate assessment, but to answer your question about a ballpark figure... probably $30K-70K"

I was hoping for something in the $15-20K range based on some information I found online (even with the across the road aspect). I thought that there were a few other transformers near by that might not need to trench across the road. I went outside to double check and it turns out they're telecom boxes instead. Dammit.

I was thinking it might be a good "investment" since I read that if a transformer gets maxed out, they won't allow others to get a 200A upgrade and there's no plans to upgrade transformers for the foreseeable future. I'm still trying to decide whether to put the $1K deposit down to get a more accurate idea and confirm whether the guy on the phone was being serious, or if the guy on the phone gave me a ballpark "#### off" quote.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:39 AM   #5974
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it in conduit? That seems ridiculous. Enmax didn't actually charge me anything when I went from 100A to 200A. I was also moving the meter from the house to garage, but the transformer is just above that corner, so they didn't have to go far.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:35 AM   #5975
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is it in conduit? That seems ridiculous. Enmax didn't actually charge me anything when I went from 100A to 200A. I was also moving the meter from the house to garage, but the transformer is just above that corner, so they didn't have to go far.
No idea. That's why I'm tempted to go through with the $1K deposit to get more info. I kinda follow the logic of why the dude is saying $30-70K in his explanation, but what he's describing doesn't seem like what they'd need to do for my place.

The guy's reasoning on the phone was the initial assessment was that from the information they collected, they needed to dig north, potentially into the driveway then straight across west to cross the road, through some lawn and pathway before finally reaching my house for a distance of 35-50 meters. However, a project manager would go in more detail to figure out the most optimal path. If that's what they actually need to do, which is basically underground for 2-3 properties away plus crossing the road, yeah. I could see that being the quote.

But if I stand at my meter, I can see the transformer and I estimate it's around 50-70 feet away, not 100-150 feet (Transformer around 5 feet from road and assuming road is about 20 feet, driveway is 20 feet and then meter is another 10-15) feet from there. Other than the road and sidewalk, a lot of the trenching would also be in lawn, not driveways and pathways. It is not 100-150 feet away unless C or S shaped paths are being selected.

Last edited by DoubleF; 04-11-2024 at 09:39 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 11:17 AM   #5976
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many amps does a level 2 charger require? I put in a natural gas stove, and now have 40amps of 220v breakers doing f all.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 11:21 AM   #5977
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
How many amps does a level 2 charger require? I put in a natural gas stove, and now have 40amps of 220v breakers doing f all.
You can run a level 2 at 32 amps, which keeps you under the 80% breaker rating. The breaker is the cheap part, but if you don't need to run cable far it might not be bad. If it were me I'd put a 50A breaker, but if you don't, I'd at least have the wiring rated for 50A for an easy upgrade.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:30 PM   #5978
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need some countertop work done in kitchen. Currently it is a laminate top on a 1" maple counter. We either want to replace the current laminate or replace the whole counter top with something else e.g. Corian. We've ruled out granite and marble since they are too cold to the touch.

We also want to build a raised counter bar with the same maple finish, topped by the new counter material, including built in power. So it's a bit of a cabinetry project too.

Any suggestions who to talk to?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 03:58 PM   #5979
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Anyone have a line on someone for a small furnace duct reapair job? An insulation contractor knocked off a couple shoddy runs and I've got some disconnected vents now.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:21 PM   #5980
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Try forum member Everlast - he likely knows somebody.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post: