Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #41
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

any move that pushes rinaldo further into the pressbox is good (nordstrom), but this player might actually provide positive contributions on the ice. good signing
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #42
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrit View Post
Enough of all these minor moves up front already. Significant changes are gonna be needed up front if this team is to go anywhere in the playoffs. How can everyone understand this except for Brad Treliving?
Because it takes two to tango?

I'm glad he hasn't rushed into anything, I'm sure if there was a deal (he seems to be one of the more active GM's) it would've happened.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #43
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Depth. Nothing to really see here. Still waiting for the post arbitration trades to go down league wide. I think we will see something big on the Flames front.
I disagree. To get a player as versatile as Simon for league minimum that can literally play any forward position, on any line is a tremendous signing.

This is a guy that has hung with Crosby and Guentzel at even strength. He's a very capable player that albeit has a limited offensive impact.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #44
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be hard to find two players who are closer comparables...
Jankowski || Born: September 13, 1994
REGULAR SEASON: 208 GP / 36 G / 28 A / 64 P | | PLAYOFFS: 10 GP / 0 G / 0 A / 0 P

Simon || Born: August 8, 1994
REGULAR SEASON: 173 GP / 19 G / 45 A / 64 P | | PLAYOFFS: 12 GP / 0 G / 4 A / 4 P
Old 10-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #45
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I wonder how many posters here had ever heard of Dominik Simon before today? I know I hadn't. From the comments from Pens fans it seems like a good signing though.
bigpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #46
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Penguins did not qualify Simon who had a cap and salary of $750 K last year.

He is under sized and not overly aggressive. got :29 /game on the PP and :14 on the PK.

He missed the play offs with an injury,

from CBS

Quote:
Simon underwent shoulder surgery April 29 and is expected to miss 6-7 months.
feb 27,2020

Quote:
Simon was bounced from the first line against Los Angeles on Wednesday following the addition of Conor Sheary at the deadline.

Dropped into a fourth-line role, Simon logged a mere 7:29 of ice time, his fewest minutes this season. While his demotion may not be permanent, the Czech native should be considered a low-end fantasy option as long as he remains off of Sidney Crosby's line.
He seems to be a place holder.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #47
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanInEdmonton View Post
I’m no longer sure what this team is doing anymore. The only thing that hasn’t been addressed is our most pressing area of concern. The top line.
He played on Crosby's line. So there's that.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #48
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpete View Post
I wonder how many posters here had ever heard of Dominik Simon before today? I know I hadn't. From the comments from Pens fans it seems like a good signing though.

I picked him up in my fantasy league for a couple of games. For a bit he was with Crosby and had some chemistry. Other than that I don’t think I’ve ever seen him play or just not paying attention to him when he did play
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #49
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not comparing players, but when I hear "nice player, but hands of stone", I think Paul Byron when he had that year of firing pucks at the goalie on breakaways. Things change.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #50
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really like this signing.

When Tkachuk went down against Dallas we ended up moving Reider up the line up. I liked Reider on the 4th line as a PK guy but he was really out of place playing in the top 6.

Now we have a guy who was playing with Crosby and Guentzel who we could plug into a top line.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #51
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Another great depth signing at league minimum. He should be able to play up and down the line up. Nice work Tre

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #52
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just got a little harder for Rinaldo, Robinson or Gawdin to make the team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #53
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is an example of why I rarely post anymore.

Depth guy signed for basically league min. Fans of team he is leaving say he has warts (can't score goals) but for the price Flames signed him for, its a great value deal. Guy played a chunk of time with one of the best players in the world. No one, from the Pens to Flames fans, expect him to be a #1 line all-star.

This Thread Instead
-Treliving is not doing his job/this sucks: he should not sign depth guys, he should not sign potential diamonds in the rough from other teams/Europe, the heck with this where is the 1st line impact players, etc.
-Dig up old article how guy who makes min salary, is not a 1st line all-star, yet managed to work hard and play a good chunk with one of the best players in the world, was demoted at one point off the first line and saw his ice team drop. What the? He is a depth player, for leauge min essentially, who was managing to play with the best player in the world for a significant period of time.
-Etc.

Sigh.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #54
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
any move that pushes rinaldo further into the pressbox is good (nordstrom), but this player might actually provide positive contributions on the ice. good signing
Amen. Rinaldo is just not NHL calibre. Arguably the worst player still in or around the fringes of the league.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #55
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpete View Post
He played 400 Minutes with Sid ( over 36 games) and 529 minutes without Sid

43 % of his time was spent on a line with Sid and the average CP would have had trouble guessing what team he was on.

Maybe he will spell off Gaudreau or Lindholm on Monahan's line
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #56
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like this.

Our 4th line is being turned into a solid utility based line that should be able to drive the puck out of our defensive zone. Much better than having Jankowski/Rinaldo on the ice.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #57
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
This thread is an example of why I rarely post anymore.

Depth guy signed for basically league min. Fans of team he is leaving say he has warts (can't score goals) but for the price Flames signed him for, its a great value deal. Guy played a chunk of time with one of the best players in the world. No one, from the Pens to Flames fans, expect him to be a #1 line all-star.

This Thread Instead
-Treliving is not doing his job/this sucks: he should not sign depth guys, he should not sign potential diamonds in the rough from other teams/Europe, the heck with this where is the 1st line impact players, etc.
-Dig up old article how guy who makes min salary, is not a 1st line all-star, yet managed to work hard and play a good chunk with one of the best players in the world, was demoted at one point off the first line and saw his ice team drop. What the? He is a depth player, for leauge min essentially, who was managing to play with the best player in the world for a significant period of time.
-Etc.

Sigh.
So true. Same when trade proposals are being discussed. If it ain't a Cale Makar or Elias Petterson we don't want it. Everyone is overpriced or too old for the mighty Flames.

Some people have their heads in the clouds.

As for the player. Hope he hustles. As a 4th liner that's pretty much all that is expected. Out hustle your opponent 5on5 and on the PK and good things will happen.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #58
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

43 % of his time was spent on a line with Sid and the average CP would have had trouble guessing what team he was on.

Case in point: this misses everything entirely.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #59
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good signing.. as long as the young guys (Gawdin, Phillips, etc.) are given a fair shot at making the team this season.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #60
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

I very much doubt it. Pittsburgh often features utility players in the top six because they don't have a lot of forward depth. They manage to tread water by doing so purely on the strength of how good Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin are. It is a totally different situation in Calgary, where the Flames top players are not as good, and their overall forward depth is much stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote