Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 06:37 AM   #2461
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Flames need another proven top six player. It is not a desire, it is a must have. They need another proven scorer or a young guy on the verge of breaking out. They cannot afford to go into this season with the same group of forwards. They just can’t. But with Lucic’s contract on the books the hands of the team is tied, The Flames are actually working with a $76M cap because of the dead space Lucic creates. It is that contract that is preventing the Flames from bringing in the talent we need. So now improvements will have to be made by dealing away Ryan or Backlund, who are only slightly overpaid for what they bring. Treliving will now have to outright win a trade to improve the team rather than making a win-win decent deal. Sad that one contract can do so much damage.
Meh. Pretty much every team deals with 5m worth of bad deals... at least. If BT can't make a good team after 6 years on the job with 76m I would say he's just not a very good GM, Lucic or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #2462
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Meh. Pretty much every team deals with 5m worth of bad deals... at least. If BT can't make a good team after 6 years on the job with 76m I would say he's just not a very good GM, Lucic or not.
Actually, the good teams don’t. The good teams don’t have these albatross contracts weighing them down. The fact that we have so many should take the shine off Treliving. For all the good he does in negotiating RFA deals, he should makes massive blunders with guys who have UFA status, and much to the detriment of the team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 07:01 AM   #2463
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, the good teams don’t. The good teams don’t have these albatross contracts weighing them down. The fact that we have so many should take the shine off Treliving. For all the good he does in negotiating RFA deals, he should makes massive blunders with guys who have UFA status, and much to the detriment of the team.
The Stanley Cup champion Lightning literally just waived a 5m contract that no in the entire league wanted for free kind of flies in the face of that. I mean Johnson > Lucic obviously but Johnson isn't what he used to be either. If he was a good top 9 player, a team like Ottawa or Detroit would've picked him up. Now they probably lose Cirelli. Tre's problem isn't Lucic. His problem has been raiding the pick supply constantly to bring in mediocre players. Now we are left in a situation where we have less impressive young talent than our rivals because we only draft round 1 every other year and he also loves to trade those 2nds, 3rds and 4ths. Stop trading draft picks for bad players and we will be on our way in a couple years. Ryan and Backlund are not really overpaid imo. I dont like Backlund's term but 5.35 is fine for what he brings. I think your expectation that Brad be perfect with contracts is a pretty tall order.

Last edited by TheoFleury; 10-13-2020 at 07:03 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 07:08 AM   #2464
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Vegas has a $7M backup goalie
St. Louis has Steen making $5.75M
Philly has JVR at $7M
The Islanders cap friendly page is full of questionable contracts.

We can’t start nit picking here but outside of Lucic what horrible contracts do the Flames have?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 07:11 AM   #2465
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Stanley Cup champion Lightning literally just waived a 5m contract that no in the entire league wanted for free kind of flies in the face of that. I mean Johnson > Lucic obviously but Johnson isn't what he used to be either. If he was a good top 9 player, a team like Ottawa or Detroit would've picked him up. Now they probably lose Cirelli. Tre's problem isn't Lucic. His problem has been raiding the pick supply constantly to bring in mediocre players. Now we are left in a situation where we have less impressive young talent than our rivals because we only draft round 1 every other year and he also loves to trade those 2nds, 3rds and 4ths. Stop trading draft picks for bad players and we will be on our way in a couple years. Ryan and Backlund are not really overpaid imo. I dont like Backlund's term but 5.35 is fine for what he brings. I think your expectation that Brad be perfect with contracts is a pretty tall order.
Only draft in round 1 every other year?

Treliving has been GM for 7 drafts and did not draft in the 1st round twice but if you look at our roster there is only a 2018 first rounder missing from the system as Treliving acquired 5th overall in 2015 Noah Hanifin when He traded Hamilton.

14- Bennett
15- Hanifin (via trade)
16- Tkachuk
17- Valimaki
18- N/A
19- Pelletier
20- Zary

Doesn’t look like every other year to me?
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 07:14 AM   #2466
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Philly has JVR at $7M

We can’t start nit picking here but outside of Lucic what horrible contracts do the Flames have?
Honestly, after watching him in the playoffs, I'm not even as against the Lucic contract as I was before. He's absolutely overpaid but imo only by like, 1.5m-2m. Would I rather have the entire 5.25 available to spend elsewhere, absolutely, but if that's our only bad contract we're not doing as bad as people make it seem.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 07:15 AM   #2467
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Treliving has been GM for 7 drafts and did not draft in the 1st round twice but if you look at our roster there is only a 2018 first rounder missing from the system as Treliving acquired 5th overall in 2015 Noah Hanifin when He traded Hamilton.

14- Bennett
15- Hanifin (via trade)
16- Tkachuk
17- Valimaki
18- N/A
19- Pelletier
20- Zary

The great thing about those last 2 picks as they potentially make up a replacement for johnny and Mony together. Potentially
Old 10-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #2468
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Philly has JVR at $7M

Don't forget Kevin Hayes when talking about Philly. How about Jamie Benn's 9.5m? Coyle and Krejci have pretty uncomfortable cap hits. Washington had Holtby holding them back for 3 years and were still really good. I dont like Faulk's 6.5m for St. Louis either. Pittsburgh had Bjugstad eating up 4m as well as Murray wasting 3m for the last 2 years. The only good team that doesn't really have any questionable deals is Colorado and they didn't even make the WCF for all that perfect cap management.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #2469
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

14- Bennett

15- Hanifin (via trade)

16- Tkachuk

17- Valimaki

18- N/A

19- Pelletier

20- Zary

Got a little loose with the language lol. It feels like every other year. I think Pelletier and Zary show that maybe BT is starting to learn. Didnt he want to trade a 1st for zucker? I'm of the mindset that a team should never trade their first unless they are a top 5/10 team.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:42 AM   #2470
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Got a little loose with the language lol. It feels like every other year. I think Pelletier and Zary show that maybe BT is starting to learn. Didnt he want to trade a 1st for zucker? I'm of the mindset that a team should never trade their first unless they are a top 5/10 team.
Absolutely agree. I don’t have the kind of free time but maybe for a keyboard warrior who enjoys I would love to see a team list of what could have been drafting, and what was after trades. What if we hadn’t given up the first plus for hamonic? What if Edmonton had kept all of thier draft picks where would they be. Again I don’t have the time but to me this would really lay out the question with facts. For me firsts above 20 should pretty much be verboten for trades.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:48 AM   #2471
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The thing is we can talk about Trelivings goods and bads all day long. He has next season to get to minimum the 2nd round or hes gone. The next GM comes in cleans up whatever he can and rise and repeat.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:50 AM   #2472
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

14- Bennett
15- Hanifin (via trade)
16- Tkachuk
17- Valimaki
18- N/A
19- Pelletier
20- Zary

The Flames didn’t pick a player in the first round of the 2015 draft. The fact that we traded for a player who was doesn’t change that.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:55 AM   #2473
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How about Jamie Benn's 9.5m.
Bad contract or not, he was a beast in the playoffs and helped his team to the finals.

There is a different between great with a high cap hit and simply having a high cap hit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2020, 07:58 AM   #2474
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Too many wingers in Montreal...there is talk about offloading one (Armia, or even our old friend Paul Byron!)

I think there could be an opportunity there to grab another winger that could slot up and down the lineup. Both around $3M so it would require some offloading of excess contracts on our side (Rittich or Ryan, both of whom I would like to keep. Or possibly Hanifin if we can get some valuable futures)
Old 10-13-2020, 08:03 AM   #2475
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Too many wingers in Montreal...there is talk about offloading one (Armia, or even our old friend Paul Byron!)

I think there could be an opportunity there to grab another winger that could slot up and down the lineup. Both around $3M so it would require some offloading of excess contracts on our side (Rittich or Ryan, both of whom I would like to keep. Or possibly Hanifin if we can get some valuable futures)
Armia has oodles of talent and is great defensively - would be a great pickup
The Following User Says Thank You to Burner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 08:13 AM   #2476
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames need another proven top six player. It is not a desire, it is a must have. They need another proven scorer or a young guy on the verge of breaking out. They cannot afford to go into this season with the same group of forwards. They just can’t. But with Lucic’s contract on the books the hands of the team is tied, The Flames are actually working with a $76M cap because of the dead space Lucic creates. It is that contract that is preventing the Flames from bringing in the talent we need. So now improvements will have to be made by dealing away Ryan or Backlund, who are only slightly overpaid for what they bring. Treliving will now have to outright win a trade to improve the team rather than making a win-win decent deal. Sad that one contract can do so much damage.
I don’t disagree with you about needing another top 6 guy but the flames actually do have 3 young guys who could breakout in Dube, Mangiapane and Bennett. Dube and Mangiapane showed very good progression could jump to 60 point production, Flames could be fine. Both also played well in the playoffs too.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #2477
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Tanev is a downgrade on Brodie offensively and I think the offense will suffer from that. But the defense should hold up better, so overall I think the team is a bit better. Nothing has been done to solve the scoring issues in the playoffs though.
The scoring issues stemmed from a lack of offense on the top line. The only way to address that now is via a trade. But it also bears pointing out that the Flames were the #3-scoring team in the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 10-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #2478
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
The great thing about those last 2 picks as they potentially make up a replacement for johnny and Mony together. Potentially
Are you suggesting that Pelletier and Zary will be as good as Monahan and Gaudreau? Even potentially? Highly doubtful. I have more hope for Zary, but so far I don't see a reason to even pencil in Pelletier into the top 6 at any point.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #2479
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Are you suggesting that Pelletier and Zary will be as good as Monahan and Gaudreau? Even potentially? Highly doubtful. I have more hope for Zary, but so far I don't see a reason to even pencil in Pelletier into the top 6 at any point.
I was being optimistic for sure, but I do think they potentially can slot in well to the top 6 in a year or 2

Just nice to see the Flames drafting in the 1st round consistently!
Old 10-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #2480
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. Treliving was working on a deal to move the Flames's first round pick at a time when they were sitting second in the entire NHL.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 10-13-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Closed Thread