Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #2181
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
Yeah I have a bunch of neat western stuff. Just above the wagon wheel, hanging on the post is a branding iron with my initial on it.
So you're a cult leader
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #2182
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah - my followers are a bunch of cattle
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #2183
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1319666521870749698
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #2184
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, choose a day when it's -10 and full flurries.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #2185
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Sure, choose a day when it's -10 and full flurries.
To be fair, they've probably had this scheduled for a while...

On one hand, they could have expected better weather; on the other, they should know better.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #2186
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Concept plan for the Fieldhouse/Foothills Athletic Park...

https://t.co/TsrvURQjjM?amp=1
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 07:21 PM   #2187
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post

135page 28MB document... wow.
Lots of cool info in there including longer term development plans for Crowchild. Some great reference material to what other cities have done, as well as what could be done here too.

If nothing else everyone should take a look at slide #70... the tailgating party page. Obviously by then we will ALL be driving ONLY trucks. ha! eat that Musk! oh and slide #133 I think there's a drug deal going down bottom right.

Personally I still see major hurdles w.r.t. parking, ingress/egress (despite the major roadways nearby), not to mention community engagement. Crowchild may continue to be a major traffic bottleneck through that zone and I had hoped more could be done.

This space would be a perfect venue for in/outdoor/covered sports, conventions, and concerts... but Calgary (and that area) is incredibly noise averse and prone to NIMBY'ism. At least they do have consideration for year round activities... whereas currently it's basically a single season setup.

Not sure there if are any considerations for shared occupancy/usage with the adjacent UofC, as some of the UofC services and amenities are getting very old... and potentially some major new development is required.

Lastly... all this take time... and money. Looks like the city has taken over 10years to get to this point alone. With government funding and energy-based revenues in the crapper... are we looking at more taxation to cover this? or redeployment? Will post-Covid have any impact on this and/or university?
Evidently budget discussion was not part of this presentations scope.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:08 PM   #2188
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I'm pretty impressed with how little at grade parking there is. Whenever I see McMahon I always think what a waste of space all those empty parking lot's are (plus an eye sore). Do we really need a CFL practice field thou? I mean if their going to remove the ballparks to make room for the fieldhouse/aquatics/arena why not put one back in that spot?
Old 05-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #2189
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Crowchild may continue to be a major traffic bottleneck through that zone and I had hoped more could be done.
There was entire study of Crowchild done before this which should resolve any concerns you have about traffic: https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...ail-study.html
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 01:37 PM   #2190
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Great concepts, but knowing this City's history for getting things done.. I doubt it even gets past concept and nowhere near mobilization.

It's gonna get #farkased
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:29 PM   #2191
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty impressed with how little at grade parking there is. Whenever I see McMahon I always think what a waste of space all those empty parking lot's are (plus an eye sore). Do we really need a CFL practice field thou? I mean if their going to remove the ballparks to make room for the fieldhouse/aquatics/arena why not put one back in that spot?
It could be a general community field that's not used by pro teams.

And then by the time this vision fully pans out (if it does with how this city drags it's feet), CSEC may get a MLS team that I'm sure they strongly desire. At that point, they may build a seperate practice/training facility for both the MLS team and CFL team; if it still exists then.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:17 PM   #2192
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sign me up! That looks great! Still think we should build a new football/soccer stadium where the current bus barns are next to the new arena. Now that would be an entertainment district! Convention Center, arena, football/soccer stadium with residential, retail, and hotels woven in between them all.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #2193
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bragg Creek, not Calgary, but saw this on Reddit:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...of-bragg-creek

https://gateway.ca/

Quote:
That blueprint, he said, will include a 120-room hotel, 170 units of owned and rental condos, expanded commercial amenities, pathways and reflecting pond, an amphitheatre and improvements to the road network.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 02:30 PM   #2194
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Council committee votes to spend $45M on expansion of Calgary's Repsol Sports Centre

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ium%3Dsharebar

I'm excited.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #2195
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Council committee votes to spend $45M on expansion of Calgary's Repsol Sports Centre

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ium%3Dsharebar

I'm excited.
Goes to city council next month for the final vote.
What do you think are better odds, Farkas votes "No", or Farkas says "This should wait until after the election"?
Old 05-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #2196
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Goes to city council next month for the final vote.
What do you think are better odds, Farkas votes "No", or Farkas says "This should wait until after the election"?
I think it depends which way he thinks Nenshi is going to vote, need to show he doesn't fall in line!

Then again, he was a supporter for financially bailing out the downtown YMCA, so he may make that point as a reason to vote no, this money could go there.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #2197
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty impressed with how little at grade parking there is. Whenever I see McMahon I always think what a waste of space all those empty parking lot's are (plus an eye sore).
I think you'd be surprised how little parking is actually there for a 35,000-seat stadium; about 2,400 stalls. There's a lot less parking at McMahon than there is at Stampede Park around the Saddledome (3,000+), even though it accommodates almost twice as many people.

That said, I echo RichieRich's comments: I foresee major parking and ingress/egress issues. Not that intensifying the uses at Foothills/McMahon isn't worth it, and not to say I support building a crapload of parking structures, but it's already an ongoing issue at Stamps games. I appreciate that they put a lot of thought into making the interface between the Banff Trail LRT station and the stadium much, much better: it needs to be.

Quote:
Do we really need a CFL practice field thou? I mean if their going to remove the ballparks to make room for the fieldhouse/aquatics/arena why not put one back in that spot?
The idea is it gives the Stampeders somewhere to practice when the stadium is being used for something else.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:34 PM   #2198
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Bragg Creek, not Calgary, but saw this on Reddit:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...of-bragg-creek

https://gateway.ca/
I've always wondered how there wasn't more tourist infrastructure in Bragg Creek. The mountain bike trail system is at a spot where it's worthy of attracting people for bike vacations.

Bad news for the rest of us in that it's going to get even more crowded.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:23 PM   #2199
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
The idea is it gives the Stampeders somewhere to practice when the stadium is being used for something else.
Yes... that seems like poor use of the space. I mean, I'd rather have that then at grade parking but it's an awful lot of space for such a niche purpose.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:19 AM   #2200
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Where would you rather have them practice when the stadium is being used for something else?

Operationally it's in the best interest of the stadium to have a practice field nearby so that other revenue-generating activities can go on at the stadium while non-revenue-generating activities (practices) can go on on the other field. The Stamps have had a practice field down the hill from the stadium since pretty much "Day One" at McMahon. Unless you're willing to let Stamps practices take priority over other uses of the stadium—which admittedly are limited these days, which is a big underlying problem—they need another field nearby.

That said, it's not as though this plan didn't consider it. Go back and look at slide 42; in plan "A" they rotated the field around, in plan "B" they eliminated the field entirely.

Frankly I don't think it's a glaring issue that they keep a 6,000 sq yd patch of grass (it's not a regulation-size (150x65) field, FYI) stuck in a corner of the site with limited accessibility. Most people probably don't even know that the practice field is already there, and has been there for 60 years...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote