Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2020, 07:06 PM   #41
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Some details

Couldn't really say on whether a connecting flight would be eligible too. Say Arrive from Hawaii from Vancouver, but travel domestic from Van to Cgy. I think that will have a impact for my plans over spring break as there are few direct flight from Calgary to where we vacation.
I'm still waiting for confirmation on this, but right now, I *think* that as long as your first point of entry into Canada is Calgary (YYC), your flight qualifies for the test program.

For example, if your flight home is Somewhere Warm to Denver to Calgary, it would qualify.

But if it's Somewhere Warm to Toronto to Calgary, it would not qualify, since Toronto is your first point of entry into Canada.

Here are all the international destinations that are currently available with a non-stop flight from YYC:

Denver (DEN) - United Airlines
Dallas (DFW) - American Airlines
Palm Springs (PSP) - Westjet
Phoenix (PHX) - Westjet
Los Angeles (LAX) - Westjet

Cancun, Mexico (CUN) - Westjet
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (PVR) - Westjet

Amsterdam (AMS) - KLM

Yep, that's it! This pilot program may help bring back a few more.

The Westjet flights to Cancun and Puerto Vallarta just restarted earlier this month. The rest have been operating for a while.

Calgary to Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR) keeps getting cancelled and pushed back (now scheduled for December). Costa Rica just removed their requirement for a negative test result.

Mexico does not require a negative test result or quarantine on their end.

Hawaii is a complicated subject at the moment. You can avoid Hawaii's quarantine on their end with a negative test result, but they're only accepting tests from certain U.S. labs. No flights from Canada directly to Hawaii have restarted yet. They just got cancelled and pushed back (again) to December.

At San Francisco airport (SFO), United Airlines is offering two types of covid tests that meet Hawaii's requirements. Canadians with a long enough connection at SFO could potentially make use of the $250 USD option (ouch), which takes about 15 minutes.

--

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 10-22-2020 at 07:10 PM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #42
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Some details

Couldn't really say on whether a connecting flight would be eligible too. Say Arrive from Hawaii from Vancouver, but travel domestic from Van to Cgy. I think that will have a impact for my plans over spring break as there are few direct flight from Calgary to where we vacation.
Curious where this is from? As a Canadian citizen, this says I would still need to stay for 14 days to take advantage of this program. My challenge with the existing rule is needing to stay in Canada for 14 days at a time, although obviously would be better not to have to quarantine for that time.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #43
spetch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Curious where this is from? As a Canadian citizen, this says I would still need to stay for 14 days to take advantage of this program. My challenge with the existing rule is needing to stay in Canada for 14 days at a time, although obviously would be better not to have to quarantine for that time.

https://www.alberta.ca/international...t-project.aspx
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:03 PM   #44
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

We flew International in August/September. We booked an Iceland trip because the numbers were really low and we could get flights to go there. Also, most of the things to see are outdoors therefore it didn’t really matter if the museums were closed. We also mostly booked accommodations with kitchens so we didn’t need to worry about restaurants if we didn’t want to.

Routes
Calgary - Toronto - London - Reykjavik
Reykjavik - London - Vancouver - Calgary

Every flight except the YVR-YYC was well under capacity.
Mandatory masks on every flight.
Air Canada handed out kits on each flight which had masks, gloves, antiseptic wipes, single use sanitizer, two small bottles of sanitizer, 250ml bottle of water and a bag of pretzels. They also policed the passengers and would get after the odd one who wasn’t wearing their mask right. The vast majority of flyers were taking things seriously. I definitely felt safe. Wearing a mask for about 15 hours wasn’t onerous. Eating and drinking you had the mask off. You could get enough breaks if the mask bothered you. I’d just suggest you get masks that are comfortable.

The quarantine wasn’t a big deal. It prevented daily bike rides but with home grocery delivery and everyone WFH it wasn’t terrible. It was also known before hand and was just part of the experience.

If you are traveling the biggest thing is to expect things to go wrong or things to change. We had flights cancelled on us weeks before, and also on the day we hit Iceland. We had quarantine rules change in Iceland just before we left. We ended up booking two different airlines back to London so we were sure to get back in time for our transatlantic flight.

With the quarantine rule changes (which are pretty close to what we had to do in Iceland) it makes things easier. The drawback is lots of countries are spiking again and therefore might not be the ones you want to go to. Also Europe doesn’t want us anymore so that’s out for the foreseeable future. We feel really lucky/privileged to have gotten to Iceland. It was a fantastic trip.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.
_________________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #45
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Were there also mandatory masks at Thor's house?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #46
PaperBagger'14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
^^ Were there also mandatory masks at Thor's house?
Must be made of leather
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #47
darockwilder
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My wife knows someone who the second she got the email from WestJet booked a flight to Maui. By the end of the day she had second thoughts and cancelled it. She'd had a trip there booked in the Spring but it got cancelled. Cancel culture something something.