Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #201
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
In front of all her friends and colleagues? I guess that's one way to do it.

Chayka doesn't look great here but the organization sure is taking the low road in dealing with it.
I don't think this entire ordeal has looked great on either party but stuff like this can happen with breakups.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #202
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Thanks. I'll continue posting - am I being rude to anyone or just providing a general unpopular view point to most users on CP?
I haven't ever noticed you being rude.

You are a fan of another team - something you have never hidden - you post honestly and directly, and you take what is coming to you afterwards.

I welcome all such fans of other teams.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #203
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
In front of all her friends and colleagues? I guess that's one way to do it.

Chayka doesn't look great here but the organization sure is taking the low road in dealing with it.
The only lower road I easily recall by a team is how the Cavs owner dealt with LeBron after "the decision"

Agree both sides look bad
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #204
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
The only lower road I easily recall by a team is how the Cavs owner dealt with LeBron after "the decision"

Agree both sides look bad
Chayka isn't LeBron James. He's somewhat of a snakeoil salesman and from what I hear. Quite the ecomaniac and a snake.. as proven with this recent events and the prospect testing.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #205
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chayka isn't LeBron James. He's somewhat of a snakeoil salesman and from what I hear. Quite the ecomaniac and a snake.. as proven with this recent events and the prospect testing.
Coyotes should be happy he is gone and leave it at that.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:54 PM   #206
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ecomaniac
Surprised Seattle didn't poach him.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 09:46 AM   #207
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like the Coyotes were in the right, but they made themselves look worse with the release.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #208
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

An important clarification on the Chayka and analytics stuff is that while he, by definition, is absolutely an analytics guy, he is an analytics guy in the same sense that John Weisbrod is, by definition, an eye test guy: two men with no demonstrable track record, using mysterious criterion, making erratic decisions, and both of whom are armed with a thesaurus of buzz words which is often cause for concern.

That isn't to say with certainty Chayka's analytics are garbage, it's saying - like Weisbrod's magic eye test - some of the moves are completely contrary to publicly-known analytics which should raise heavy skepticism.

Chayka's former company - which still has heavy family involvement - tracks proprietary micro statistics. The reason we can't be confident in their impact or correlation on results-based outcomes is we don't know what they are, and they have undergone no public peer review. There is a chance they could be demonstrably brilliant and give the Coyotes a huge advantage, but there is an equal chance they are complete snake oil and are better served being thrown in the recycle bin. Or perhaps they are moderately useful but are being used inappropriately.

Unfortunately, throughout sports there are people and companies who are tremendously effective at advertising themselves and talking the talk - often via buzz words - which can harm a hiring organization. We've already seen it with Tyler Dellow fooling not one but now two organizations with his loudmouth style but fundamental lack of statistical understanding. Travis Yost whom TSN hired is another, though not nearly as dangerous as Dellow. This is only going to get worse as player tracking is implemented - boy are some organizations about to be sold complete junk.

All that is to say that nobody is wrong saying Chayka is an analytics GM, however grouping him in with all personnel and fans who are interested in analytics is exactly the same as claiming the eye test is garbage because of John Weisbrod or Pete Chiarelli.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #209
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that's the business/corporate world these days - the nerd who knows what they're doing often doesn't have the selling package, so the person with the gift of the gab gets the higher position because they do have that corporate speak with those higher. Chayka could very well be that guy, so can sell a statistics that doesn't pass the significance test, but in the name of getting something done can flip it and just do it with a justification. With sport statistics we're at the beginning phases so anything too advanced at this point is likely BS.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post: