Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Dude. WTF are you even talking about?
What part is confusing you?
Old 06-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #22
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

In what world do they leave his car there and not immediately put out additional units to find him?
Old 06-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #23
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
What part is confusing you?
The part where you think that any cop is just going to watch him run away and be like "oh well, guess he got away, lets go get a coffee".

Like, you are jumping to all of the most ridiculous conclusions here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #24
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you shoot someone for making you run, you'll get a lot of co-workers come to help you move the car.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #25
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Which video? Because the first one I saw was the one that starts while he's being handcuffed, and just shows the resisting arrest / assault part. The second one I saw shows what led up to it and his conversation with the officers. My initial reaction was more favourable to the police as a result (though I was nowhere near as certain as you seem to be that the shooting was excusable), but if you see the conversation beforehand and see the whole incident in its full context, it becomes pretty clear that the guy wasn't some violent maniac who needed to be shot.
Until he took the weapon from the police, assaulted the police, ran and turned and fired it at them.....

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 06-17-2020 at 12:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #26
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Dude. WTF are you even talking about?
Give the guy a break, he clearly forgot tow trucks exist

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #27
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Until he took the weapon from the police, assaulted the police, ran and turned and fired it at them.....
Again, which one of these are executable offences?

This is so baffling to me that anyone thinks shooting someone in anything other than self defence of life is acceptable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:19 PM   #28
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, which one of these are executable offences?

This is so baffling to me that anyone thinks shooting someone in anything other than self defence of life is acceptable.
You're aware that police have guns as well, not just tazers? If he's already demonstrated the ability to steal a weapon and use it on a cop in that same interaction, why is it suddenly such a leap to suggest it wouldn't happen again?
Old 06-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #29
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Even there, in my judgment, he's probably not going to hurt a member of the public with it. He's basically just trying to get away from the police. I mean you can see their conversation with him, he's coherent, can form rational thoughts. He just really, really doesn't want to be arrested, which is certainly grounds for an assault charge or two, but the question is whether it was a justified use of force to shoot him while he tries to escape.

It used to be acceptable to shoot fleeing suspects who don't stop running away when you yell "freeze", or "stop or I'll shoot", but it isn't anymore. On the whole, while recognizing some of the potential issues it might cause that I identified when this was first brought up, and subject to certain exceptions, I'm fine with that change in procedure.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #30
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You're aware that police have guns as well, not just tazers? If he's already demonstrated the ability to steal a weapon and use it on a cop in that same interaction, why is it suddenly such a leap to suggest it wouldn't happen again?
If we're going to start executing people based on a bunch of hypotheticals, we might not need to worry about the overpopulation of the earth.

Give your head a shake man. The guy was already running away.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #31
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. I'm not gonna continue this conversation. You are jumping to the most random conclusions.

Yeah, what if all of the White Karen's in the world became homicidal maniacs. That one almost did that one time, so we better execute them all right now before they come back later and finish the job....

lolwut?
Old 06-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #32
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Someone who gets pulled over for going 30 over the limit clearly has no disregard for the law. If they will put other motorists and pedestrians in danger like that, who's to say they wouldn't kill a cop?

If you let a guy like that go with just a ticket, who's to say they won't speed as soon as they are out of site, putting more lives in danger?

The only safe thing is to shot them in the face when you ask for their license and registration.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #33
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, what if all of the White Karen's in the world became homicidal maniacs. That one almost did that one time, so we better execute them all right now before they come back later and finish the job....
Hmm... actually this might be a good plan.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #34
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

ok some good points have been made and im prepared to alter my stance to:
-the drunk driver was an ####### and endangered peoples lives
-the cops should have chased after him and not shot
-but i understand why they did in the heat of the moment and dont think they should go to jail for murder
Old 06-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #35
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
-but i understand why they did in the heat of the moment and dont think they should go to jail for murder
I'd be shocked if anyone disagreed with you on the first two points.

As for the last one, it's a tough job that relies on people to make very quick decisions in the heat of the moment. This officer, in my opinion, proved he can't be counted on to make those decisions. This situation was likely created by the mere fact of him passing the recruitment process, or a failure in his training.

It's clear he should no longer be a police officer. But firing him or putting him in jail does nothing to solve the problem that led to this man losing his life unnecessarily.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #36
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

There were so many innocent bystanders, another big issue that isn't being raised here is, what if this cop missed while shooting this guy? What if they hit and killed an innocent bystander.

There is a reason why cops in most places are no longer allowed to go on high speed pursuits as it puts the general public in danger. This trigger happy ######bag not only killed a drunk dude who was running away, but put everyone in the area in danger by shooting his gun for no good reason.

If this dude ran away and they let him go and impound his car, literally no one gets killed or even has the chance of being seriously injured.

This cop pulling his gun put not only the suspect in danger, but everyone around them.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 06-17-2020 at 12:34 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #37
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

He fired his gun 3 times at a person running away in a crowded parking lot. He's lucky he only murdered 1 person.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #38
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

One of the shots even hit one the cars in the drive thru line up.

When I saw this I immediately thought of the COP in Toronto that arrested the man who was hitting pedestrians with the van. The guy tried to fake pull a gun to get the cop to shoot him, the cop noticed immediately it wasn’t a gun and made peaceful arrest.

In this situation the police would know straight away that the guy didn’t have a gun given the lead up. Perhaps the cop had thought the guy had stolen his gun and not the taser but it should click in that it wasn’t his gun when he pulled it out and shot the guy. These police were not in mortal harm and that guy did not deserve to be shot.

The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #39
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So people should be executed for something they "may" do?
Dude...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #40
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Boy if "it was the heat of the moment" becomes a justification for why someone shouldn't go to jail for murder - we are f'd.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread