Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #2761
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Yes, I meant for console. I am a software developer, I get away from my computer as much as possible. So when I game I tend to game with friends on a console.
Ah, I get you. I was considering a CX TV for potential freesync/gsync matching with the new consoles. But I'm also wondering about the 48 as a computer monitor too lol.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #2762
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I love everything Microsoft is doing with XCloud, Gamespass, and even the design of the new console, but for some reason they just can't put out a game that gets me hyped. I was hoping Halo Infinte was going to pull me in, but it didn't look very good to me at all. Looks like more Halo, which is fine but not a system seller for me.

Xbox can't seem to find an answer to games like God of War, LOUP2, Spider-Man, Ghosts of Tsushima, etc.
Yep that's how I feel too. Love the ecosystem they're setting up, but nothing pops. I'll probably do the same thing I did this gen and get a Series X mid to late gen when it's cheaper and there's more actual interesting games available.

Like I said earlier, the PS5 showcase had 5-6 games that made me really want to get the new console, and that was just it's first showing with many key developers not ready yet. Nothing here sold me a Series X.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #2763
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Ah, I get you. I was considering a CX TV for potential freesync/gsync matching with the new consoles. But I'm also wondering about the 48 as a computer monitor too lol.
I was thinking about this too, but I may wait for the new Vizio Gaming OLED. They are using the LG OLED Panels and are going to be tuned specifically for gaming.

Last edited by Since1984; 07-23-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #2764
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really enjoyed the show. Bookending it with Halo and Fable was pretty cool, and there were goodies in the middle that were intriguing as well. Everwild has some potential, and Destiny 2’s expansions all landing in Game Pass is pretty huge as well. Keep in mind that there are still studios under the Xbox 1st party umbrella that didn’t have a showing today (The Initiative for example, who are believed to be working on some sort of AAA title). I enjoyed the Sony show also, but all that truly caught my attention there was Horizon if I recall correctly, and for the love of lucifer, they opened their show with GTA 5...

At the end of the day, MS seems to be taking a more holistic approach to how they peddle their product in that they just want as many people within their ecosystem and on XB Live/Gamepass as possible. Want to do that on XB1? Series X? PC? Who cares. Judging this show through the prism of it being something that should have sold you specifically on the idea of getting a Series X is to miss the point, in my opinion. This was a “hey, here are some games we’re working on, and oh, you don’t have to buy any of them if you have Gamepass” kind of deal. Sony’s approach of having newer games not launch cross-generationally also has some pluses, and will obviously also encourage more sales of their new hardware.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:07 PM   #2765
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking forward to Fable. While I feel it never quite lived up to the expectations in previous iterations I don't think there are enough choice driven games as too many story driven games this generation felt like they were on rails and you are more a passenger.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #2766
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ok so this looks pretty fricken' sweet, Obsidian is making an open world first person Skyrim like RPG, based in the same world as its Pillars games. Short trailer in the link.

Quote:
Today Obsidian revealed its new, open-world RPG that definitely reminds me a bit of Skyrim. It's called Avowed, and during the Xbox Games Showcase, we got to see the first trailer. And, yeah, it looks like a darker take on the world of The Elder Scrolls—mostly due to the first-person perspective.
https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-is-ob...first-trailer/

I will definitely be watching for this one.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #2767
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always played Elder Scrolls in first person so I'm not clear on how the first person perspective makes this game darker.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #2768
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I've always played Elder Scrolls in first person so I'm not clear on how the first person perspective makes this game darker.
Elder Scrolls is also already pretty dark thematically. I mean it's all about apocalypse and warring kingdoms and racism and demons. It's not like Diablo dark I guess, but it's not exactly chipper either.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #2769
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Ok so this looks pretty fricken' sweet, Obsidian is making an open world first person Skyrim like RPG, based in the same world as its Pillars games. Short trailer in the link.

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-is-ob...first-trailer/

I will definitely be watching for this one.

I kind of forgot Microsoft bought Obsidian. That's one studio, that given time and the right budget, could make something that rivals Sony's first party. I can't wait to see more of this game.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #2770
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Ghost was great, really enjoyed it. A very well put together game I had some minor quibbles with but the most fun I’ve had since red dead 2.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #2771
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Ghost was great, really enjoyed it. A very well put together game I had some minor quibbles with but the most fun I’ve had since red dead 2.
Yeah I'm enjoying it. It's not 100% polished and has some of the strangest graphics I've seen in a game. The colors are stunning in HDR and at times it's looks beautiful but some of the textures look two generations old.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #2772
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree. Having a great time with the game but the visuals are certainly a strange mixed bag. Absolutely stunning use of colour and light, but some muddiness and poor textures at the same time.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #2773
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ghosts of Tsushima is really awesome. I'm about 5 hours into it but good lord, do I ever suck at combat. I die so often and can barely win a standoff cleanly haha.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #2774
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Ghosts of Tsushima is really awesome. I'm about 5 hours into it but good lord, do I ever suck at combat. I die so often and can barely win a standoff cleanly haha.
This is the first 3rd person game I can remember in some time that doesn't have a lock on feature when in combat. At times you end up fighting at awkward angles and can't see who's behind you. Smoke bombs combined with chain assassination is fantastic for when you are surrounded as you drop the bomb and can assassinate two enemies reducing their numbers by two just like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #2775
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Watch their feet instead of their body, it will help you quite a bit. For combat hold block instead of trying to parry all the time if you’re having a hard time timing that or work on sidestep dodges followed by counterattack. Prioritize eliminating archers first. Don’t forget to use your ghost weapons they can get battles back under control. That should get you fixed right up quickly.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #2776
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha yeah I was like that too at first, just takes practice and getting that muscle memory. You'll get there, I like how this game has more challenging combat.. at least at first, until you max out your blade and get all the stances.

Agreed about other posts about the textures too. I noticed that right away back in the gameplay trailer, and played older PS4 games (GTA V, AC Syndicate) leading to release just so the visual drop wouldn't be so jarring. That said, all the vivid colours and foliage make up for it, it actually looks better than I expected, given the super low visual expectations I went into it with.

I'm a side mission / exploration warrior so still in late Act 1, I'm still absolutely loving this game.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #2777
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's my game of the year so far for sure. I wasn't expecting some of the side quests to tug on the old heart strings a bit.

I'll be getting the platinum in this one.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #2778
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

This is going to be amazing for anyone with a MAME cabinet build

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #2779
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fall Guys is so fun. Free PS+ game this month.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #2780
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I preordered the new flight simulator. Had the original as a kid. Don't have any flight sim gear but it's going to be cool exploring I think
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote