Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-31-2020, 10:04 AM   #1021
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

^The store on the news was Market Mall, but I think Chinook will have one too (they already have a Shaw store but part of that will handle Shaw Mobile)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #1022
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was with Freedom Mobile a few years ago and their coverage was so bad it was actually shocking. Downtown in between buildings the signal would cut out. Hopefully it's better since then. At that time they didn't officially have iphones on their network so that have been at least part of the issue with the reception
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:24 AM   #1023
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I started with Freedom after they officially got iPhones and it wasn't too bad, though my house actually seemed to be on the edge of an area and I'd lose cell coverage pretty often (though I didn't care, I rarely use it for calls and used Wifi at home). And lots of spots around town where things were iffy.

But it got better over time and now I rarely have any issues in and around the city. Which works fine for me. I have a really cheap plan so it wouldn't be worth it to change, even with these Shaw Mobile promotional prices.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:47 AM   #1024
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I was with Freedom Mobile a few years ago and their coverage was so bad it was actually shocking. Downtown in between buildings the signal would cut out. Hopefully it's better since then. At that time they didn't officially have iphones on their network so that have been at least part of the issue with the reception
They didn't have B13 lowband (lowband better for concrete penetration and what the Robellus runs before) at the time so it would have been bad DT. That pretty much should have been fixed after the iPhone launch.

Last edited by FlameOn; 07-31-2020 at 02:43 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:34 PM   #1025
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Hopefully when my renewal comes up next year they will have lost enoguh customers that they switch back to retentions.
Quote:
I would recommend this to anyone tied to a 2 year contract that ends slightly before black Friday - consider going month to month for a couple months if you can and then sign another agreement on the week of black Friday, when I signed up Shaw said that's when they have their best (only) deals
Coincidentally my fairly decent Shaw plan ends in November. I actually like Shaw's service, but I have been a little worried seeing/hearing that the "I'm leaving" song and dance might not work again. At least my term is up at the right time, and I don't really have the patience to screw around anymore. I'll just cancel and shop around every 2 years if I need to.

That's what I said 2 years ago though, and they actually came through. So we shall see.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:58 PM   #1026
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new client pricing just isn't what it was 3 months ago. Shaw, for the past 8 years or so, has been super aggressive on new client pricing, which caused TELUS retention to spend a lot, and then Shaw developed their own retention. Shaw has cut back on their new client discounts quite heavily, as well as their retention budget. I believe what we're seeing is the major telcos in western AB trying to 'correct' the market. Out east if you call Bell or Rogers to cancel they don't give a ####, they let you go. I think that's what is being attempted here.. price wise.

Will it last? Who knows. Shaw and TELUS are both slaves to their investors, so, a bad quarter and slumping sales and if one of them decides to go nuts on price again, we can be in the same squeeky wheel gets the grease climate
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #1027
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

To clarify, you have to be on the fibre internet to get their crazy good Mobile deal? I just re-upped with Shaw with internet 300, and my cell is with freedom. I'm ok but would consider moving my mother-in-law's phone under my account - she just needs talk, no data and even text, so that talk and text for 0 - even if they raise it a bit in the future - would be perfect for her.

And more so score me so many important brownie points...
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #1028
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw doesn't have fibre internet.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #1029
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, ha, I thought I saw that. My bad then.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #1030
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Oh, ha, I thought I saw that. My bad then.
They call it fibre plus. It's marketing. Parts of their network are fibre but they always use coaxial into your home.

It's designed to fool people.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #1031
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember when they used to sell people on how cable was faster than DSL because the cable was thicker?

The fact that they're calling it Fibre+ but still using coax is goddamn hilarious.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #1032
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Remember when they used to sell people on how cable was faster than DSL because the cable was thicker?

The fact that they're calling it Fibre+ but still using coax is goddamn hilarious.
Ya I hope Telus wins that lawsuit, it's blatant false advertising
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #1033
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

But but... it's fibre plus coax!

I want Telus to win, but what I really want is for Telus to call me back already so I can get the goddamn fibre run to the house from our neighbourhood box... the same box that happens to be literally behind my fence, so it'll be the shortest run they'll have to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 07:23 PM   #1034
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those mobile plan prices are very competitive, I would be absolutely shocked if they lasted though. Maybe 6 months before they raise prices substantially?
If it's just talk and text, Freedom (same network, Shaw owned) has a $100 prepaid 1 year unlimited talk and text.

So, this $0 Shaw deal works out to about an $8.75 savings per month as opposed to getting that. If you have to pay more to get to that level of Internet to get it for free (and don't need the upgraded Internet), it's more economical to just get the Freedom plan.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #1035
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But but... it's fibre plus coax!

I want Telus to win, but what I really want is for Telus to call me back already so I can get the goddamn fibre run to the house from our neighbourhood box... the same box that happens to be literally behind my fence, so it'll be the shortest run they'll have to do.
Do your neighbours already have fibre running from it? If so, cite their addresses in your call? Or are you the first?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #1036
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Do your neighbours already have fibre running from it? If so, cite their addresses in your call? Or are you the first?
No idea. Telus dropped a bunch of flyers proclaiming "Good news everyone, Telus internet in your neighbourhood isn't stuck in the bronze age and you can finally have higher than a 50meg asymmetrical connection with us! Go to our website, fill out this form, and we'll call you back in a few days!"

Form has been filled out thrice and no phone call has come through since April. Our address should also show as a previous service address that was cancelled, so they should be more than motivated to poach us back from Shaw.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #1037
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you are imagining Telus is a much more sophisticated operation than it is. Nobody, particularity the sales guys, have any clue about the situation on the ground.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:10 PM   #1038
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think you are imagining Telus is a much more sophisticated operation than it is. Nobody, particularity the sales guys, have any clue about the situation on the ground.
There's no imagining, the box is literally outside my fence and I watched them work on the fibre install.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #1039
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No idea. Telus dropped a bunch of flyers proclaiming "Good news everyone, Telus internet in your neighbourhood isn't stuck in the bronze age and you can finally have higher than a 50meg asymmetrical connection with us! Go to our website, fill out this form, and we'll call you back in a few days!"

Form has been filled out thrice and no phone call has come through since April. Our address should also show as a previous service address that was cancelled, so they should be more than motivated to poach us back from Shaw.
Ha, they’ve done that to me.

Marketing and Network Development, often aren’t aligned.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:20 PM   #1040
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They often aren't even in the same universe.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote