Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #381
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I guess I saw a different game than some of you.

The Flames weren't sharp, they took too many penalties, but five on five they were fine. It was the powerplay that let them down in a one goal loss.

The fourth line was terrible.

But the top line had a way better five on five game than they had in the first game. I thought Gaudreau especially (more than Monahan) showed some jam in this game.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #382
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Well, to be fair, points 1 and 3 are the same. The core that can't win has been put together thanks to previous regimes. The current gm hasn't done much of anything to improve the core. I actually haven't said anything negative about the coach (just brought up that the gm has had 3 coaches so far).

Flames d being overrated isn't really a hot take, outside of Brodie/andersson and at times gio, the rest kind of suck.

Tkachuk being invisible in the series is an obvious observation 2 games in.

I am over emotional, you got me there. As a lifelong flames fan, I have a hard time getting behind this current iteration of the team and giving any kind of benefit of the doubt anymore. The flames fan in me is excited to watch my team play playoff hockey, but I find myself disliking the flames more than the opposition for a while now.
Maybe you’re not a fan anymore?

I get it. I find games like this frustrating but it’s pretty much par for the course regardless of which team you cheer for (especially when you have a mid-pack or worse team). There’s going to be bad. But I always like the good a hell of a lot more than the bad.

I guess I just don’t understand some “fans.” It was a close loss where both teams played poorly, but there’s still a lot to like. I don’t know how a fan (not you, specifically) can sit through two games and not like what Lindholm, Bennett, and Dube have brought. Or our performance in game one. Every loss is “burn it to the ground” or “I hate this team.”

People should start asking themselves if they’re fans out of habit or if they’re actually fans of this team. No shame either way, but I can’t wrap my head around watching your favourite team and not enjoying yourself, or at least dealing with a loss with the mindset of “that sucked, on to the next one.”
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #383
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I like the guys that continually defend Sam Bennett calling the penalty weak. Ehlers JUST got called for the same #### yet its somehow not Sam Bennetts fault?

Almost every game Bennett takes a stupid, selfish, absolutely no reason penalty at an important point of the game. He does not learn from them. Ever. Its pretty obvious he never will.

Its a broken record. Over and over again.

The IQ just isn't there. How anyone can deny that is beyond me.
I agree with a lot of this. The constant pom pom waving fans of Sam Bennett can be exhausting. I’m still scarred from the Glen Gulutzan days where many thought that particular coach was keeping him back from transforming into some elite #1 centerman.

But what I will say is that I have to give Bennett huge props for coming in to this series completely all in. He’s sacrificed body and mind which I can appreciate. But his ultra competitive dog-on-a-bone style can lead to a lot of dumb penalties. Actually, I can’t remember a time I said “that was a good penalty” by Sam Bennett.

But if he can learn after today and avoid taking anymore selfish penalties and continue playing well, then he’d probably be one of the least players to complain about for me. There’s definitely more guys I’d put in the dog house than Bennett right now.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:18 PM   #384
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Johnny Monny combo doesn't working well in the playoffs. They are OK during the season, but when playoff starts they are become non impact duo. I think Johnny and Lindholm needs a big centre that can make space for them, and who can win battles for the puck. Doesn't need to be a star C, but hard working, puck protecting player. I hoped Bennett or Jankowski become this kind of player. Monny needs Hall type winger with another D minded faster winger. Otherwise this team won't go far.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #385
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Maybe you’re not a fan anymore?

I get it. I find games like this frustrating but it’s pretty much par for the course regardless of which team you cheer for (especially when you have a mid-pack or worse team). There’s going to be bad. But I always like the good a hell of a lot more than the bad.

I guess I just don’t understand some “fans.” It was a close loss where both teams played poorly, but there’s still a lot to like. I don’t know how a fan (not you, specifically) can sit through two games and not like what Lindholm, Bennett, and Dube have brought. Or our performance in game one. Every loss is “burn it to the ground” or “I hate this team.”

People should start asking themselves if they’re fans out of habit or if they’re actually fans of this team. No shame either way, but I can’t wrap my head around watching your favourite team and not enjoying yourself, or at least dealing with a loss with the mindset of “that sucked, on to the next one.”

Nope. I'm a fan, maybe Ur a homer/koolaid drinking fan who doesn't see anything but roses (I don't actually believe you are any of that, but how did that feel? That's how the insinuation that I'm not a fan felt to me).

I've definitely come to a point where I am not expecting monahan and gaudreau to lift their play come crunch time. Now that I've come to this point, I just don't really have the patience to go into every year expecting the same group to magically be something they aren't.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 06:21 PM   #386
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm normally harsh on Sam but that penalty was ridiculous and I don't fault him at all...battles like that happen on faceoffs all the time.

You would be hard pressed to find a call like that against a team down by one late in a playoff game.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:21 PM   #387
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

The Flames weren't sharp, they took too many penalties, but five on five they were fine. It was the powerplay that let them down in a one goal loss.

But the top line had a way better five on five game than they had in the first game. I thought Gaudreau especially (more than Monahan) showed some jam in this game.
This is accurate, but uninspiring considering the Flames are playing against a mediocre team that was missing their top two centers and one of their top line wingers.

..and they still lost.

I don't want to be such a downer all the time, but the team brings it out of me I guess. This is not where I thought we'd be now if you'd asked me 5 years ago. A mediocre team battling it out with another mediocre team just for a chance to get into the playoffs and get the crap kicked out of us again.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #388
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

not surprised. Calgary is a flawed team... there has been questions about their GAS level for a number of years...

sadly, its best players seem to disappear in the playoffs...I was hoping that after last year's loss to the Avs, that the team's 'stars' would pick things up.

It's not over, but certainly feels like 'more of the same' right now... Meet the "new" Flames, same as the old Flames...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #389
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I'm normally harsh on Sam but that penalty was ridiculous and I don't fault him at all...battles like that happen on faceoffs all the time.

You would be hard pressed to find a call like that against a team down by one late in a playoff game.

Also on the face off immediately after the team just got scored against on the PP to go down one.

Stripes put on a real show today, starting with the 5 on 3, with multiple ridiculous decisions thereafter
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #390
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not great, but cannot say the Jets were better, got one extra lucky bounce and then had the refs dictate the momentum, especially in the last half of the third of the game with two terrible and one marginal call.

Has Maurice said anything about the flying elbow from Elhers and the sticking of the knee out on Johnny? Didn't think so.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #391
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well, to be fair, points 1 and 3 are the same. The core that can't win has been put together thanks to previous regimes. The current gm hasn't done much of anything to improve the core. I actually haven't said anything negative about the coach (just brought up that the gm has had 3 coaches so far).

Flames d being overrated isn't really a hot take, outside of Brodie/andersson and at times gio, the rest kind of suck.

Tkachuk being invisible in the series is an obvious observation 2 games in.

I am over emotional, you got me there. As a lifelong flames fan, I have a hard time getting behind this current iteration of the team and giving any kind of benefit of the doubt anymore. The flames fan in me is excited to watch my team play playoff hockey, but I find myself disliking the flames more than the opposition for a while now.
You don’t think Treliving deserves any credit to adding Tkachuk, Lindholm, Hanifin? What about extending the inherited pieces Monahan, Gaudreau, Giordano, Brodie, Backlund? What about the much improved, I would argue, drafting and development?

Not saying he isn’t deserving of some criticism, after all, which GM isn’t? He’s just like every other GM. When he took the job he inherited some good pieces and some bad ones. All things considered, I would say he’s a pretty good GM. Arguably the best we’ve had since Fletcher. Why are we so eager to run him out of town?
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #392
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope. I'm a fan, maybe Ur a homer/koolaid drinking fan who doesn't see anything but roses (I don't actually believe you are any of that, but how did that feel? That's how the insinuation that I'm not a fan felt to me).

I've definitely come to a point where I am not expecting monahan and gaudreau to lift their play come crunch time. Now that I've come to this point, I just don't really have the patience to go into every year expecting the same group to magically be something they aren't.
Everybody “fans” their own way. I don’t blame you for being a little bent out of shape after being subject to judgment on how you feel after a loss.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #393
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
You don’t think Treliving deserves any credit to adding Tkachuk, Lindholm, Hanifin? What about extending the inherited pieces Monahan, Gaudreau, Giordano, Brodie, Backlund? What about the much improved, I would argue, drafting and development?

Not saying he isn’t deserving of some criticism, after all, which GM isn’t? He’s just like every other GM. When he took the job he inherited some good pieces and some bad ones. All things considered, I would say he’s a pretty good GM. Arguably the best we’ve had since Fletcher. Why are we so eager to run him out of town?
I am going to accept the criticism of taking my reaction to topics more relevant to the offseason. In a word, treliving gets a average grade in my books on almost all accounts. Will leave my arguments for that grade to the eventual offseason threads.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #394
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Agreed. I actually didn’t mind Gaudreau’s game at all today. Monahan on the other hand, needs to do more tomorrow.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:33 PM   #395
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I'm with you on this. Calgary is in a good position to win this series. I get why folks are a little ticked off with the team but jeez, let's see how it plays out. I like their chances.
Never at any point, outside of the 5 on 3 were the Jets in any sort of control today.
The refs killed 4 minutes of the last 12 with very dubious penalties on Bennett and Eat bread, while of course missing the water skiing on Eat bread seconds before that.

Though, there are a fair share of posters after a quick glance of this thread, that weren't around or were very quiet after the win two days ago, just waiting for the Flames to lose a single game so they can once again jump right into their diatribes.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 06:34 PM   #396
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
never at any point, outside of the 5 on 3 were the jets in any sort of control today.
The refs killed 4 minutes of the last 12 with very dubious penalties on bennett and eat bread, while of course missing the water skiing on eat bread seconds before that.

though, there are a fair share of posters after a quick glance of this thread, that weren't around or were very quiet after the win two days ago, just waiting for the flames to lose a single game so they can once again jump right into their diatribes.
this
Old 08-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #397
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
I think Johnny Monny combo doesn't working well in the playoffs. They are OK during the season, but when playoff starts they are become non impact duo. I think Johnny and Lindholm needs a big centre that can make space for them, and who can win battles for the puck. Doesn't need to be a star C, but hard working, puck protecting player. I hoped Bennett or Jankowski become this kind of player. Monny needs Hall type winger with another D minded faster winger. Otherwise this team won't go far.
I’ve been at this thinking for a long long time; but these types of centers are too difficult to find. If anything, Lindholm has shown me more as a true #1 center. His ability to be hard on pucks, hard to play against to go along with his goal scoring prowess is enough for me to keep him there until the Flames can draft one of these studs.

The Flames could use another power forward though who can dominate in the playoffs. I remember the Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk line looking very very good against Winnipeg earlier this season.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:40 PM   #398
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really struggle to understand how Monahan is still wearing an A on his jersey. He's all talk in interviews, he's like a broken record " We remember how much it sucks to lose etc etc", yet every time come playoffs, he's invisible. Tkachuk on the other hand, he came to play game 1. He backed up his words, with action. Though now, he needs to back it up on the scoresheet. Every year come playoffs, it's always the same narrative, oh Monahan's probably injured, but what's his excuse now? If Mohanan's still our #1 center for the next couple of years, this team's not going to take that next step that it needs to.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camm13 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #399
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
And the troll wins
The Jets.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #400
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Not great, but cannot say the Jets were better, got one extra lucky bounce and then had the refs dictate the momentum, especially in the last half of the third of the game with two terrible and one marginal call.

Has Maurice said anything about the flying elbow from Elhers and the sticking of the knee out on Johnny? Didn't think so.
No the twit is kicking back and admiring his own work after the last game.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote