Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #581
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
As long as your out of the city before 8 usually you can avoid the crowds and traffic on the way in

Hopefully this results in more investment into trail maintenance and development. As much as I don’t like busy trails people getting out on them is good.

Personally I blame the free park passes for Canada 150 for the dramatic increase in use.

Yeah, it has become too busy and the crowds are pushing less experienced hikers to places where they probably shouldn’t be going.

I thought the back side of Yamnuska had some pretty steep screw slopes?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #582
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah, it has become too busy and the crowds are pushing less experienced hikers to places where they probably shouldn’t be going.

I thought the back side of Yamnuska had some pretty steep screw slopes?
Yamnuska is a reasonable beginner scramble.

Yes there are steep screw sections and the one chains section that is a little sketchy but outside of that one section there is no fall and die. The steep scree can be done at low speed going down and not as a Scree run. So the level of risk in that section is one of choice. If you go look at YouTube videos you see guys not wearing helmets running slipping and rolling. That creates risk

I don’t think it’s inexperienced people being pushed to places they shouldn’t be, it’s inexperienced people being unable to access risk. One of the issues is that with the internet there is no gate keeping where you learn from others who have done it before. Or at least a guidebook like Kane’s which the first chapter is titled How Not to Die While Scrambling.

I’m not commenting on this particular case but just in general I would say the risk people take now while hiking versus level of experience is higher than it used to be.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:38 AM   #583
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

So I am taking my family on a hike tomorrow. I’ve got two small kids. Anybody willing to weigh in on what would be a better option for tomorrow morning. I’ve been spying Black Shale Cirque and Elbow Lake loop. I want to do the ELL but I know it’s going to be cranking busy. Should I expect the same kind of madness if we went to BSC?

Any info would be helpful

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:50 AM   #584
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

We drove Highway 40 at the weekend, and every single parking lot was overflowing with cars parked all down the highway. Elbow Lake was especially so.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:58 AM   #585
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
So I am taking my family on a hike tomorrow. I’ve got two small kids. Anybody willing to weigh in on what would be a better option for tomorrow morning. I’ve been spying Black Shale Cirque and Elbow Lake loop. I want to do the ELL but I know it’s going to be cranking busy. Should I expect the same kind of madness if we went to BSC?

Do you mean Black Prince Cirque? Where the Blackshale suspension bridge is? I suspect Black Prince might be more crowded this weekend because the Spray Lake road from Canmore is supposed to be closed so everyone will be driving around to the other end of the road and that's where Black Prince is.

Elbow is more interesting for sure. Could the kids walk a bit further to Edworthy Falls? You can see the falls and then find a lunch spot in the meadows away from people.

A lessser known hike that's pretty easy is Cat Creek Falls. I think it's about 3.5 km's to a nice water fall.

You might want to consider Pocaterra Ridge but just up to where the little tarn would normally be on top of the water falls. This year a massive avalanche obliterated everything and there is still a a massive snow field right on top of the trail. It's about a half hour walk from Highwood pass parking lot and really neat to see something like that. You can go up a bit further to the pretty meadows below the ridge too.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 11:03 AM   #586
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We went to Elbow Lake on Monday and it was not busy at all. The parking lot was overflowing but we ran into very few people. I would think the biggest issue with small kids is that getting up to Elbow Lake is pretty tough. Maybe your kids complain less than mine in which case I am envious.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #587
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Do you mean Black Prince Cirque? Where the Blackshale suspension bridge is? I suspect Black Prince might be more crowded this weekend because the Spray Lake road from Canmore is supposed to be closed so everyone will be driving around to the other end of the road and that's where Black Prince is.

Elbow is more interesting for sure. Could the kids walk a bit further to Edworthy Falls? You can see the falls and then find a lunch spot in the meadows away from people.

A lessser known hike that's pretty easy is Cat Creek Falls. I think it's about 3.5 km's to a nice water fall.

You might want to consider Pocaterra Ridge but just up to where the little tarn would normally be on top of the water falls. This year a massive avalanche obliterated everything and there is still a a massive snow field right on top of the trail. It's about a half hour walk from Highwood pass parking lot and really neat to see something like that. You can go up a bit further to the pretty meadows below the ridge too.

Yes I am thinkIng the Black Prince Cirque. It was sent to me yesterday by a buddy and I had never heard of it. I’m still a novice but I want to make sure my kids know what’s in our back yard. We did the Ptarmigan Cirque last summer and my oldest handled it fine, my youngest is still in a backpack carrier. Thanks for the recommendations. I will check them out.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #588
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

CAt Creek falls is great and has a nice deep pool you can jump into to cool yourself off
MacDaddy77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:25 AM   #589
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I am thinkIng the Black Prince Cirque. It was sent to me yesterday by a buddy and I had never heard of it. I’m still a novice but I want to make sure my kids know what’s in our back yard. We did the Ptarmigan Cirque last summer and my oldest handled it fine, my youngest is still in a backpack carrier. Thanks for the recommendations. I will check them out.
Between those two, I would think Black Prince would be a better bet than Elbow Lake if you want to dodge crowds. Less well known and farther out. I can't imagine how busy Elbow Lake is going to be this weekend.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 11:26 AM   #590
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
We went to Elbow Lake on Monday and it was not busy at all. The parking lot was overflowing but we ran into very few people. I would think the biggest issue with small kids is that getting up to Elbow Lake is pretty tough. Maybe your kids complain less than mine in which case I am envious.
We’ve instituted a myth that certain trails have treat fairies that roam. Every time my oldest starts to whine magically a couple meters up ahead a skittle can be found on the trail.

I’m not to worried about the first km up, we will grind it out, I’d be more concerned if it was a couple of hours before it flattens out.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:28 AM   #591
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next weekend, we're planning on doing Crypt Lake. This has been a long time coming and I'm really looking forward to it! I think we planned this in January or February and thankfully didn't cancel when things got crazy.

Just wondering if people here have any particular tips or advice for this or Waterton in general? I haven't been there in years and like I say, Crypt Lake has been one I've wanted to check off for a really long time!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 11:28 AM   #592
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Between those two, I would think Black Prince would be a better bet than Elbow Lake if you want to dodge crowds. Less well known and farther out. I can't imagine how busy Elbow Lake is going to be this weekend.
That’s my biggest worry, especially with the campground there, coupled with long weekend and nice weather. I expect it to be absolute madness. Other suggestions are welcome for sure as perhaps we can put this one on hold until a midweek day sometime in August.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:44 AM   #593
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

It's going to be nuts this weekend, actually it's nuts every weekend, but I would personally avoid the 40, smith dorrien or TransCanada.

I'd consider:
1. Ann and Sandy Cross Conservatory south of calgary. nice views, lower crowds.

2. From Little Elbow Campground head out on either Big Elbow or Little Elbow for an out-and-back, just go as far as you want. it's an old fireroad, so lots of social distancing and good views with limited elevation.

Finally, we just explore here in calgary on weekends. Fish creek and NoseHill are both favourites, and really great if you start early. Glenbow Ranche also very nice.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 11:46 AM   #594
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for recommendations for day-hike trails near Canmore. Something easy with good views for a child, and medium for adults with no child.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #595
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arethusa Cirque sounds kind of perfect for you. It's just south of Highwood Pass and really easy. 20 mins to the first little meadow. Then another 30 minutes to the cirques above. You can climb as high as you want up Arethusa too. It will have about 10-15 cars at any given time. But most people are climbing Arethusa.

Also check the FB Hike Alberta page to see what hikes are around certain areas.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #596
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Next weekend, we're planning on doing Crypt Lake. This has been a long time coming and I'm really looking forward to it! I think we planned this in January or February and thankfully didn't cancel when things got crazy.

Just wondering if people here have any particular tips or advice for this or Waterton in general? I haven't been there in years and like I say, Crypt Lake has been one I've wanted to check off for a really long time!
I'm doing Crypt this weekend Slava. I've always pushed it off due to my fear of heights, but now is the time. Waterton right now is running at capacity almost all weekends. You are best to show up earlier than expected. Park and do not move. Walking down main street has actually been very nice. Red Rock has been congested all year, so unless its a necessity after the fact, I wouldn't suggest it.

Also, best place to eat will be outside the park in Twin Butte at the general store. Easily the best Mexican food around. Don't forget your masks as you need them for the cruise over to Crypt.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 07:44 PM   #597
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

Crypt Lake is really nice. Bear’s Hump is a quick hike, but has some great views of the townsite. Watch out for aggressive deer.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #598
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

After years of putting it off I have to say that Crypt is well worth the hike and it's spot on National Geographic's list. Just a beautiful hike through and through. I got lucky and onto the first cruise which left 15 minutes early. Got soaked on the trail going up thanks to the previous nights rain but never felt as though there was anyone around. The chains really were useless and you are just fine hanging onto the rock. Take your time at the lake and find a great spot to relax, swim and possibly enter the USA illegally.

Be bear aware on the way down too. I finally met my first Grizzly on this hike. I would like to not do that again. Finally before you start your hike make sure to stash some beers in the water for when you are done. It was the best reward
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #599
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

We did the Black Prince Cirque with my kids a buddy on Saturday. The parking lot was full but it didn’t feel crazy on the trail. My 4yr old didn’t start to get cranky until the way down. With about .9km left he was pretty tired and in full air raid siren whining mode

Old 08-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #600
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody done Prairie Mtn and come back down along Prairie Creek? Wonder how well Prairie Creek path is marked?

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness