Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #1881
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player
 
OutOfTheCube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

I'd be happier to see Gamecube games, personally. Similar to NES, most N64 games have aged terribly, and the ones that haven't we've seen multiple ports of or better iterations (Mario 64, Zelda games, Smash). Plus a big part of the "actually good" games are Rare IP owned by Microsoft now, so they'd have to work something out there.

Gamecube on the other hand, a lot of those games we've never seen ported, or enhanced, or even available at all past the initial release. Super Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario: TTYD, F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin 1 and 2, Smash Bros. Melee, Star Fox Adventures... I'd love to give some of these a crack again but I'm not going to dig out my Gamecube and hook up a CRT TV somewhere in my house to do it.
__________________
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #1882
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I'd be happier to see Gamecube games, personally. Similar to NES, most N64 games have aged terribly, and the ones that haven't we've seen multiple ports of or better iterations (Mario 64, Zelda games, Smash). Plus a big part of the "actually good" games are Rare IP owned by Microsoft now, so they'd have to work something out there.

Gamecube on the other hand, a lot of those games we've never seen ported, or enhanced, or even available at all past the initial release. Super Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario: TTYD, F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin 1 and 2, Smash Bros. Melee, Star Fox Adventures... I'd love to give some of these a crack again but I'm not going to dig out my Gamecube and hook up a CRT TV somewhere in my house to do it.
If you have a PC with decent specs, check out Dolphin. It's got almost flawless compatibility with the entire Gamecube and Wii catalog. I just finished playing through Tony Hawk 3 on it and it was a blast. When you factor in upscaling to 1080p or even 4K resolution with anti-aliasing, it's even better than playing on actual hardware. And with the ability to map the Wiimote motion controls to a standard Xbox controller, it makes playing games like Mario Galaxy way more comfortable

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 09-07-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #1883
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

I’m alternating through link to the past and Mario. Those two games have aged quite well. As a platformer Mario game I think Mario world is my all time favourite. I think it was the first game I 100% completed.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #1884
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Forgive me in advance for coming in blind, but I'm thinking of getting a Switch, and I've heard a little bit about playing old games, some good new games, etc., but I haven't dug in deeply and figured a lot of you who actually own the system would be more trustworthy than the general internet. I have a few questions:

1. What "classic Nintendo" titles are available/actually worth playing (old and new Zeldas, Marios, etc,)
2. What game(s) would be a must-have to get right off the bat?
3. I'd connect to the TV sometimes, but I'm mostly interested in the portable feature. Is it pretty solid, or is it better to play on TV?
4. What's your favourite pick-up-and-play/party game?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #1885
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster
 
Mazrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Gary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
1. What "classic Nintendo" titles are available/actually worth playing (old and new Zeldas, Marios, etc,)
2. What game(s) would be a must-have to get right off the bat?
3. I'd connect to the TV sometimes, but I'm mostly interested in the portable feature. Is it pretty solid, or is it better to play on TV?
4. What's your favourite pick-up-and-play/party game?
1. For classic games, if you buy a Nintendo Switch Online Subscription ($25/year) you can play a lot of great NES and SNES games on the Switch. There's tons to choose from, but my personal favorites are Mario Bros. 3, Kirby's Adventure, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island and A Link to the Past.
2. I think both Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are worth buying day one for anyone who gets a Switch, and Smash Ultimate or Mario Kart 8 are good multiplayer choices. There's lots of others I love but they're more subjective to each person.
3. The portable mode is really good, and many people play solely in that mode.
4. The Jackbox Party Pack (1 through 5) are all really good. 2 is my favorite.

Last edited by Mazrim; 09-09-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #1886
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player
 
OutOfTheCube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
1. What "classic Nintendo" titles are available/actually worth playing (old and new Zeldas, Marios, etc,)
2. What game(s) would be a must-have to get right off the bat?
3. I'd connect to the TV sometimes, but I'm mostly interested in the portable feature. Is it pretty solid, or is it better to play on TV?
4. What's your favourite pick-up-and-play/party game?
1. The actual "classic" selection is limited to NES and SNES games for now (SNES were just added last week), and put behind the Nintendo Switch Online paywall as a bonus for subscribers. It is significantly cheaper than the other console online services (only $25/year) and gets you online play for Switch games and access to those libraries. That includes the classic Mario and Zelda game (Mario 1-World, Zelda 1 and Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island, etc.) plus a bunch of other retro games you might want to check out.

2. There's three games I'd really consider essential purchases:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Those three are really the pinnacle of quality in their respective series/genres. Add in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, especially if you missed it on Wii U.

3. Portable is excellent, I have 2 little kids so use the portable feature a lot, even when I'm home. Games look great on the screen and are generally comparable graphics-wise to playing on the TV. It's very quick and snappy and doesn't lose any features -- system can be a little awkward with the small controllers and large screen but I recently picked up a grip case that helps with that. Battery life can be an issue (sometimes under 2 hours, depending on the game and if you're connected online) but I've heard they improved that significantly (4-5 hours) with the latest model. I would say I'm playing portable upwards of 80% of the time and have no issues with it.

4. My favorite would be Mario Kart 8 Deluxe -- everyone can understand it, and it has accessibility options for all levels of game experience. Can't go wrong with Super Mario Party either, but I find it's not as good of a game in general so you won't be touching it outside of multiplayer, whereas Mario Kart 8 has a lot of content you might want to check out separately.
__________________
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #1887
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

NES Online is pretty much only your favourite NES and SNES titles. Ubisoft and Capcom (in particular) have been busily porting their back catalogs over too. Notably, there are a number of Mega Man collections you can buy.

As far as must play games goes, what's your preferred genres?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #1888
Rhettzky
Franchise Player
 
Rhettzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Section 222
Exp:
Default

I highly recommend breath of the wild.

Currently on my 2nd play-through and trying to do all the side quests and DLC. I ignored the DLC the first time but it is really fun. Happy I decided to pick it up.
__________________
Go Flames Go!!
Rhettzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #1889
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
NES Online is pretty much only your favourite NES and SNES titles. Ubisoft and Capcom (in particular) have been busily porting their back catalogs over too. Notably, there are a number of Mega Man collections you can buy.

As far as must play games goes, what's your preferred genres?
I’m pretty open. I just want something fun that could kill an hour or an afternoon. Chances are I won’t play a ton and won’t buy many games, so Zelda, Mario, and the online subscription all sound good so far, but honestly anything outright “fun.”

I will also likely never ever play online. So nothing where that is a main focus of the game.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #1890
Jordan!
Jordan!
 
Jordan!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jordan!
Exp:
Default

I have actually never played through A Link to the Past but put in 4 hours this past weekend. Great game!

One game i'm dying for on Switch is Wind Waker HD. The post is already done. Cmon Nintendo..
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #1891
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I’m pretty open. I just want something fun that could kill an hour or an afternoon. Chances are I won’t play a ton and won’t buy many games, so Zelda, Mario, and the online subscription all sound good so far, but honestly anything outright “fun.”

I will also likely never ever play online. So nothing where that is a main focus of the game.
Mario Odyssey and Mario Maker 2 are good options then - the latter is online only, but is pretty much just you playing other people's levels. No requirement for any of the actual multiplayer levels. Zelda Breath of the Wild is fun and very long. There's a remake of Link's Awakening coming out next Friday too.

Of the games I own, Diablo III is a fantastic port. Mario + Rabbids is great if you like SRPGs. Tetris 99, which is free with Switch Online. Captain Toad as a puzzle platformer. The Shantae games if you like metroidvanias.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #1892
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Splatoon 2 is a blast too if you want to play Nintendo's family friendly take on a competitive shooter but that is pretty much 100% online.

I'm not a big online guy at all either but that is one game where it's actually more accessible than say the main line console shooters.

If you didn't have a Wii U at all then Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a great game too.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-10-2019 at 09:23 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #1893
Raekwon
First Line Centre
 
Raekwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Airdrie, Alberta
Exp:
Default

If you are a Zelda Awakening fan and a nerd the collectors cups are at 7-11 now
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #1894
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Just finished Astral Chain, really enjoyable game in my opinion

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-13-2019 at 10:51 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #1895
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback
 
manwiches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I highly recommend breath of the wild.

Currently on my 2nd play-through and trying to do all the side quests and DLC. I ignored the DLC the first time but it is really fun. Happy I decided to pick it up.
I bought it May 2018. Played here and there, and didn't get into much. For whatever reason, the past month, I've invested an average of 1.5-2 hours a night after my kid goes to bed, to play. What an amazing game. I'm trying to get all the shrines right now, then will go back for the Korok Seeds, then all the DLC stuff... This truly reminds me of how I felt playing Ocarina of Time.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #1896
FanIn80
GOAT!
 
FanIn80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Mario Odyssey and Mario Maker 2 are good options then - the latter is online only, but is pretty much just you playing other people's levels. No requirement for any of the actual multiplayer levels. Zelda Breath of the Wild is fun and very long. There's a remake of Link's Awakening coming out next Friday too.

Of the games I own, Diablo III is a fantastic port. Mario + Rabbids is great if you like SRPGs. Tetris 99, which is free with Switch Online. Captain Toad as a puzzle platformer. The Shantae games if you like metroidvanias.
That's good to hear. I was wondering how well it transitioned over. It's such a good way to just mindlessly kill a couple hours, I've bought it already on multiple platforms. I may have to get it on the Switch now too... something I can play for an hour on the bus.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #1897
FanIn80
GOAT!
 
FanIn80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Exp:
Default

I've had a lot of fun playing Dragon Quest Builders, but I'm also one of those weirdos that still counts Minecraft as one of my all-time favourite games (and still plays it a lot).

Skyrim was a really good port too, I thought.

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a good iso-RPG, but I've never really gotten into the Divinity world, and Pathfinder sounds like it's riddled with bugs that makes it pointless to even play it. I know Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are just around the corner, but I'm concerned that I played the originals so much that I won't be able to enjoy them once the (can't think of the word I'm looking for)-factor wears off.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #1898
Rhettzky
Franchise Player
 
Rhettzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Section 222
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
I bought it May 2018. Played here and there, and didn't get into much. For whatever reason, the past month, I've invested an average of 1.5-2 hours a night after my kid goes to bed, to play. What an amazing game. I'm trying to get all the shrines right now, then will go back for the Korok Seeds, then all the DLC stuff... This truly reminds me of how I felt playing Ocarina of Time.
I did the same, all the shrines, collected all the armor, and just wrapped up the DLC which was really fun. But gave up on the Korok seeds as there are 900 of them, I just couldn't do it.
__________________
Go Flames Go!!
Rhettzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #1899
burn_this_city
Franchise Player
 
burn_this_city's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Collecting all the Korok seeds should be seen as a badge of shame. If you have that much time to flip rocks over you need to examine life priorities.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #1900
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

I think I got to about 400. I did everything else in the game, but that seemed pointless.
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 AM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016