Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default BSD's Heavy Workload - Issue or Nah?

Some fans think the Flames should keep playing Rittich until he sucks like Elliott or Smith. Others think his number of starts should balance to that of Talbot's.

Where do you stand? Count me on the latter. As good as Rittich is, Peters is kind of overplaying him. A goalie should not be starting 60-70 games. 45-50 is sustainable. Health is wealth and I'd rather see him go all in when it matters the most - the playoffs.
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #2
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that it can definitely be concerning, especially with a 1B like Talbot that should bea be able to play about 30-35/82 games this season. But, it looks to be more like 60 games Rittich.

It would be wise to have Talbot play the next two games, and then have Rittich play against the Knights on the back to back.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Issue. But it's an issue post all star break.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 11:35 PM   #4
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope.

Team is trying to get get back on track after a shaky start. No point throwing in your second best goaltender while the team tries to figure things out.

The trend does need to change at some point. I'm sure we'll see more of talbot in the 2nd half of the year, if not sooner.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #5
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Rittich 55
Talbot 27

2:1 ratio...sounds perfect IMO.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #6
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Talbot gets hot later in the season I say you run with him as far as you can just to give BSD a rest to prepare for the stretch run.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:45 PM   #7
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

One day soon I will defend the following statement more comprehensively. ( Don’t have time now. )

Not an issue based on available data.

I have an interesting article and analysis that was relatively recent, and actually argued that conclusion, but was flawed. Statistically insignificant.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:57 PM   #8
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPepman View Post
Some fans think the Flames should keep playing Rittich until he sucks like Elliott or Smith. Others think his number of starts should balance to that of Talbot's.

Where do you stand? Count me on the latter. As good as Rittich is, Peters is kind of overplaying him. A goalie should not be starting 60-70 games. 45-50 is sustainable. Health is wealth and I'd rather see him go all in when it matters the most - the playoffs.
Who thinks this? Does anyone think he should play until he's tired, played out, and sucks?

You always frame your posts in a negative way.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:01 AM   #9
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nah
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getoverit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 12:12 AM   #10
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think it's an issue because the Flames have another option. It's not like the Kipper days where they knew he could play like 70 and didn't put a lot of effort into finding another guy. It's probably a combination of the Flames schedule to start and they probably want to know asap if Rittich CAN be that guy.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:25 AM   #11
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it continues I'd say it'll be an issue but I think part of it so far is the tough schedule
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #12
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I honestly don't know why this even a conversation. It was clearly stated before the season that coaches, management, training staff, and Rittich himself, were targeting 60 starts in the year.

So far he has started 75% of games. Over an 82 game season that would be 61.5 games. So pretty much on the exact pace that team wants him to be on to start 60.

Additionally, last year the top 10 goalies in GP had 58 or more, 8 of them with 60 or more. Dubnyk, Price, Hellebyuck, Jones, Bobrovsky, Fleury, Markstrom, Andersen, Holtby, Gibson. Vasilevsky started 53 and was injured and out of the lineup for 14 games. I am perfectly fine with those goalies being the comparative workload for Rittich. We want a top 10 goalie in the league. Play him like one.

So in short, no, its not a problem considering it was the teams plan before the season. Rittich starting 60 games as planned, as do 1/3 of other starting goalies in the league, is the furthest thing from a concern for the team.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's only an issue if he starts getting nagging injuries or play falls off IMO. IMO the coach needs to start Talbot in a game where he's got a good opportunity to win and get some confidence. Two of his starts have been against the top team in the league so far and the last one was on the 2nd half of back to backs in Washington where he was really up against long odds to backstop the team to a win. The other three have been against the Kings, Ducks, and Sharks which are teams the Flames really haven't had a lot of success against of late although the Kings should not be insurmountable for sure.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #14
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It'll be an issue if it continues all season, but there's no problem with leaning heavily on one goalie for a significant stretch. If Talbot gets 30 starts by the end of the year, it'll be because he played 80% of the games in December and March, or something like that, not because he played every 3rd game evenly the whole way.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #15
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not an issue. On pace for about 60 starts which isn't too bad. I actually think it's good for Rittich to get plenty of starts right now. He's only at 83 NHL gp after all. Experience is good.

They can share the starts more evenly in the latter half of the season.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #16
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames are in 19th spot in the league and 9th spot in the West by winning %.

They are basically forced to go with the goalie that gives them the best chance to win in every game.

Doesn't matter if Rittich is rested if the Flames lose a couple of games and need a winning streak to get back to bubble status.

Worry about pacing Rittich when the Flames have a 3-4 game cushion on a playoff spot.

It is somewhat worrisome that Rittich is the default Flame starter. He has the 10th best save % of all the starting goalies (10 or more GP) in the West.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #17
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Not worried at all. Save percentage is an over rated stat.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #18
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll expect more starts from Talbot as soon as Peters has confidence in the team in front of him.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #19
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
The Flames are in 19th spot in the league and 9th spot in the West by winning %.

They are basically forced to go with the goalie that gives them the best chance to win in every game.

Doesn't matter if Rittich is rested if the Flames lose a couple of games and need a winning streak to get back to bubble status.

Worry about pacing Rittich when the Flames have a 3-4 game cushion on a playoff spot.

It is somewhat worrisome that Rittich is the default Flame starter. He has the 10th best save % of all the starting goalies (10 or more GP) in the West.
First post since the Flames two-game losing streak in the last week of October. How typical.

Since then they have a 4-1-1 record, with Rittich posting 4W 1OTL, a 2.51 GAA, a 0.922 SP and 1SO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 11-11-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #20
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will become an issue if it's not reigned in a little.

However, the TOP priority is making the playoffs. I imagine if the Flames are division leaders by end of November, Peters starts salting in some more Talbot and Rittich settles in at about 55 games played. If the Flames struggle to remain in contention, Rittich will be asked to play 65+ which will be a detriment to his playoff performance.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote