Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #21
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
Still not a fan of all the dislike for Frolik - he is a good player that should be in the line-up over guys like Reider
Previously maybe but I'm not seeing it so far this year. Frolik has as many points as Lucic, with worse advanced stats and leads the team in minor penalties taken.

I'm not anti-Frolik but at this moment him and Reider swapping in and out makes sense to me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #22
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Previously maybe but I'm not seeing it so far this year. Frolik has as many points as Lucic, with worse advanced stats and leads the team in minor penalties taken.

I'm not anti-Frolik but at this moment him and Reider swapping in and out makes sense to me
Ya and Reider looked pretty good last game, generated chances, skated hard, didn't take any stupid penalties. Swap him out as soon as he falters. Frolik will get back in, maybe this will help light a fire again in him and he bounces back.

I have no problem with Reider playing if he can kill penalties well and use his speed to generate scoring chances. Fro better get his game in order when he gets in the lineup again, some of the younger guys are passing him and the coach has no issue playing those younger guys over veterans who are under performing, it is refreshing.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #23
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus last year Frolik played his best hockey coming back from being scratched. Could just be motivation too
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #24
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
And no Frolik again. How long until the agent's twitter rant this time? Come on Tre let's get a trade done.
Did Frolik not play against New Jersey? I didn’t even notice.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #25
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to be a tough one. Just stay with them and see what happens.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #26
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I understand why they are going with Rittich again, but they HAVE to start getting Talbot more starts soon.

Rittich has faded in the second half both previous seasons, and if they don't want it to happen again they have to get him some rest.

Dude is on pace to start 65 games. Not ideal by any measure.
I think the team is targeting about 60-65 games for Rittich this year. So I think so far this is very intentional and what they are trying and planning to do.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #27
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
Still not a fan of all the dislike for Frolik - he is a good player that should be in the line-up over guys like Reider
Fro has 3 points and is a -10 in 18 games despite getting lots of 2nd line minutes, and has taken too many lazy penalties. He's not beyond sitting for a game or two.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #28
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Flames vs Blues, 8pm Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Going to be a tough one. Just stay with them and see what happens.
No. Set the pace, and make them respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #29
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's almost no reasonable case to be made that Frolik should be playing now. His game has been way too garbage. And everything supports that.

Well, maybe you can say play him and sit Janko instead, but that's the only other guy who truly deserves to sit out right now. And even then, that's a six of one and a half dozen to the other argument because both have been completely unsatisfactory with very few exceptions.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #30
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm somewhat of a fan of Frolik and I still mostly just hope he gets it together or gets traded. He's just so off right now.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #31
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As bad as Frolik has been, and as good as Reider has looked at times, Frolik's (0.13) points per minute is still twice as high as Reider's (0.07).

Actual production (and depth scoring) does matter.

But they're both so low that it's almost negligible. So I don't know. And it's early in the season, so a single point makes a pretty large difference on this stat.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #32
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think if Rieder had spent the majority of his time beside Backlund and Tkachuk, he'd have a few more points. Frolik's a good player but he's had an awful start to the season so I'm ok with the healthy scratching. Hopefully he comes back strong from it.

After last game I really hope the Hanifin-Andersson pairing stays together for a while and grows into a top-pair calibre. That'd be a gamechanger to have two young D that can stand on their own without needing a veteran babysitter to play big minutes.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #33
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pregame links.
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl-preview.aspx?page=/data/nhl/matchups/g2_preview_14.html

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #34
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Set the pace, and make them respond.
Exactly. Flames are at their best when they forecheck like hell and dictate the play. And they're gonna have to do it early and often against this Blues team if they want to get out of this game with at least a point.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #35
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #36
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excited and horrified for this game blues are a stacked team
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #37
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bottom line for me about Frolik is, he is simply not a Bill Peter's guy. By that I mean Froliks not a bad player, quite contrary, but he doesnt fit the mould of a Bill Peters team.

Hopefully they find somewhere for Frolik, hes been a rock solid trooper for Calgary since he signed here. One of the very few UFA signings that worked out for Treliving.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #38
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think the team is targeting about 60-65 games for Rittich this year. So I think so far this is very intentional and what they are trying and planning to do.
Well there were only 6 goalies in the entire league who played more than 60 games last year, so if that was always the plan it really makes you wonder why they dropped 2.75 million on a backup goalie. Seems like a lot of money to spend on a backup who you are planning on playing less than 90 percent of the backups in the league. Why not try to save a little coin on the backup goalie then?
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #39
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Not what they said when they signed Talbot IIRC.

I think BT said he wanted to see more around 50ish-30ish split. Makes way more sense than wearing out a guy who may or may not be able to handle it.

The most games the guy ever played was 48 and that was without the heavy travel an NHL team endures in comparison to someone in the Czech league.

I think they will get it closer to the 2/1 split as we move forward as the schedule has had an influence on things to this point.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #40
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik also seems super disinterested on the bench anytime they are panning the camera on the bench.
It's the look of "I'm just playing out my time here, don't really care"