Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2019, 12:44 AM   #1001
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I'm less impressed with his 'throw Mclean under the bus' act.
I’m sure nothing short of begging for mercy will do for you and others who are so keen to vilify him
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:48 AM   #1002
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Predominantly incoherent as ever in that interview. He was right though that the big cities change and the small towns don't change as quickly, which is a real source of the tensions and divisions we see now.
I’d like to see how coherent you would be under such scrutiny. I think he did well to explain himself and avoid saying things about how he was likely treated by SN
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:02 AM   #1003
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm amazed at some of the comments in this now very large thread, but I would like to ask where was the outrage when a now 47 year old was caught with stuffed a sock in his pants and painted his face black or brown numerous times?

Party over people I guess
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 01:03 AM   #1004
dangler22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
I begrudgingly tuned in a bit late and the first thing I heard Tucker say was "fascists" and had to nope out of there, hard.
Tucker Carlson IS a fascist.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
dangler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:04 AM   #1005
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripTDR View Post
Ughh, Facebook has become unbearable. A lot of people who've never watched hockey are all of a sudden Don Cherry supporters, and the sad part is, they are blaming CBC for all this.
If anyone ever has anything good to say they don’t go to Facebook to do it.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:40 AM   #1006
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Maybe Wyshynski means that Bobby Orr is a hug TextCritic fan? You can't blame him for that
Why not start at the top of the list.

DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:29 AM   #1007
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
I’d like to see how coherent you would be under such scrutiny. I think he did well to explain himself and avoid saying things about how he was likely treated by SN
At his age, he has an excuse, but the guy has been incoherent for a decade already. It's not the scrutiny.

Anyways, while he always had entertaining suits and personality, he has been bigoted since well before he became totally incoherent. He still wants to live in a past era when that stuff didn't have public consequences, so he doesn't belong on a national platform where it offends a lot of people. That side of him has been very unCanadian in my eyes since I was a kid and I never liked it. I'm glad people in the big cities have finally moved past accepting that type of speech.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 02:48 AM   #1008
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I see a podcast in his future. Called “you people”
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:54 AM   #1009
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Ron has had to literally sit through decades of Don's bs. Decades of it. I can't help but think he just zones out and takes himself to a mental safe space whenever Don rants. He probably gave a thumbs up, nodded and moved on without even knowing what Don had said until watching a replay.
I don’t think Ron is that dim... Strange take. “Had to sit”, didn’t Don pull his pants up twice?
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:35 AM   #1010
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
People would have been more forgiving if Cherry owned up to what he did. He hasn't.
He said maybe one thing that was maybe suspect - "you people" (or to that effect - I can't check right now).. and that's it. I would like to point out that one would have to infer what he meant by that... "you people" could mean any group of people, but one would have to make a jump for it to mean "immigrants" - it could mean "people in big cities" like Toronto based on his context... or it could mean "young people" since they largely don't think of freedom and WWII and the sacrifice those soldier's made for our freedom.

It just wasn't that bad - Cherry himself has said worse, what about all those comments about European players he has said in the past... what changed!?!... it's that some people are now looking to be victimized and they are looking for someone to blame - I simply choose not to be a victim.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #1011
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
He said maybe one thing that was maybe suspect - "you people" (or to that effect - I can't check right now).. and that's it. I would like to point out that one would have to infer what he meant by that... "you people" could mean any group of people, but one would have to make a jump for it to mean "immigrants" - it could mean "people in big cities" like Toronto based on his context... or it could mean "young people" since they largely don't think of freedom and WWII and the sacrifice those soldier's made for our freedom.

It just wasn't that bad - Cherry himself has said worse, what about all those comments about European players he has said in the past... what changed!?!... it's that some people are now looking to be victimized and they are looking for someone to blame - I simply choose not to be a victim.
"You people love, you that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey."

So, "you people" that come here from "big cities"?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #1012
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Having differing opinions is great.......unless it promotes intolerance, racism, bigotry, etc. I don't have time for that. Tucker is Tucker, we know who he is. Hearing Bobby Orr is a big fan just makes me think less of the man, that's all. So yeah, for me it is kinda sad that a guy I've looked up to for so long is a fan of someone who promotes things I find really terrible.
So what you're doing right now? Or is tolerance only reserved for views you agree with?
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #1013
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
So what you're doing right now? Or is tolerance only reserved for views you agree with?
Intolerance of those who promote hatred. The worst kind of intolerance. Good thing you pointed it out. You really got him!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 07:12 AM   #1014
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Intolerance of those who promote hatred. The worst kind of intolerance. Good thing you pointed it out. You really got him!
Yep, so promoting intolerance. Towards a group you...hate? Or do we love those intolerable bigots? Just trying to get the double speak straight.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #1015
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

What you pointed out is a false equivalency, the two are very much not the same. Two people agreeing in being intolerant towards something doesn't equal these two people being tolerant. Society is no longer accepting the same stuff it accepted not that long ago. Society is evolving.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:20 AM   #1016
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep, so promoting intolerance. Towards a group you...hate? Or do we love those intolerable bigots? Just trying to get the double speak straight.
Intolerant of Tucker's opinions and actions? Yes. Promoting hatred as he does? Nope. I'm not surprised you can't see the difference.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:21 AM   #1017
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
It’s not intolerant of a group of people. I’m not sure how you continue to participate in this thread without having any idea of what you’re talking about.

It’s your right to, of course, but your points are not effective or sensical and contribute very little. I think you can do a lot better than this (because I’ve seen you have some pretty informed points as a poster before this).
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #1018
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You’ve just created a false equivalence. Tolerance isn’t exemplified by allowing Don Cherry to spew his racist views on national television nor is it only accepting perspectives you agree with. Most people who welcome Don Cherry’s firing aren’t saying you can’t have a different perspectives, but some perspectives need to be responded to actively and negatively because it promotes hate and divisiveness.
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.

Last edited by Point Blank; 11-13-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Point Blank For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 07:29 AM   #1019
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So you’re letting your esteem for Bobby Orr be affected by what exactly? Something he said or wrote?
I think less of Tom Brady and Bill for being Trump supporters.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #1020
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Meanwhile locally, one of the Flames Nation blog writers posted this:

Spoiler!

...and apparently worse (though her Twitter account is now private so can't verify). She got fired and now half the writers at FN have quit in solidarity.

Honestly, she's also a hateful piece of crap in the same vein of what Cherry has said. But I'm not surprised to see the hypocrisy and double standards coming out of the self-important little hockey blogosphere.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post: