Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #21
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Raptors and Jays suck now so they have to spam leafs content. Preferable IMO. At least it's hockey and not boring sports.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #22
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Raptors and Jays suck now so they have to spam leafs content. Preferable IMO. At least it's hockey and not boring sports.
Raptors don't suck. They just beat the Lakers without Lowry and Ibaka. They're playing like a team. Way more enjoyable to watch than the Leafs.

Anyways Marner is likely out at least 4 weeks. I'm pretty sure if Gaudreau was just injured and rumoured to be out for a month there would be stories about him and what the Flames will have to do.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #23
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d like to start a sports network and not include one word about Toronto on it. Even when they were the opposition to one of the other Canadian teams I’d put “Calgary Flames vs the blue and white team”.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #24
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Why do Canadians outside of Toronto hate the Leafs?

- Edmonton, Winnipeg and Montreal played last night
- Ottawa plays tonight
- Montreal, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Edmonton play tomorrow night

Front page of Canada's top national sports website:

Not one single story about any of the other teams mentioned above.
Toronto Sports Network.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #25
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Puljujarvi to spend the season in Finland? WOW!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #26
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripin_billie View Post
One third of Canada's English-speaking population lives in the Golden Horseshoe. It simply makes business sense to target the largest portion of your potential customers. It's not really all that hard to figure out why they do this.
And two-thirds does not. That's a lot of fans to consider catering to.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:45 AM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

- Ottawa plays tonight

Spoiler!

I think the issue at hand is that if they cover the page with Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver stories that most of the 14 million people in Ontario (almost half the country's population) won't even bother to click on articles as there are few CFL fans and not a lot of NHL fans (Leafs fans are not necessarily NHL fans) in the province. I don't like it but I can see why they do it as they cater to their masses.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #28
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

- Ottawa plays tonight

Spoiler!

I remember when Marner signed I scrolled through nothing but articles about it on the Sportsnet app. It was ridiculous. An article on the signing and terms and maybe another on a columnist's opinion on the signing should have been the max.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #29
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think the issue at hand is that if they cover the page with Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver stories that most of the 14 million people in Ontario (almost half the country's population) won't even bother to click on articles as there are few CFL fans and not a lot of NHL fans (Leafs fans are not necessarily NHL fans) in the province. I don't like it but I can see why they do it as they cater to their masses.
I also can see why they do it. I have no issues with it at all, it is what it is. Besides, with the population mass being in one province, Ontario, its not changing anytime soon.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
I also can see why they do it. I have no issues with it at all, it is what it is. Besides, with the population mass being in one province, Ontario, its not changing anytime soon.
I will say in the US they do a better job of covering all regions as while they all do to an extent pay a little more focus to the NY area teams and other large markets you will never see CBS or ESPN page and have it covered with stories for one region like this. That picture is kind of sad for a supposed national network page and although I get it, I also believe they go way overboard, and I don't think we should ever let TSN off the hook for it as it deserves to be criticized.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I will say in the US they do a better job of covering all regions as while they all do to an extent pay a little more focus to the NY area teams and other large markets you will never see CBS or ESPN page and have it covered with stories for one region like this. That picture is kind of sad for a supposed national network page and although I get it, I also believe they go way overboard, and I don't think we should ever let TSN off the hook for it as it deserves to be criticized.
This plus its not that hard to create an algorythmic front page that keys to where a person is located. Ads seem to be adjusted for who you are, why not pages?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #32
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This plus its not that hard to create an algorythmic front page that keys to where a person is located. Ads seem to be adjusted for who you are, why not pages?
Because the Leaf fans that live out of region get precedent.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #33
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And two-thirds does not. That's a lot of fans to consider catering to.
Yes, but those two thirds are not all cheering for the same team. And when you expand out to w is the number 1 team for about half of the English-speaking population of Canada, it's still the Leafs.

This is like conservatives losing their minds over the "war on Christmas" when in reality, it's just businesses assessing what is best for their bottom line. It's not a grand conspiracy, it's just business.
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #34
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Now this I can get behind. Adjusting the stories based on ip location would be an even better business decision that just posting all of the Leafs articles.
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #35
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but those two thirds are not all cheering for the same team. And when you expand out to w is the number 1 team for about half of the English-speaking population of Canada, it's still the Leafs.

This is like conservatives losing their minds over the "war on Christmas" when in reality, it's just businesses assessing what is best for their bottom line. It's not a grand conspiracy, it's just business.
No, they're not. But considering that there is usually only one or two of them in action on any given day, it doesn't seem outrageous to throw them the occasional bone.

And no, this is not like conservatives 'losing their minds over the "war on Christmas".
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:01 PM   #36
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You can't honestly believe that the other 1/3 is cheering for the same team either

They tune out for the exact same reason that other non leaf fans do. If the rest of the population wasn't tuning out the website then they would have reason to cater more to the followers. No clicks means no content, no content means no clicks
Old 11-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #37
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

The thing that annoys me is when I think about their status as a "national" sports network, in spite of their "local" sports network practice. They don't even try, either.

There are a lot of ways, programatically, to filter and display content based on geographical parameters. Hell, you could even just have a "favourite team(s)" setting in a user's profile that will give them a curated experience based on their selection(s) (love The Athletic!).

The problem isn't that though. The problem is the content itself doesn't even exist. They could give me the option to pick a favourite team, but it would still just show me Toronto content, because Toronto content is all that really exists.

The 1/3 argument is bogus too, because if they were really writing content based on market size, then that would be a welcome change. 1/3 of the market is in Toronto? They have a writing staff of 21? Perfect! 7 people write specifically about Toronto, and the other 14 people write about the entire rest of the country. Now that there's actual content to match, enable a regional or "favourite team" setting. Bam! Now I can log in and see stories about the Flames, regional rivals, divisional rivals and then major out of region stories, in that order - with the ability to optionally just view stories from anywhere (bring on the Leafs!).

I mean. It's a national sports network right? I know it's nicknamed Toronto Sports Network, but it isn't really a local network.

(It's actually The Sports Network, for anyone who might be unsure.)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote