Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Jetsfan
Account Removed @ User's Request

Exp:
Default Remove qttime.exe

Periodically during the last three years my computer would freeze, goto a bluescreen and re-start. Recently, I had my computer repaired and had Norton Anti-Virus installed. In the last to weeks my computer has freezed, gone to bluescreen and re-started three times. When I checked "History" on Norton I noticed a program called qttime.exe was running just as this error occured. I Googled it and found the following...

Apple's Quicktime Plug-In for your browser. it allows you to quickly view .MOV movies from inside of a web page. It is a component of the Quicktime Player Package.

This is NOT the browser plug-in, and it is NOT required to play Quicktime files at all! It's basically a shortcut that takes two megs of ram. Remove it!.

You can prevent it from starting with msconfig. Go to Run... type msconfig & under startup uncheck qttask. on next restart and prompting, tell msconfig NOT to come up after reboot.

I did this and it worked...however...

You can uncheck it in MSCONFIG but it will return once QuickTime runs agian. To stop this, rename qttask.exe to something like qttask_old.exe and it will never come back in MSCONFIG.

it came back once I use Quicktime or iTunes. The people on the site say I should...

If you remove it from the registry in HKLM Software Microsoft Windows Current Version Run, it will come back after another quicktime video is loaded. instead, navigate through that path, find the "Quickttime Task" entry, double-click it, and before the value "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime, add a SEMICOLON. This will keep it from starting up. It may not be able to be removed permanently, but you can render it useless.

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Shared Tools/MSConfig/Startupreg/qttask Delete the whole key. Also delete string in RUN key as mentioned numerous times. I did this a couple of days ago and it has not regenerated itself like it used to. Stopping this task from running using the "proper" method of unchecking it in QT prefs did not work.

Has anyone here sucessfully done this and it worked? THANKS!
Jetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Are you sure this is actually causing your freezing or if it's just running at the same time. What error are you seeing on your BSOD's?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had the same problems. I strongly dislike start-up programs that return to enabled status by themselves after being physically disabled via "msconfig" by the user.

I've never tried the fix you quoted. I've learned to a.) live with the stupid qttask.exe start-up program or b.) live without Apple products on my PC.

I know this is veering off of the main point of this topic, but another option is to use a program other than Norton for your Anti-Virus needs. Norton is famous for being a memory hog. There are lots of good alternatives out there, some even free. Kaspersky, NOD32, Avast and AVG come to mind readily as options that are very good at virus prevention (real-time or not), and use far less system resources than Norton and McAfee.

EDIT: I hope you can find a fix, one way or another.
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Marvelous
Draft Pick

I had to edit the registry to get rid of that pesky thing on my EEEPC

Source : http://www.i64x.com/eeexp.php

Disable Unwanted Startup Programs
Click Start and then Run. Type regedit and press Enter. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run. Click on the Run folder and notice all of the programs that start up when your Eee starts up. Most of these were installed by installing the drivers from ASUS. You can delete as many of these as you want and your Eee will still start up just fine.

Here's an explanation as to what all of them do, so you can decide if you want to keep them or not.
(Default) - Default folder key. Don't delete this.
Alcmtr - Application that installs with the audio driver. Delete it.
AsusACPIServer - This is the ACPI driver for your Eee. You can safely delete this and the Windows ACPI driver will do a fine job of controlling fan speed with CPU temp.
AsusTray - This utility is used to switch between 800x480 and 800x600. If you don't use this, you can delete it to speed up Windows boot time.
HotKeyCmds - You can safely delete this and your Fn+[Key] commands will still work fine.
IgfxTray - Intel tray icon. Delete it.
Persistence - More intel junk. Delete it.
RTHDCPL - Installs with the audio driver. Delete it.
SkyTel - I think this is part of the modem, which is integrated with the audio chipset. Delete it.
Marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

OMG, people do NOT follow these instructions.

1)99% of people will have different things that start up.
2)The whole "I think" parts of these description don't lend much confidence.
3) if you delete the wrong thing then you can create serious issues.

The RTHDCPL is part of the realtek audio drivers, but they are required by the drivers. You will find you system crashing at some point. Maybe not on reboot, but something you run will need it and won't work.

Skytel has nothing to do with your modem. (It is another compnent of the Realtek drivers, but in this case may be safe to remove, unless you use what it does)

Bottom line, unless you know exactly what you are doing, do NOT screw with your registry. Websites like this are scary (and BlackViper is one of the scariest - very little benefit, very great risk).
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

solution, get rid of that garbage quicktime alltogether. if you still want to be able to view .mov files, get Quicktime Alternative. all it does is modify an old version of windows media player to play quicktime movies. takes up very little space, runs no processes in the background and it still plays embeded video files
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #7
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

As Bobblehead said, why modify your registry directly? Microsoft provides a rather good tool for controlling start up programs and services without any danger to the overall system stability.

<windows key> + r (run dialogue) and enter "msconfig".

Mucking about in your registry can cause some unintended but serious damage to the system. I've found most registry errors are unrecoverable and usually result in a full system reinstall, which gets tiring after the first 3 times...

That said, for qttime... just right click on the icon on your task bar, go to options or preferences, and deselect the "Load when Windows Starts" option.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 AM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Uhh...Marvelous, like others have said. You are doing it the totally unncessary, hard, and dangerous way. It really is not any more useful than using msconfig! Anybody who is reading this thread, don't follow those instructions! Especially with the guesswork about programs, even if they are part of the eeePC and I know personally what a headache ASUS Windows systems are out of box...

START -> RUN -> type in "msconfig"

click the "start-up" tab.

Then there is a list of all your start up programs, past and present. You can tick them off on the checkboxes to select what you want or don't want.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
Jetsfan
Account Removed @ User's Request

Exp:

START -> RUN -> type in "msconfig"

click the "start-up" tab.

Then there is a list of all your start up programs, past and present. You can tick them off on the checkboxes to select what you want or don't want.[/quote]

Thanks everyone for all your responses!

Did this and it works...until you either listen to iTunes or watch video with Quicktime. As soon as I did this qttask.exe is loaded back into startup. That was why I was looking for a more permanent solution.
Jetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan View Post
Did this and it works...until you either listen to iTunes or watch video with Quicktime. As soon as I did this qttask.exe is loaded back into startup. That was why I was looking for a more permanent solution.
Hmm...Itunes should have some sort of "don't load at startup option" If not...

I think it's safe to just delete it. Make a copy on your desktop in case but just go ahead and delete it.

Also, instead of using Quicktime to watch video, go download Quicktime Alternative and Media Player Classic.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote