Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Schultzie
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Buying A Wireless Router

I'm looking at buying a wireless router, but I'm not sure which one to get. I have been told that Linksys and DLink are two of the better brands, so the ones I have been looking at are a Linksys WRT54G (and the cheaper WRT54G2), and a DLink WBR2310 Wireless Rangebooster G Router.

Out of those, which do you think would be better? It's my understanding that most wireless routers are the same, but which one would have better connectivity, range and an easier setup?

Thanks!
Schultzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

this probably won't be the most helpful advice but here it is anyway!

i have a router by buffalo technologies. back when i was needing a new router i decided i wanted dd-wrt on it so that i would have more options for functionality. when i was on the dd-wrt site, there were plenty of people that had modded their linksys wrt54g to have dd-wrt firmware, but most reviewers said that buffalo routers were better. i ended up getting this item off of newegg a couple years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Techno...562397&sr=1-15

unfortunately, buffalo got sued or something and can't sell in america.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...25-high-speed/

so i don't know if you can still buy their stuff in canada or what. additionally, based off that amazon link, prices are higher. i got mine from newegg for around 50 bucks.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I had a dlink but it was getting in fights with my ps3. When it comes to situations like that, I always side with my black buddy. Traded it in for a linksys and have had really good times since.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/search.php?searchid=659252

Lot's of advice and opinions in those earlier threads. I have a WRT54G. It died then came back to life a week or two later for some reason. It's been running okay for the past few months with only a few hiccups along the way. That said, I wouldn't buy another one.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
metal_geek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

anything that will run DD-WRT is good I use ASUS 500 Preimum.. BUT WRT54G are pretty good wrt'd or outta the box.
________
Macumba forums

Last edited by metal_geek; 05-06-2011 at 12:22 AM.
metal_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
AvsJerk
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I had a dlink but it was getting in fights with my ps3. When it comes to situations like that, I always side with my black buddy. Traded it in for a linksys and have had really good times since.
I have also been having problems with my ps3 and linksys wrt54g...what is this black buddy that you speak of Russic? I have become so irritated that I don't even bother playing online anymore...but with NHL09 coming soon, I want to fix this. Thanks for any help.
AvsJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
WindomURL
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ah, it's too bad you didn't post this yesterday. The Linksys WRT54G was on the Days of Dell Deals site for $39, but it's off today.
WindomURL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was in the same position as you Schultzie and in the end, went with the Linksys Wireless N Home Router (WRT610N). It was super easy to setup and use and while slightly more than the WRT54G2, it had a few more features that I liked as a longer term investment in hardware.

Link!
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeGirl View Post
I was in the same position as you Schultzie and in the end, went with the Linksys Wireless N Home Router (WRT610N). It was super easy to setup and use and while slightly more than the WRT54G2, it had a few more features that I liked as a longer term investment in hardware.

Link!
I did exactly the same thing.

I figured my router will outlast my laptop, so no point not getting an N router at this point.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsJerk View Post
I have also been having problems with my ps3 and linksys wrt54g...what is this black buddy that you speak of Russic? I have become so irritated that I don't even bother playing online anymore...but with NHL09 coming soon, I want to fix this. Thanks for any help.

Just kidding. I'm referring to my ps3

What I mean is, when my router is fighting with my ps3, it's pretty obvious which one is going in the garbage. I recently moved into a house and managed to get my music wirelessly streaming from my basement to speakers upstairs. In order to do this I needed to buy a router than would give off a 802.11n signal, so I bought a WRT150N router. Been working very well all week.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #11
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have that Linksys router and it's been good seeing as I don't have much knowledge in all the wireless facets. Anyway mine has recently been cutting my internet signal on me and I would have to unplug and re-plug and then all is fine. It's being annoying, is there an easy fix? ..other then buying a different one.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #12
AvsJerk
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Icon25

Well, I upgraded to the Linksys wrt160n (yesterday) and am very pleased with it so far. No problem at all playing online with my ps3. Finny 61, my old Linksys wrt54g would do that to me all the time also...usually all I had to do was press the reset button for 5 seconds...still annoying though. Funny stuff with the black buddy Russic, that flew right over my dense head until I saw the Colbert picture .
AvsJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks Avs, worried it was somethng I was doing on my end, I'll have to consider perhaps upgrading to this new N network router.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote