Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #1261
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Interesting interview on 960 this morning with Dave Dickenson. They were discussing on all the NFL trades over the past day and who the Patriots should bring in to back up Brady. Boomer brought up Kaepernick and DD said he wouldn't as he doesn't think he's very good. They asked him if he thought Kaepernick was better than some other backups available and he said maybe a little but not worth the distraction.
Did he suggest someone else instead of Kaepernick? I'm really curious to see who actually comes in as I'm sure there will be an immediate comparison to Kaepernick.

I also am getting tired of the "distraction" narrative. In week 3 or 4 pretty much half the NFL kneels or linked arms in unity, and all news outlets spent a lot of airtime discussing what was happening. Even Trump was tweeting 20+ times about it. Not sure how that is not a "distraction", but Kaepernick is. The whole situation is just silly.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #1262
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Don't mind the Ajayi pickup, definitely adds to the depth in the backfield. Excellent 1-2 punch with Blount. I would have preferred a linebacker or OT depth but this is pretty good.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:01 AM   #1263
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Did he suggest someone else instead of Kaepernick? I'm really curious to see who actually comes in as I'm sure there will be an immediate comparison to Kaepernick.

I also am getting tired of the "distraction" narrative. In week 3 or 4 pretty much half the NFL kneels or linked arms in unity, and all news outlets spent a lot of airtime discussing what was happening. Even Trump was tweeting 20+ times about it. Not sure how that is not a "distraction", but Kaepernick is. The whole situation is just silly.
Added media attention. Do you need 20 extra reporters milling about your second or third string QB asking questions unrelated to the game?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #1264
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InBurkeWeTrust View Post
Good for Ajayi's fantasy value
Apparently Miami figures his knees are almost worn down/done?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #1265
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Added media attention. Do you need 20 extra reporters milling about your second or third string QB asking questions unrelated to the game?
If you want to distract the media from the rest of the team, then sure. The term "cannon fodder" comes to mind.

But the Pats will probably pick up Hoyer. Rumour is that he was originally part of the deal to go the other way, but by cutting him then the Pats signing him it changes the compensatory pick formula. Plus the 49ers are now on the hook for all the guaranteed money (just shy of $10 Mill) and the Pats will probably only need to pay backup money.
https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/10...p-pick-formula
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #1266
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post

I thought it was more interesting how DD was pretty frank about things and said he didn't think he was very good. I wish the guys would have asked him how he thought Kaepernick would fare in the CFL. Really it's looking like if he wants to continue with football it's his only option. Plenty of QB needy teams so he would probably get a chance to start sooner than later. I feel he could do fairly well if he really puts in the work to learn the nuances of the league as his athletic skills remind me of Burris in his prime when he was a dual threat QB. I tend to think he would be better than Manziel.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:25 PM   #1267
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Benjamin Allbright ✔ @AllbrightNFL
Got several emails last night that coaching staff for #Browns HIGHLY upset at front office. Coaches in building working, FO went home at 5 while coaches continued to work the night before the trade deadline. Sasha Brown was unaware of the Jimmy G trade and was actually informed of it by an irate coaching staff who had lobbied to acquire him, over an hour after it happened. Coaching staff feels that the front office is undercutting them by not acquiring the talent they need to win, and not putting in matching effort to do so.

... typical Browns.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #1268
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin traded to Buffalo, source tells ESPN.

for a 3rd and a 7th, according to Rapoport.

Last edited by devo22; 10-31-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #1269
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin traded to Buffalo, source tells ESPN.

for a 3rd and a 7th, according to Rapoport.
Interesting I have no clue why the Panthers would make that trade.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:18 PM   #1270
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter
Bengals and Browns actually agreed to AJ McCarron trade at 3:55 pm, per source involved. Bengals approved trade to NFL, Browns did not.

oh Browns.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:30 PM   #1271
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

AJ dodged a bullet.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #1272
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bengals and Browns actually agreed to AJ McCarron trade at 3:55 pm, per source involved. Bengals approved trade to NFL, Browns did not.

oh Browns.
@HammerNation19
Grossi says that apparently the Browns were celebrating their trade and forgot to call in the deal before the deadline...
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:08 PM   #1273
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

oh Browns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
@HammerNation19
Grossi says that apparently the Browns were celebrating their trade and forgot to call in the deal before the deadline...
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #1274
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeremy Lane has failed his physical. New trade is Duane Brown plus a 5th for a 2nd and a 3rd.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:15 PM   #1275
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look for Osweiler to start next week in Philly.

They have to do something. Siemian has completely imploded. There's a lot of talk about the line, and rightfully so, but Siemian has become a one read guy who is a terrible decision maker.

Osweiler is a better QB. Lynch isn't an option yet.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:28 PM   #1276
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Lynch is healthy he needs to play. Playing Brock is putting a bandaid on cancer. Lynch at least has the unknown factor. More than likely none of the Broncos QBs will be on the roster next year, might as well see if Lynch can do anything before signing Cousins or Alex Smith or drafting a QB.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:40 PM   #1277
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
@HammerNation19
Those front office guys need to be fired. So much incompetence.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:47 PM   #1278
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean it's a funny story because it's so Browns it sounds made up, but is McCarron really that much better than any of the guys the Browns currently have? And isn't the goal for them the #1 pick? So why not ride it out with the crap you have. I think if anything this trade being botched is a blessing in disguise.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:51 PM   #1279
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Look for Osweiler to start next week in Philly.

They have to do something. Siemian has completely imploded. There's a lot of talk about the line, and rightfully so, but Siemian has become a one read guy who is a terrible decision maker.

Osweiler is a better QB. Lynch isn't an option yet.
As an Eagles fan, I will be completely thrilled if Brock starts.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #1280
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean it's a funny story because it's so Browns it sounds made up, but is McCarron really that much better than any of the guys the Browns currently have? And isn't the goal for them the #1 pick? So why not ride it out with the crap you have. I think if anything this trade being botched is a blessing in disguise.
I don't believe that McCarron would be a solution to the QB problems they have but he should be better than Kizer and Hogan. I still think that Kessler could be a pretty decent QB. Even with McCarron the Browns aren't climbing out of the last place spot.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote