Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #2061
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

So Steeler players are now blaming Harrison for causing his own release.

Quote:
"I don't care. Bye. Have fun," Pouncey said of Harrison's release and decision to join New England.

"I don't want the media to portray that we're the reason he left. That ain't the reason. He chose to leave. He made certain decisions and his actions got him to this circumstance." Bud Dupree

Cornerback Artie Burns said Harrison's "energy" showed the team he was mad over a lack of playing time, which created "a whole thing with him and the guys upstairs," leading to his release. "I guess [New England is] where he wanted to be," Burns said.
Sounds like a whole lot of whining and sour grapes to me. They cut a 14 year vet 2 weeks before the playoffs and he is the one getting the gears? Ridiculous. I now hope that if NE and Pitt meet in the playoffs, that NE steamrolls them....something unthinkable any other time.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #2062
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Neither of the Pouncey brothers seem like the sharpest guys out there.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #2063
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well there's also this.

Aditi Kinkhabwala @AKinkhabwala
Teammates generally don't like when another teammate leaves a stadium on gameday b/c he's not dressing. According to another of Bud Dupree's teammates, that happened more than once w/ James Harrison this year. #Steelers

bottom line, no one's bigger than the team. Several Steelers indicated today Harrison wanted out for a while and was vocal about it. If you want to paint Harrison as the victim here, then go ahead. But there's two sides to this.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #2064
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
well there's also this.

Aditi Kinkhabwala @AKinkhabwala
Teammates generally don't like when another teammate leaves a stadium on gameday b/c he's not dressing. According to another of Bud Dupree's teammates, that happened more than once w/ James Harrison this year. #Steelers

bottom line, no one's bigger than the team. Several Steelers indicated today Harrison wanted out for a while and was vocal about it. If you want to paint Harrison as the victim here, then go ahead. But there's two sides to this.
He played 40 snaps this season....40 in 14 games he dressed.

If they didn't want him playing they should have cut him long ago or offered him another position to retire but stay with the club. This isn't some 2nd year guy hanging by a thread to stay in the lineup, this is your alltime sack leader, 2 time SB winner, Defensive player of the year, and certainly a mentor to many a guy that came behind him.

He deserves better treatment than what he has received from both the front office and even moreso his teammates. Football is a cut throat business for sure, but there are certain times when its not JUST business any more.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #2065
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

look, I get it. In a cold cut-throat business like the NFL, I like some loyalty and respect as much as any other fan. I certainly wanted him to play out the season and then retire with the Steelers, but it is what it is. Let's also not forget that James Harrison once refused a pay cut as a 35 year old and signed with the Bengals instead. It certainly goes both ways ... same regarding "better treatment from his teammates", given that he apparently left the stadium on gamedays and made it known he'd prefer to be somewhere else.

As for the 40 snaps, I don't think they envisioned this kind of season themselves. When they re-signed Harrison, they couldn't have known that they'd be able to draft a guy like T.J. Watt who comes in and exceeds all expectations. Butlers scheme is very demanding for the OLBs and Watt and Dupree are workhorses who can make it work. Their backups Chickillo and Moats are core STers. At some point, it's a number's game and they simply have better options available. Could they have handled the situation better? Hell yeah, a lot better. But again, that probably goes for Harrison too.

Personally, I want to see players who want to be there. That's why I also wouldn't shed a tear if Martavis Bryant was traded this upcoming offseason.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #2066
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Anyone else excited for the Lynch - Mahomes bowl this weekend? No? Not even their parents are? That’s a shame.

I’m hoping for Denver to fail miserably and make Mahomes look amazing so KC let’s Smith go for cheaper. The odds that him or Keenum are the Bronco QB next year are far higher than Cousins.
I think Keenum stays in Minnesota
Old 12-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #2067
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Yeah i get it as well...to a point. But this seems like to me that its all because he went to the Patriots. Are the players making the same comments if he signed with the Panthers or the Rams or some other PO bound team who wont be in their way to the SB? Im thinking its unlikely. Which is where the sour grapes/whining looks so obvious to me.

The whole thing just stinks for a guy who has earned better treatment from what is supposed to be one of the more classy organizations in the game. Does this happen if Art is still around? Who knows but Im guessing he wouldn't allow it to play out the way it did.

All thsi coming from a guy who is an avowed hater of all things Steeler...except when it came to the Pats and a couple other teams at the most.

Ive always had mad respect for the way Harrison played the game however and his freakishly athletic ways.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #2068
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I think Keenum stays in Minnesota
Agreed...though Bradford will probably be available.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #2069
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone explain to me why, as a Broncos fan, I am supposed to be making fun of Brock Osweiler for the content of this clip rather than questioning why he is the only player captured in the video who seems to give a F#$@ about winning a meaningless game? Is that where we are as a sports watching society now?

Old 12-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #2070
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

based on this clip, it would appear that these teammates have little or no respect for Brock... this team is in serious disarray.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #2071
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

New York Giants ✔ @Giants
The #NYGiants hire Dave Gettleman as general manager. DETAILS: http://bit.ly/2zJkbYV
Old 12-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #2072
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another week, another defensive starter on IR for the Saints, as OLB/DE Kikaha gets the IR designation for the second consecutive year.

That's now 7 out of the 11 defensive starters from week 1 who are now on IR for them, what is going on this year??
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #2073
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Anyone else excited for the Lynch - Mahomes bowl this weekend? No? Not even their parents are? That’s a shame.

I’m hoping for Denver to fail miserably and make Mahomes look amazing so KC let’s Smith go for cheaper. The odds that him or Keenum are the Bronco QB next year are far higher than Cousins.
Not excited but intrigued to see Maholmes. He was the unusual top 10 project pick. Some good tools but in need of a lot of refinement. At the least the Chiefs will get to see if he has progressed or if he's another Jeff George.

What can Alex Smith fetch in a trade? Can he still garner a 2nd or is he down to a third or lower? He's had a good year statistically. But right now no NFL defence is good enough to win a SB with him at QB. He's had 5 chances to lead his team to a winning or tying drive this year and mustered a lack lustre last second field goal to get the Giants game to OT after he played badly, and a game winning FG against Washington after they lost some key players.

Good enough to get a team to the playoffs, even the Division round. But there isn't a team in the NFL right now that he could win a Super bowl with
Old 12-28-2017, 07:07 PM   #2074
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Not excited but intrigued to see Maholmes. He was the unusual top 10 project pick. Some good tools but in need of a lot of refinement. At the least the Chiefs will get to see if he has progressed or if he's another Jeff George.

What can Alex Smith fetch in a trade? Can he still garner a 2nd or is he down to a third or lower? He's had a good year statistically. But right now no NFL defence is good enough to win a SB with him at QB. He's had 5 chances to lead his team to a winning or tying drive this year and mustered a lack lustre last second field goal to get the Giants game to OT after he played badly, and a game winning FG against Washington after they lost some key players.

Good enough to get a team to the playoffs, even the Division round. But there isn't a team in the NFL right now that he could win a Super bowl with
I would be utterly gobsmacked if Alex Smith got a 2nd. Jimmy G went for a high 2nd and that’s for a young possibly franchise QB. Smith more likely goes for a couple of 4ths, maybe a 3rd. Between FA and the draft there seems to be a glut of QBs available and I don’t know that Smith stands out. As a player I put him on par with Tyrod.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #2075
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Smith is 50-26 as a starter in KC. If they trade him, he will get more than a couple late picks. Likely a 2nd..maybe a 3rd. He is not as bad as so many claim. He is in that mid pack of guys.

There are a glut of QB's, but very few are any good. He isn't THAT bad.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #2076
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Smith is 50-26 as a starter in KC. If they trade him, he will get more than a couple late picks. Likely a 2nd..maybe a 3rd. He is not as bad as so many claim. He is in that mid pack of guys.

There are a glut of QB's, but very few are any good. He isn't THAT bad.
By no means is Smith bad. In fact I'd argue that only Wentz, Brady, Wilson have played better than him this season. But he is 33 and only has a year left on his deal. That's what brings his value down.

I'm not sure the Chiefs can move on yet, they'll get some inof on Sunday. But given the steep price they paid for Maholmes they might move this off season to get something.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #2077
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith's market is limited to teams close to contending, but needing solid QB play. So that's Buffalo, Arizona and Denver for sure, and maybe Jacksonville since I'd rather have Smith than Eli (and of course Bortles). I think the Chiefs probably keep him for that final year. If he plays great again or Mahomes doesn't develop, you can always franchise him for one last shot at it and it won't harm you long term. It's not a bad problem to have, but it's difficult to get maximum value.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #2078
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Browns would be a perfect spot for Smith. The former GM is there and he has million picks. Browns can actually draft a top QB and let him develop for a year while Smith plays next year and then moves on to a team he wants to go to.

Of course thats with Hue being kicked to the curb.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:18 PM   #2079
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Smith did take over a 2-14 Chiefs team and lead them to the playoffs the next year. If the right HC is in place like say Matt Nagy, than the Browns might work. One thing about Smith is that he is a true professional. Any young QB would benefit from his mentorship on and off the field
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #2080
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Smith did take over a 2-14 Chiefs team and lead them to the playoffs the next year. If the right HC is in place like say Matt Nagy, than the Browns might work. One thing about Smith is that he is a true professional. Any young QB would benefit from his mentorship on and off the field
Naw, that turnaround was 90% Andy Reid. He might be a bad "game manager" but he's still one of the best coaches in the league and has been for 2 decades. The Browns are an organizational disaster from the top down. They need someone with legitimate clout to turn that organization around and not a "hot young coach". They need an old veteran guy to just cool things out.

Don't get me wrong, Del Rio and Fox aren't great coaches but they can at least bring some stability to that tire fire.