Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #281
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't see dedicated portable gaming devices lasting beyond the next 5 years. They are like compact cameras. Phones are good enough.

There mobile business so far is disappointing that they are releasing mobile type
Games like Mario run instead of high quality console like games.

I also thought (could be wrong) that the consoles/held held device themselves barely break even over the life span. And it's the profit from
The games that drives profits.
Except, they aren't. The 3DS continues to sellout to this day. Phones have been around for some time now.

Nintendo actually sells consoles for a profit, unlike Microsoft and Sony.

Phones simply don't deliver the gaming experience people once thought they would. Tap controls don't work great for traditional gaming experiences though, and lots of people still want traditional gaming experiences.

Nintendo has just kind of always done their own thing. They have a business model that makes them money, and they stick to it. It may be outside of what the industry leaders do. They're a fiscally conservative company that just goes about their business as best they can.

Has anyone seen any info regarding pre-order on the Pro Controller yet?

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-14-2017 at 03:27 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #282
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't see dedicated portable gaming devices lasting beyond the next 5 years. They are like compact cameras. Phones are good enough.

There mobile business so far is disappointing that they are releasing mobile type
Games like Mario run instead of high quality console like games.
Let me know when SD cards are standard on phones again, so we can actually fit multiple 2-10 GB "high quality console like games" on our phones.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #283
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

"High quality console-like games" are a virtual impossibility on mobile because touch controls are awful for all but the simplest games or for games that move slowly enough to allow passable use - like turn-based RPGs. Not to mention that the mobile economy is such that people expect to pay no more than a dollar or two for most games.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #284
Jonrox
Backup Goalie

Exp:

People lose their minds when they have to pay more than a couple bucks for a mobile game. I can't imagine the reaction if a console-like game showed up on the mobile app stores for $60 to $80.

It doesn't matter how great the experience is, most mobile "gamers" expect a lot for a little (or nothing).
Jonrox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonrox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #285
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonrox View Post
People lose their minds when they have to pay more than a couple bucks for a mobile game.
But then have no problem paying $200 a month in extra lives on Candy Crush.

Mobile gaming is so weird. And not in a good way.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #286
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
But then have no problem paying $200 a month in extra lives on Candy Crush.

Mobile gaming is so weird. And not in a good way.
Business model based on gambling and addiction tendencies.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #287
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I'm aware why. Just not a fan, especially with it creeping into full-scale gaming.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #288
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Old 01-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #289
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I'm aware why. Just not a fan, especially with it creeping into full-scale gaming.
Oh, I totally agree with you.

Another symptom of the race to the bottom are people's complaints about game pricing.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #290
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

EB Games is running some pretty decent trade in deals towards Switch. I took in my neglected Xbox One and a few games and ended up getting $270 credit towards my order.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #291
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope that third party games flood this thing. Indie games, everything.

I doubt it'll be connected to my TV very much, it looks like an awesome portable. I REALLY wanted Darkest Dungeon on the Vita, but it is pretty small - would pay for that on here.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #292
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I love that Capcom is still releasing Street Fighter II games, 26 years later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #293
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It's understandable if you're not a Zelda fan though. Fewer launch games means fewer chance to immediately appeal to a potential customer. Personally, I'm just a little sad that Dragon Quest Heroes II is a launch day release in Japan but probably not here given the PS4 NA release is scheduled for the end of April.
I suppose so -- for me, Nintendo consoles from the Wii onwards have more been supplementary to Playstation. If I get a big first party Nintendo game every 6 months (Zelda, Mario) with some weird party-game Japanese stuff in between (Bomberman, Puyo Puyo Tetris, for example) that's more than enough to justify it for me. Especially when I paid for 75% of it trading in my Xbox One that I literally haven't turned on in a year.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #294
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
EB Games is running some pretty decent trade in deals towards Switch. I took in my neglected Xbox One and a few games and ended up getting $270 credit towards my order.
I think I'll end up trading all of my WiiU stuff (console, games including major ones like Mario Kart, Smash, an unplayed Xenoblade) and end up around $400. Roughly what I paid for with most of the stuff so it'll be a pretty nice wash but the part of me that isn't overly excited about the Switch makes me want to hold for some discount or proper bundle.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #295
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Lack of games certainly hasn't hurt pre-orders. GameStop announced it sold through its entire initial allotment, and is trying to get more. I would presume this includes EBGames here.

http://investor.gamestop.com/phoenix...cle&ID=2237454

That was probably kind of expected though. We'll see if Splatoon 2, FIFA, Skyrim and Mario can carry the system to sales throughout 2017.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #296
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Lack of games certainly hasn't hurt pre-orders. GameStop announced it sold through its entire initial allotment, and is trying to get more. I would presume this includes EBGames here.

http://investor.gamestop.com/phoenix...cle&ID=2237454

That was probably kind of expected though. We'll see if Splatoon 2, FIFA, Skyrim and Mario can carry the system to sales throughout 2017.
half scalpers lol

We all love the Nintendo games...they need to do a better job with 3rd party support and I fear the lack of power will limit it, like the last two consoles.

Cost is insane too...console, zelda, pro controller

I will likely buy it since I buy all consoles but will wait a bit
Old 01-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #297
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am hoping there is virtual console support day 1, and some downloadable size games. Otherwise it will be a long wait until Mario shows up, and lets be honest here, it is going to get delayed.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #298
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I am hoping there is virtual console support day 1, and some downloadable size games. Otherwise it will be a long wait until Mario shows up, and lets be honest here, it is going to get delayed.
This is so true but if it means the best Mario game we have ever seen it will be well worth it. I'm waiting for Mario and buying Zelda on Wii U.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:41 PM   #299
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Odd virtual console strategy they have: each month gives you access to a new VC game, but after the month is up, you lose access to it unless you buy it. A bit like PS+ from Sony or Xbox's Games with Gold, but unfortunately you don't get to keep them.

Hopefully Nintendo charging for online means they can make some investments in it. For instance, chat in games... every time I've heard that brought up, the Nintendo person says "via the app". Are they just speaking oddly, or do you need a mobile app to chat with friends?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #300
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
This is so true but if it means the best Mario game we have ever seen it will be well worth it. I'm waiting for Mario and buying Zelda on Wii U.
Thinking about doing the same...if you don't care about portability there doesn't seem to be a massive difference. Graphics on the switch are somewhere between the PS3 and PS4