Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2022, 10:24 PM   #661
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I think its just UCB for what its worth.

That said, crazy reading through r/Ukraine and its posts - same sort of topics as if posted by you or I online, except they're acknowledging they're now being invaded and in war. Its a surreal juxtaposition
It looks like Russia isn't just rolling over them, I'm not sure if a Russian Jet got hit or a missile, but the Ukraine air defence definitely took something out.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:25 PM   #662
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
it makes some of my anti flames sentiment seem so ####ing stupid. im so sorry. its so petty and meaningless.
Be grateful you live somewhere where you're afforded the luxury of getting to have those meaningless sentiments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
Protesters are likely going to be flamed with flamethrowers and I mean this seriously.
If this actually happened, I think this would actually be enough to spur military intervention from the West.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:26 PM   #663
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am stunned frankly that Putin is going in with force.

As mentioned to Pointman, I don't really understand it...I know there's a historical connection, but is it really worth invading? What does Ukraine offer really? Territorial security I guess? Not like its a super wealthy country, considering the financial penalties to come.

it would be like China invading Taiwan...sure they consider it 'part of China' but is it really worth a war?

really sad, and a little worried this expands into something more substantial...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:26 PM   #664
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pointman - do whatever you can to stay safe, including not posting on CP if necessary.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 10:27 PM   #665
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
It looks like Russia isn't just rolling over them, I'm not sure if a Russian Jet got hit or a missile, but the Ukraine air defence definitely took something out.
I would assume right now the US cyber guys are just running riot in the Russian command and control
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 10:28 PM   #666
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I would assume right now the US cyber guys are just running riot in the Russian command and control
I would be surprised if they got much anything done.

Russia and China seem to way ahead in cyber warfare preparation.
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:31 PM   #667
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I would be surprised if they got much anything done.

Russia and China seem to way ahead in cyber warfare preparation.
Because they're louder?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 10:33 PM   #668
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

As mentioned to Pointman, I don't really understand it...I know there's a historical connection, but is it really worth invading? What does Ukraine offer really? Territorial security I guess? Not like its a super wealthy country, considering the financial penalties to come.

it would be like China invading Taiwan...sure they consider it 'part of China' but is it really worth a war?

really sad, and a little worried this expands into something more substantial...
I fully believe that some men invade or bomb other countries solely because it makes them look tough and feeds their ego and no other reason.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 10:34 PM   #669
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
LOL probably, you hear about China and Russian hackers all the time. But all as examples in Information Security of the big successful attacks, that barely anyone notices until it to later are mostly related to NSA, FBI, CIA, or Israel.

The wide breadth of skills and sheer manpower is scary good.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:38 PM   #670
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

Thats the part that I don't get. Like the territorial security I kind of get - but when you think about it, why is Russia so concerned about Nato proximity? Like sorry bud, its not Nato coming in and attacking you out of the blue to take over your territory if they happened to be in Nato. Its Putin worrying about the west....worrying about Putin doing dumb sheet. If you don't fuc# around, you wont 'find out'. What an idiot.

Sad by the Russian people will have to suffer (economically, etc) until something changes.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:41 PM   #671
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
LOL probably, you hear about China and Russian hackers all the time. But all as examples in Information Security of the big successful attacks, that barely anyone notices until it to later are mostly related to NSA, FBI, CIA, or Israel.

The wide breadth of skills and sheer manpower is scary good.
Yea, US intelligence had full copies of the Russia's Ukrainian invasion plans more than a month ago so their Infosec is probably better than the Russians. Either that or half of Putin's inner circle have been compromised by the alphabet group. Probably a bit of both.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:43 PM   #672
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Thats the part that I don't get. Like the territorial security I kind of get - but when you think about it, why is Russia so concerned about Nato proximity? Like sorry bud, its not Nato coming in and attacking you out of the blue to take over your territory if they happened to be in Nato. Its Putin worrying about the west....worrying about Putin doing dumb sheet. If you don't fuc# around, you wont 'find out'. What an idiot.

Sad by the Russian people will have to suffer (economically, etc) until something changes.
Putin wants the Soviet Union back, and Nato complicates that if they let Ukraine in.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:46 PM   #673
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pointman, please stay safe. I’m not sure what level of tracking is done in russia, but don’t want you to jeopardize your safety for a few posts.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:47 PM   #674
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

To be fair, most countries are paranoid about this kind of stuff. If Mexico or Canada bought the latest Russian fighter jets or missile systems I don't think the US would just let it slide
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:48 PM   #675
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Yea, US intelligence had full copies of the Russia's Ukrainian invasion plans more than a month ago so their Infosec is probably better than the Russians. Either that or half of Putin's inner circle have been compromised by the alphabet group. Probably a bit of both.
or maybe they are using the Onion Network to communicate LUL (they probably aren't, but that'd be funny and dumb).
Old 02-23-2022, 10:50 PM   #676
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/air-...attack-2786035
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:51 PM   #677
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Yeah, the US had the most complex virus in history across an air gap and destroying highly specifically targeted physical equipment, while relaying "all clear" data, years before the other countries were even off the mat. Then it turned out it was just a subset of an even more wide ranging surveillance hack.

They've still never come close to admitting it. I think noise is probably the exact opposite way we want to look at effectiveness.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:55 PM   #678
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
"To anyone who would consider interfering from the outside: if you do, you will face consequences greater than any you have faced in history. All relevant decisions have been taken. I hope you hear me," Putin said.
incendiary statement by Putin... not sure what the right play is here...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:56 PM   #679
JoseCuervo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Lots of Russians out on the streets of Moscow protesting, on social media. No flame throwers. Weird.
JoseCuervo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoseCuervo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 10:57 PM   #680
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s suggesting that the Ukrainians’ best hope is to inflict as many casualties as possible on the invading Russian forces. That’s it. Not hard to understand.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote