Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
wiiwii
Draft Pick

Post NHL09: PS3 or Xbox360?

For which system will you be buying NHL09? PS3 or Xbox360?

Just want to do a quick poll, since I am picking up a console just for the game and was leaning towards the PS3 for the free online play. I know there will be more Xbox gamers out there since it's such an established console, but I want to see just how bad the ratio is. I'm a long time PC gamer so the idea of paying a monthly fee for online play doesn't appeal to me very much.

wiiwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

shouldnt this go in the tech talk subforum?
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=50775
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We already have two threads dedicated to people who are joining a CalgaryPuck team for the EA Hockey League.

The PS3 thread http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=61678

The 360 thread http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=61679

These will give you a good idea of how many people are interested, and put your name in if you want to join up.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

PS3 has support for 7 controllers so it's a good party game if you have enough controllers(and friends lol). I think if you had 2 xboxes that could work also?

360 has custom soundtracks where you can put in goal scoring songs etc. really, really cool, I wish this was in the ps3 version.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
PS3 has support for 7 controllers so it's a good party game if you have enough controllers(and friends lol). I think if you had 2 xboxes that could work also?

360 has custom soundtracks where you can put in goal scoring songs etc. really, really cool, I wish this was in the ps3 version.
7 people in one room playing? Wow, that would be so fun

Anyways to answer the question I'll be getting it for the 360.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Scott, get an X-box, that's what everyone on the Puckers has, plus the game always has a laggier feel for the PS3. Oh yeah, and NEVER post a thread in the wrong area on Calgarypuck!!!!!!!! (Damn Oiler fans).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Scott, get an X-box, that's what everyone on the Puckers has, plus the game always has a laggier feel for the PS3. Oh yeah, and NEVER post a thread in the wrong area on Calgarypuck!!!!!!!! (Damn Oiler fans).
Not to start a pissing war, but that's not true.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Not to start a pissing war, but that's not true.

Pissing war commence!!! I say it does, and the controls feel weird as well.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
Puddy27
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I suggest to the OP to try both and then buy what you prefer. You'll never get a definitive answer EVER on this topic. I personally dislike the Xbox but that doesn't mean it's worse or that I am right. As Flameswin doesn't like the controls on PS, I dislike the controls on Xbox. Try before you buy dude.
Puddy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why doesn't the original poster (WiiWii) think about getting a Wii
Old 09-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
wiiwii
Draft Pick

Quote:
What I've heard is that was true in the past but not true this year.

Decisions.... decisions...

Oh and who the hell has "sub forums" in an off-topic forum? Do flames fans not comprehend irony?

wiiwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #13
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

To continue in the vein of the pissing contest, this is what might happen to your Xbox:

For those not down with the video games, this means that my console is effectively a very small boat anchor AND it's out of warranty! I'm going to be calling them quick here to see how much it costs to get it repaired, but I may just end up buying a used/new one, IF I buy one at all.

Update: They fix the 3 red lights for free. It's almost like this stuff happens all the time!

Last edited by WhiteTom; 09-09-2008 at 10:07 PM.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

i actually just bought a ps3 last week. i got some good advice and also researched both systems for quite some time. for me, the ps3 was better because it offers the blu ray which i am sure will get used a lot in the future. also the free online gaming along with built in wifi, meant i was downloading stuff from the net and playing online about 5 minutes after i got setup.

though xbox does have the better online interface according to pretty much everyone, that wasn't a big deal as i dont online game a lot. additionally, i don't play many exclusive games that are only on one system. i play madden, nhl, rock band, and other games that are on both systems. i was worried about the xbox breaking down. seems to have lots more reliability issues. also i like the PS controller more than xbox as its what i am used to. though the ps3 was a bit more pricey than some of the xbox models, i felt it was worth it. i like that i can swap in a bigger hard drive myself without even voiding the warranty. for 60 bucks, i can move up to a 150 gig hard drive.

those are some of the things i thought about when making my purchase. don't get caught up in all the fan boi rhetoric that flies around out there. and if you get a ps3, join the eashl team!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #15
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The developers have even stated that this year the game will run at the same framerate on both systems. I played the demo for both and neither seemed smoother than the other.

After getting 07 & 08 for the 360 I'll be getting the PS3 version for the fact I don't want to pay to play in the EAHL since I'm not a big multiplayer and would rather spend the $60 I would have to on a year of Live on another game. The fact that more people I know that will get it have a PS3 is another reason. Not having custom soundtracks sucks but it's something I can live without.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote