Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default IR Passthrough and general audio questions

OK, trying to figure out the best way to hook up all my stuff to my tv and surround system after I get my ps3 and dvd recorder. I'm limited on my surround to 1 rca input, 1 digital optical, 1 digital audio (looks like a rca, but is orange), and an IR input

currently I am connected like this:

starchoice- colorstream (composite RGB) video to tv, digital optical to surround

dvd- S-video to tv, digital audio (orange) to surround

wii- colorstream for video to tv, colorstream audio to rca to surround

ps2- S-video to tv, rca to surround (switched between wii and ps2 depending what I'm playing.

In a couple weeks I will be adding a PS3 and a DVD recorder, both of which will have HDMI outputs (at least I think the ps3 does), so going to have to figure out how to hook up the sound.

My tv has rca out, digital optical out and an IR passthrough for audio (if that's what the IR is for) so what I was thinking was this:

PS3 and DVD recorder through HDMI to TV (TV has 2 HDMI inputs)

Wii and ps2 stay the same for tv and surround (if I keep the ps2 hooked up)

Starchoice hooked to DVD recorder through colorstream RGB (and as mentioned DVD to tv through hdmi. BTW I talked to starchoice tech and was told this would work instead of buying the DVR reciever.)

My big question is what to do with the starchoice sound. If I was to hook it to the dvd using the colorstream composite cable would I lose the raw surround feed that I have with the digital optical? Or would it still be a decent surround signal going into the DVD? If I did it this way I could come out of the tv using the digital optical and everything would be simple. Just wondering if going this way the audio is going to be lesser quality/compressed or something?

If I was to keep the starchoice going to the surround with the digital optical, then my only option for sound coming out of the tv would be that IR passthrough, but I can find no info on it at all, both on what it is exactly and what it would take to get it to work. (I just tried configuring my tv to use it, but I can't find a place in the menu to enable it)

So if anyone can tell me what it is exactly and what it would take to get it working, ie if I need to buy something, it would be appreciated. Or if someone could answer my other question about sound compression/quality with hooking the starchoice to dvd and then digital optical from tv to surround that would help too. Thanks in advance

p.s. sorry it's a bit complicated, but was trying to explain it as simply as possible

Last edited by Crispy's Critter; 09-07-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added pic for clarity
Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote