Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Latest Windows/Microsoft ad much ado about nothing. Jerry Seinfeld stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smpltxe-8jQ

I know the seinfeld show is about nothing, but this Windows ad is either an exercise in how much money Gates & co have or a lame attempt at shoeshorning in a seinfeld episode in 90 seconds.

Last edited by Cliche; 09-05-2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: for Aiur!
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that makes me want to run out and buy Vista...Wait a minute, I'm already using Vista.

Damn you, Seinfeld!

Wait...What?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 AM   #3
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was clever. Who cares if it wasn't for a specific product.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get this, it's a commercial about... nothing.

He's eating a Churro, he sees Bill Gates buying shoes and he helps him out. There's a commercial, that's the commerical.

Isn't Bill Gates getting out of the computer business?
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
...Isn't Bill Gates getting out of the computer business?

To persue a career in acting??

I kinda liked how it was random and about nothing.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I see what they're doing ... but I really don't know what that'll do for them from a branding perspective. When I heard they were fed up with the mac vs. pc ads and were going to retaliate with Seinfeld ads I was interested. I'm not really sure how this helps them. Maybe I just don't get it.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Too bad there's no way to link to a specific post on the TR boards, but one of their users used the metaphorical approach towards the commercial. Comment #7. (I realize now that the commenter was attributing the meaning to a zdnet forum poster, no link was given however)

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/15456

Quote:
Here's a quote from a ZDNet user you can ponder...
Looking into the shoe shop, Gates had the chance of selecting a shoe which fits him. Windows 'ecosystem' is like that. Different computers of various shapes and forms which fits your needs. Also the flexibility of the shoe compares to that of Windows. (Linux also)

About Seinfield having shower with his clothes on, that refers to the Mac. You are not legally permitted by Apple to build from scratch like some personal system builders can do on Windows or Linux platform. Macs come pre-built from Apple (Psystar and co are seen as illegal in Apple's eyes). You are not legally allowed to build from bare bones or naked PCs.

At least at the end when Seinfeld asked "Are they ever gonna come out with something that will make our computers moist and chewy like cake so we can just eat them while we're working? If it's yes, give me a signal. Adjust your shorts." and Gates gave a sign. Microsoft is placing some Windows gurus at some Best Buy stores to convince people to buy Windows PCs. Some people wether in small numbers after seeing this ad would be curious as to what the new product from Microsoft is and some of these people will end up talking to these guys who will convince them to buy Microsoft products.

This particular ad was made for people to figure out what is going on and therefore make them follow the subsequent ones which will need no brainer to uncover the reason behind it. (Just like how the Playstation 3's 'This is Living' ad started)
Old 09-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
Too bad there's no way to link to a specific post on the TR boards, but one of their users used the metaphorical approach towards the commercial. Comment #7. (I realize now that the commenter was attributing the meaning to a zdnet forum poster, no link was given however)

So this post is saying that Microsoft is saying something very simple but doing it in an overly complicated way? Sounds like Microsoft to me.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was funny. It's obvious that Microsoft is trying to change it's image and I'm not sure why that's not clear to people. Mac fans think the ads are stupid? What a surprise.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I'm not a Mac fan, and I don't have a clue how that was supposed to sell an OS.

But then I'm not going to buy a computer based on a commercial, so I guess it isn't directed towards me.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kill myself laughing at the "Leather" comment everytime.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
I kill myself laughing at the "Leather" comment everytime.
Yes. That's the best part.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
Con-Roy!
Draft Pick

I like how the photo on his Clown Club Card is his mugshot photo from when he was arrested.

Last edited by Con-Roy!; 09-05-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Con-Roy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Huh, well I guess I'm one of the minority that thought this commercial was about as funny as rush hour traffic on the Deerfoot. And just as informative.
LeftWing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I thought it was funny. It's obvious that Microsoft is trying to change it's image and I'm not sure why that's not clear to people. Mac fans think the ads are stupid? What a surprise.
so you're saying that an individual who is either non biased or not a mac fan would find that ad informative, persuasive or funny? I don't know man, the general opinion I've heard from my pc using friends has been pretty close to mine.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #16
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
so you're saying that an individual who is either non biased or not a mac fan would find that ad informative, persuasive or funny? I don't know man, the general opinion I've heard from my pc using friends has been pretty close to mine.
The point of the spot wasn't to be informative or persuasive. It was merely to create a report with the audience while laying in the ground work for future marketing involving Seinfield.

While it was mildly funny, I think they could have done a lot better. Especially since they are being held up to Apple's campaign. If the audience doesn't "get it", then the spot failed.

It's pretty obvious that Microsoft has a lot of learning to do when it comes to the home PC market.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #17
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

guessing they used the same writers who wrote the series finale of Seinfeld

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post

If this is true, they're kind of scuttling their own boat. It's such an obtuse commercial, and by taking this amount of time/text/discussion to figure out, just highlights the perceived weaknesses of the PC - complicated, confusing and unintuitive.

I don't know if they thought it would appeal to the "highly cerebral" crowd who'd actually waste the time figuring it out, but that's definitely the minority of consumers and likely those already using the PC. This certainly isnt going to convince Mac users likely my parents, who find PC's so cumbersome. FAIL!
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #19
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy's Critter View Post
guessing they used the same writers who wrote the series finale of Seinfeld

You took the words outta my mouth. What I actually found funny was the Gates ass wiggle at the end along with his mugshot picture. Rest was not funny, adding to the assertion that Seinfeld isn't funny without his castmates and Larry to write the script.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote