Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon59 New Brighton/Copperfield

Has the smell improved over the last few years? That house we wanted and Seton was taken we need to get a house in the next 30 days so we're down to these two communities for houses that we can afford and we want.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

My brother lives in Copperfield and I've never smelled the landfill. I'd avoid New Brighton though.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have live in new brighton for almost 15 yrs. we live close to the clubhouse and i can say i have noticed some funky smells a handful of times.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #4
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read that the smell was from rotting vegetation, but all the developments has drained the swamp and ponds. I can't find any news articles last 3-4 years about the smell

Edit : the wetlands not ponds

Last edited by White Out 403; 01-16-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #5
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever we drive along Stony past Copperfield there is a strong smell that comes from the ponds to the east. I believe they wanted to drain these but can't get approval and are trying to incorporate them into the stormwater design for Hotchkiss (community east of Copperfield). So the smell could be around for a while and it's obviously much worse in the summer.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friend just moved in with his gf to NB. He's counting down the days until they move. Apparently it's awful. Copperfield may be a better bet.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Might as well move to Okotoks.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #8
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me trying to find a home right now
Old 01-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure something will come up. You can always live in hotels for a bit while you find something.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

In all seriousness: Can I ask why so far away? What’s your budget/main needs? My partner and I went through the process not too long ago, it sucks, but we ended up getting an amazing spot by just changing our scope completely and figuring out what was most important.

I don’t wish home buying on anybody. Im young and still never want to do it again. If the BF and I split, I’m taking that house.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
Pontine
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I lived in Copperfield for 5 years and just moved from there this past June. There were some days when the smell was noticeable, but I didn't find it too common. If it happened, it was usually during the summer. It did get noticeably worse as you drove towards 130th though.
Pontine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #12
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

30 days is pretty tight to find a place, put in your offer, clear the conditions, and take possession.

Have you considered renting for a bit while you look for a place?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #13
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
In all seriousness: Can I ask why so far away? What’s your budget/main needs? My partner and I went through the process not too long ago, it sucks, but we ended up getting an amazing spot by just changing our scope completely and figuring out what was most important.

I don’t wish home buying on anybody. Im young and still never want to do it again. If the BF and I split, I’m taking that house.
My wifes family, who are delightful people and make my family look like ogres (edit: except my late Mom, who was a saint), live in Auburn Bay and Cranston.

So the area around that is our target. We cant find a home we like in Cranston right now and Auburn is like that but more expensive. I would live in Legacy/Walden in a heartbeat but it's 15 mins from Cranston which sucks.

We need a home thats 2000 sq feet at least and I want a newer or new one. Copperfield has a great one that's new and affordable but then you hear some people write "oh man the smell" then other people say there's not really a problem. It's the conflicting opinions on such an important purchase that adds to the stress as much as possible.

If we cant find a home for the 14th it's no big deal we can live with family and our really good mortgage rate is ok for 90 days. but I'd rather saw off my penis than live with my Dad.

Last edited by White Out 403; 01-16-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #14
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why not get a short term rental until you find a place you both really love? There doesn't seem to be any shortage of places. Even a 6 month lease would give you a bit more time. Definitely not something you want to rush into, assuming you're looking to buy.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #15
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in New Brighton, and can confirm there is a smell probably once every couple weeks. It can be pretty poignant, but like I said, it's only once every couple weeks. I do like the community however, especially given I have young kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
If we cant find a home for the 14th it's no big deal we can live with family and our really good mortgage rate is ok for 90 days. but I'd rather saw off my penis than live with my Dad.
You got a good rate on a pre-approval? Generally those two things don't go hand in hand.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:08 AM   #16
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Why not get a short term rental until you find a place you both really love? There doesn't seem to be any shortage of places. Even a 6 month lease would give you a bit more time. Definitely not something you want to rush into, assuming you're looking to buy.
It may come down to having to wait, but, I don't want to wait beyond 90 days or the interest rate on my mortgage shoots up a lot. I'm going to be entering into a blended rate for 5 years which is a lot lower than current rates, and it's worth finding a home in 90 days for. Well, 117 ish days from now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
You got a good rate on a pre-approval? Generally those two things don't go hand in hand.
It's a blended rate between my current rate and the new rates extended out 5 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 08:08 AM   #17
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Seems like he has worst case scenario covered (living with parents). A month is incredibly short for the buying process, but I think fitting it within the 90 days and not having to go through the mortgage approval process again is totally doable.

6 months of rent is just a bad waste of money. I’d rather have to settle on a house that you can work to make “your own” than drop 6-10k in rent.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 AM   #18
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Seems like he has worst case scenario covered (living with parents). A month is incredibly short for the buying process, but I think fitting it within the 90 days and not having to go through the mortgage approval process again is totally doable.

6 months of rent is just a bad waste of money. I’d rather have to settle on a house that you can work to make “your own” than drop 6-10k in rent.
You can always offer more money for an expedited possession. This is the time of year where people are likely flexible on possession as there isn't huge holidays or summer vacations and such going on.

Look long and hard and you could find a house you really like where they are desperate to sell in this market and could get a quick possession.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #19
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think our next move is to start offering people 8% below list and try and get 5-6% below asking and see if a long bomb hits. I've put on the FIFA 14 soundtrack and am back at work on the realtor sites.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #20
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I live in Copperfield, and as others have said it really depends on where you are. Close to the Tim Hortons/ Shell- yes it can be bad there. Further south, occasionally notice it.

I'd be more cautious about being too close to Stoney. One of my top 3 reasons for moving from one part of Copperfield to another was Stoney. The plans all show a noise burm that was supposed to be built, and then was scrapped.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote