Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #2221
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Big day regarding the Transmountain Expansion today. I'm not expecting good news.

I think the decision is irrelevant, the Environmental groups are already preparing lawsuits.

The minute that announcement comes out

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #2222
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
If the Feds truly wanted TMX it would be built tomorrow.

Ban oil imports from Washington State. Indicate no more federal transfers to B.C. until they comply. Expropriate land across the country for a transportation corridor. More public relations across the nation about the projects importance. And my personal favourite- just start building it. “But the rule of law!” They create the laws. They just created laws to try and bail out SNC.

They aren’t in a rush and what’s needed is a rush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Urgency is the main element missing for sure. Alberta languishes and sells the world's cheapest crude while the government takes their time to placate groups acting in bad faith being paid off to oppose the pipeline at all costs. Makes no sense.

Let's all pray to God that the NEB or Canadian Energy regulator or whatever bastardized body the Liberals have unnecessarily set up to fix a non-existent problem comes back with the correct recommendation today. Three possible lifelines to the coast when these clowns got in and now we're clinging to the last one by a thread.
In all seriousness though, is any government going to do that? I mean the Liberals obviously aren't. The CPC doesn't talk about pipelines in Quebec, let alone talking about expropriation or banning oil imports. I have a hard time believing that anyone would actually do this.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #2223
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think the decision is irrelevant, the Environmental groups are already preparing lawsuits.

The minute that announcement comes out

I agree, and honestly that tells you everything you need to know about their frivolity. I think that everyone expects the NEB to come out with an approval, even the environmentalists. But to have them already preparing to challenge this legally is just ridiculous.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #2224
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Opponents of the project are already planning their response, which will include legal challenges, he said on Thursday.
“It’s likely there are going to be more lawsuits and more delays because of them, and if the cabinet decides to go ahead and restart construction, you’ll see protests in the streets and along the pipeline route,” he said.
https://boereport.com/2019/02/22/reg...ansion-battle/

Yup, they have the lawyers on speed dial. If we can't have a process that everyone agrees with whatever decision they make, why have a process?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #2225
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://boereport.com/2019/02/22/reg...ansion-battle/

Yup, they have the lawyers on speed dial. If we can't have a process that everyone agrees with whatever decision they make, why have a process?
They will never be appeased. Ever. That's why you need a government with a backbone.

Were not going to get one. Which is why pipelines won't be built in this 'Country'.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #2226
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's not the bar. The bar is to have a process where its decisions actually matter and aren't going to be immediately appealed regardless of their rationale.

It would also be nice if this sort of blatant abuse of process had some consequences.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #2227
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
In all seriousness though, is any government going to do that? I mean the Liberals obviously aren't. The CPC doesn't talk about pipelines in Quebec, let alone talking about expropriation or banning oil imports. I have a hard time believing that anyone would actually do this.
I bet you they would. And if they didn't? Then they're idiots too. Chretien expropriated land for something far less serious than this. It's what real governments with real leadership do.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #2228
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I bet you they would. And if they didn't? Then they're idiots too. Chretien expropriated land for something far less serious than this. It's what real governments with real leadership do.
Lol, well all I can say is that if they won't say they would do it, I doubt they would. I mean if they won't even broach the topic in Quebec there is no way they're rolling in the tanks and banning oil imports.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #2229
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, well all I can say is that if they won't say they would do it, I doubt they would. I mean if they won't even broach the topic in Quebec there is no way they're rolling in the tanks and banning oil imports.
Sure. All we can say for sure is that the Liberals are ####ing up hard right now in our current unfortunate timeline. A report just got released saying cabinet is asking for a delay on a decision now pushing back the timeline on the project further and nullifying the summer construction season. But what's another year right? No big deal, not like this needs to be solved quickly in any way. Let's spend another 12 months living on the razor edge of takeaway capacity with the provincial government curtailing production and buying railcars all to appease groups that are acting in bad faith. The important thing is to speculate wildly on what the CPC would or would not do.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #2230
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

NEB release

http://www.neb-one.gc.ca/bts/nws/nr/2019/nr04-eng.html

16 new regulations that fall outside of the NEB mandate but under the federal government mandate

Quote:
The NEB will impose 156 conditions on the Project if it is approved, and has made 16 new recommendations to the Government of Canada. The recommendations relate to matters that fall outside of the NEB’s regulatory mandate, but within the authority of the Government of Canada.

So now its in the hands of the Federal Government as the 90 clock starts. I would expect especially considering the conditionals that they put in that this is heading to court.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #2231
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. All we can say for sure is that the Liberals are ####ing up hard right now in our current unfortunate timeline. A report just got released saying cabinet is asking for a delay on a decision now pushing back the timeline on the project further and nullifying the summer construction season. But what's another year right? No big deal, not like this needs to be solved quickly in any way. Let's spend another 12 months living on the razor edge of takeaway capacity with the provincial government curtailing production and buying railcars all to appease groups that are acting in bad faith. The important thing is to speculate wildly on what the CPC would or would not do.
You and I just have a differing view on what makes sense here. You're not wrong that we could and maybe should ram the pipeline through at all costs. I just question whether (A) that's actually sensible and (B) whether any party/government would actually do that. I don't believe they will. Obviously, we can see by their approach that the Liberals aren't going to do that.

The current "delay" is the same one from the fall. The courts said that they needed to consult with the First Nations and they're doing that. So yeah, the NEB approved this and says it should go forward, but the consultation still has to be completed. It would be silly to come out today and say "yeah, go ahead and we're good to go" only to have that consultation issue left hanging out there unresolved. There is no way that would be struck with an injunction immediately, and you have to realise that? Even the approval from the NEB is going to be challenged already, and that was literally just completed, so there's no way that you could think we could decide not to do that consultation and somehow evade legal recourse?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #2232
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You and I just have a differing view on what makes sense here. You're not wrong that we could and maybe should ram the pipeline through at all costs. I just question whether (A) that's actually sensible and (B) whether any party/government would actually do that. I don't believe they will. Obviously, we can see by their approach that the Liberals aren't going to do that.

The current "delay" is the same one from the fall. The courts said that they needed to consult with the First Nations and they're doing that. So yeah, the NEB approved this and says it should go forward, but the consultation still has to be completed. It would be silly to come out today and say "yeah, go ahead and we're good to go" only to have that consultation issue left hanging out there unresolved. There is no way that would be struck with an injunction immediately, and you have to realise that? Even the approval from the NEB is going to be challenged already, and that was literally just completed, so there's no way that you could think we could decide not to do that consultation and somehow evade legal recourse?
Gotta draw the line eventually. Because the people fighting it won't stop no matter what the law or courts or the government says until its killed.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #2233
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4988674/n...medium=Twitter

Quote:
“We still say no to the project. Even if one Nation says no to the project, the project isn’t [happening]. They don’t understand what consultation means. They just have boxes to check. That is not proper consultation,” Chief Judy Wilson said from the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs.

Quote:
West Coast Environmental Law lawyer Eugene Kung says the NEB’s process was “flawed”, “biased” and was not surprised the board approved the pipeline expansion.

“It’s hard to believe that any of the conditions or recommendations will properly address the concerns,” Kung said.

“I would not be surprised if these decisions don’t end before a court after not too long.”

Old 02-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #2234
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
“We still say no to the project. Even if one Nation says no to the project, the project isn’t [happening]. They don’t understand what consultation means. They just have boxes to check. That is not proper consultation,” Chief Judy Wilson said from the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs.
No...you don't know what consultation means. It's not a veto to serve the interests of the the foreign parties paying you off. How can people take these complaints seriously? As if it wasn't obvious enough how badly the consulation process has been bastardized the obstructionists are straight up saying it in plain language. Any further efforts are a colossal waste of time. Build this thing now, no more damaging delays FFS.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #2235
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
No...you don't know what consultation means. It's not a veto to serve the interests of the the foreign parties paying you off. How can people take this complaints seriously? As if it wasn't obvious enough how badly the consulation process ahs been bastardized the obstructionists are straight up saying it in plain language. Any further efforts is a colossal waste of time. Build this thing now, no more damaging delays FFS.

The one key reason that the Federal Government should have appealed the FCA decision is it would have forced the FCA to define what satisfactory consultations are. By just blinding accepting the ruling, it just left things open to endless challenges over the concept of consultation.

Right now, Consultation doesn't have to have a veto, because in our process we've already given them a veto.

I am really pessimistic about this pipeline ever getting built, because the Liberals aren't going to go against the Indigenous voting block by telling them that its being built.

Here's what's going to happen.

Just before the 90 day clock runs out, the lawsuits will start flying in, the courts will stop any construction. Then the government will come out and say that they're waiting for consultations to end and they need to push the decision out.

So we're at the end of the construction season and start of the election season and there's no way during the election season that the government is going to say yes or no.

At some point before the election Bill C-69 will pass, there will be lawsuits and demands that Trans mountain should be reviewed under the new assessment protocol. This will be a platform question in the election.

Despite the bad track record of this government and its corruption the Liberals either win a slim majority or a minority that they quickly prop up by naming Elizabeth May as deputy Prime Minister or Minister of the Environment.

The government re-convenes and announces that Transmountain will have to under go a new assessment under Bill C-69.

Two years from them after extensive consultations, run away costs and studies, the Government announces that Transmountain will not be approved and they will write off the cost of purchase.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #2236
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

^^ that makes me sick to my stomach
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #2237
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1099441709677572096

Notley keeps campaigning on the public dime. Once again this was something that she complained about during the last election.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #2238
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1099441709677572096

Notley keeps campaigning on the public dime. Once again this was something that she complained about during the last election.
Big surprise. Hypocrites. They’re the government that got elected that the majority of Albertans never wanted. If it weren’t for the wildrose conservative vote split they never would of been elected.

They won by default.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #2239
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Breaking all kinds of rules

https://twitter.com/user/status/1099533283090546688
Old 02-23-2019, 10:53 PM   #2240
Dion
Not a casual user