Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #41
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seriously, thank god Brodie is coming down. The Heat defense looked pretty questionable, even for an AHL team:

Breen-Piskula
Lamb-Martin
Callahan-McKelvie
Carson-Tuzzolino
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #42
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Seriously, thank god Brodie is coming down. The Heat defense looked pretty questionable, even for an AHL team:

Breen-Piskula
Lamb-Martin
Callahan-McKelvie
Carson-Tuzzolino
Brett Carson wasn't waived, he won't be in Abbotsford
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #43
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Brett Carson wasn't waived, he won't be in Abbotsford

Why was he not waived? It's not like anybody would have picked him up.
kyuss275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #44
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Why was he not waived? It's not like anybody would have picked him up.
As per the wacky waiver agreement, only guys on two-ways could go through.

Carson's on a one-way.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #45
Bowvechkin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can Carson be sent down at a later date then?

New faces on the blue line, hopefully Brodie can step up and fill the hole left by Clay Wilson. Anybody seen Callahan, McKelvie and Tuzzolino play? Haven't seen or heard much about them.
Bowvechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #46
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
As per the wacky waiver agreement, only guys on two-ways could go through.

Carson's on a one-way.
I forgot that Carson was on a one-way deal this year. Was his contract, 1st year - 2way and 2nd year one way or both years one way?
kyuss275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #47
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowvechkin View Post

New faces on the blue line, hopefully Brodie can step up and fill the hole left by Clay Wilson. Anybody seen Callahan, McKelvie and Tuzzolino play? Haven't seen or heard much about them.
I've never seen McKelvie play, but I've seen Callahan and Tuzzolino play.

They're both just defensemen brand defensemen flavoured defensemen. I remember being impressed with Callahan's defensive abilities when he played in Hamilton. Tuzzolino had a phenomenal last game of the season for the Heat this year, but other than that anomaly he's about a third pairing AHL d-man.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #48
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowvechkin View Post

Carson can only be sent down when a new CBA is signed as he will be (or is now) officially locked out and the NHL implements a roster freeze during this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I forgot that Carson was on a one-way deal this year. Was his contract, 1st year - 2way and 2nd year one way or both years one way?
1way for both years, I never understood why Feaster gave him that contract since he has never shown himself capable of playing on a nightly basis.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #49
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Feaster's defense, Carson was good once he was claimed off waivers and looked to be a cheap, effective #6 or 7 option. Then Brodie emerged.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #50
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
In Feaster's defense, Carson was good once he was claimed off waivers and looked to be a cheap, effective #6 or 7 option. Then Brodie emerged.
yeah he looked like he could be a 6 or 7 over the course of his entire 6 games before signings. A fringe NHLer should never get a 2 year, 1way deal. It's similar to Henrik Karlsson, neither deserved both the term and 1way status. I can see one or the other, or 1 year being 1way like Clay Wilson's contract was, but 2 years both being 1way was ill advised from the get go.

Then when you consider that Carson was injured when Feaster re-signed him it was an even worse signing.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #51
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two day old news now, but...

The almighty Troy Ward is on Twitter! Now, you can read his inspirational quotables without having to listen to his awesome post-game interviews.

You can follow him at @Troy_Ward_Tweets

Also, 23-year-old defenseman Dennis Urban has been invited to Heat training camp. The kid put up stupid good numbers last season for the Reading Royals of the ECHL. 12 goals and 35 assists in 72 games as a defenseman. He pretty small though; only 5'10" and 170lbs.

I don't know how good he'd be in the AHL, but if he can come even close to replacing the offense Wilson and Connelly brought, I'd be happy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #52
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's too bad players like Backlund couldn't sign AHL contracts so they would have a place to play.

Quote:
The AHL on Friday announced rules for accepting players after the lockout begins. According to the league, NHL players can sign AHL contracts only if they finished last season there or were on the clear day roster.
That would further limit options for players if they're locked out. Already, Sweden has said it won't accept players unless they stay all season. The Kontinental Hockey League set limits of three NHL players and one veteran foreigner per team, though non-Russian KHL teams can have more than one foreigner,
According to that, he can't even play in Sweden but it looks like Carson could maybe sign an AHL contract as he was on an AHL roster.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nhl/s...und/57783158/1
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #53
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe the thing about Sweden is just for the top league, their 2nd tier league can sign people like they did with Kopitar

last time around Gomez and a couple others played in the ECHL
Old 09-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #54
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat training camp starts next week, Sept 28th
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #55
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Heat training camp starts next week, Sept 28th
The public schedule should be released soon for anyone who lives in the Lower Mainland and would like to come check out training camp.

The Red vs. White game will be held on October 5th and it is also open to the public, according to Ward.

No pre-season games for the Heat players either. No pre-season, no Flames training camp, and no Penticton Young Stars tournament...
Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #56
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
The public schedule should be released soon for anyone who lives in the Lower Mainland and would like to come check out training camp.

The Red vs. White game will be held on October 5th and it is also open to the public, according to Ward.

No pre-season games for the Heat players either. No pre-season, no Flames training camp, and no Penticton Young Stars tournament...
I don't mind skipping all that stuff for a year. I feel like the Flames training camp is too much of a dog and pony show. The roster is generally set before it starts and rarely does anything of interest happen. The Penticton tourny can be misleading too. I recall getting my expectations raised by certain people that didn't perform, or fret when a "senior" prospect doesn't tear it up. The sample size is too small and the variety of player is too vast.

Skip to the stuff that matters. The AHL should be pretty entertaining this season. I didn't manage to catch a game last season (I listened to Ryan Pinder's broadcasts religiously), but I'm going to make it happen this year. Who do you recommend? Marlies? or Wolves? I guess Edmonton will have a stacked club too...
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #57
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked what Ward said at the beginning of this interview:

Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #58
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
I don't mind skipping all that stuff for a year. I feel like the Flames training camp is too much of a dog and pony show. The roster is generally set before it starts and rarely does anything of interest happen. The Penticton tourny can be misleading too. I recall getting my expectations raised by certain people that didn't perform, or fret when a "senior" prospect doesn't tear it up. The sample size is too small and the variety of player is too vast.

Skip to the stuff that matters. The AHL should be pretty entertaining this season. I didn't manage to catch a game last season (I listened to Ryan Pinder's broadcasts religiously), but I'm going to make it happen this year. Who do you recommend? Marlies? or Wolves? I guess Edmonton will have a stacked club too...
Marlies games often turn into high-offense fight fests, which is fun to watch.

Don't go to Wolves games. You'll have to deal with half the crowd cheering when the Wolves score. Plus, Canucks fans are generally awful human beings akin to British Colonists.

I recommend Marlies, Bulldogs, or Stars games. Bulldogs because they suck and the Heat score a lot of goals and the Stars because, again, they're generally fight fests.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #59
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Man, I can only think how much support the Heat would get if there were here in Calgary during the lockout. The rafters would be near full.

Pierre, if they ever decide to get out of dodge, hopefully they come this side of the Rockies
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #60
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Man, I can only think how much support the Heat would get if there were here in Calgary during the lockout. The rafters would be near full.

Pierre, if they ever decide to get out of dodge, hopefully they come this side of the Rockies
Believe me, me too. Me too haha.

Tags
2012 , 2013 , abbotsford , heat , prospects