Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2021, 05:17 PM   #8301
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

There are so many ways that they could look at going to a 156 game season to add some 3 game playin series, and make the 3 main rounds all best of 7 without extending the schedule.

As others note, half of September is teams who are so far out of it playing in empty stadiums to finish out the string. It would be better to cut back these games and add in some playoff games in their place.

The records that they used to be so worried about...really don't apply anymore because many of the hitting ones got messed up by the steroid era, and if they have a controversy over a guy's 400 season counting in a 156 game season, I'm sure they'll live with that after the highest average was 318 this year....Pitching wise the AL just had a year where 15 guys threw 162 or more innings. Fans understand that the game has changed as the era's change.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #8302
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
You guys would be running into very cold November games
Shorten the season.

162 is really overkill
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #8303
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

They've already given the four wild card teams at least a full days rest and devoted one day to each game. Two 3 game series could easily be accomplished in that time frame. I don't even think you need to shorten the season.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 06:19 PM   #8304
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The only reason I like the wildcard is because it gives the Jays a shot in an impossible division.

Really, though, I think the wild card is stupid. Just get rid of it and go back the three division winners and the next best team, or commit fully to the expansion and go with 8 teams on each side. All best of 7s.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #8305
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
They've already given the four wild card teams at least a full days rest and devoted one day to each game. Two 3 game series could easily be accomplished in that time frame. I don't even think you need to shorten the season.

162 is overkill, that is certain, but once everyone experiences that sweet money, there's very little chance they'd walk it back just to give 4 or 8 of the teams an extra three games. 162 games is also an attrition game, so while it's overkill, it is really nice to have a game virtually every day in the summer.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:04 PM   #8306
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Wild card game should be 3 games. DS 7 games. Seems like an absolute no brainer. Fans get more playoff baseball, owners get more revenue, companies can buy more ad space. It’s not like much else is happening right now. NHL hasn’t started, NFL season still at the start of the season, no NBA, no golf, no tennis.
We could encounter cold weather in northern cities, the longer we play into October. [Girly already made this point]
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #8307
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yup - just give less rest days during the playoffs and you can get more postseason baseball without giving up 162 games in the regular season. These guys play lots of games on back-to-back days with travel between during the regular season, so why not in the post season?
Old 10-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #8308
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

From yesterday's comments sounds like Ray is playing it coy on returning. Could be a bargaining position but it sounded more like he's taking off. Good thing because the upper echelon veteran pitchers hitting the market seem like a good amount. Go the trusted vet route and you don't pay a premium on years expected - probably just a high short term deal which makes sense given the Jays costs in a few years to re sign their young players.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #8309
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it's not the off season for MLB yet, but for the Jays it is. Not starting a new thread but thought some might want to discuss what the Jays might do. Here is a current roster break down for the 2022 Jays without any trades or signings made yet.

C - Jansen / Kirk
1B - Vladdy
2B - Biggio
3B - Espinal
SS - Bo
LF - Gurriel
CF - Springer
RF - Teo
DH - Grichuk

Other PP on the 40-man - Valera, Smith, Mcguire, Moreno, Lopez, Palacios
Key PP FA's - Semien, Dyson, Dickerson

SP - Berrios
SP - Ryu
SP - Manoah
SP - Stripling
SP - Pearson

CL - Romano
RP - Cimber
RP - Mayza
RP - Merryweather
RP - Richards
RP -
RP -
RP -

Other pitchers on the 40-man - Hatch, Castro, Kay, Thornton, Snead, Saucedo, Borucki, Baker
Key pitcher FA's - Ray, Matz, Soria, Yates, Phelps

That's actually a competitive roster as it is, but the Jays FO will obviously make some additions. I bolded obvious areas to make improvements.

IMO the biggest needs are:

1. 4th OF/DH, Grichuk cannot be the answer anymore. Preferably a left handed power bat who can play OF, DH and maybe even a little 1B or 3B.

2. At least one of Biggio or Espinal needs to be upgraded on, both set as starters when the team is healthy is not ideal for me

3. Need two starting pitchers, preferably in the 2-4 range of quality at least. If you can get a solid #1 (ace) even better.

4. 2-3 quality, durable bullpen arms. I like the nucleus of the guys that are there, and the Jays have a lot of other relievers that COULD be good, but you certainly can't count on them. They need to be in a position where if those types are healthy and hit their ceilings (Merryweather, Borucki, Kay, Thornton, Snead, Saucedo, Castro, etc) then it's just icing on the cake. Also remember, the addition of 2 starters pushes guys like Stripling and Pearson into the bullpen as long men and/or spot starters.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2021, 09:01 AM   #8310
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Nice little breakdown!

Jose Ramirez would be a good add for the Jays. Plays 3B, left handed bat, career OPS around .855. Seems durable too, not a ton of injuries. Obviously the history in Cleveland might be a factor.
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #8311
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nice little breakdown!

Jose Ramirez would be a good add for the Jays. Plays 3B, left handed bat, career OPS around .855. Seems durable too, not a ton of injuries. Obviously the history in Cleveland might be a factor.
Yeah, Jose Ramirez would an absolutely amazing acquisition. Like a grand slam home run type of addition. He's actually a switch hitter too, so even better. He'd probably cost the Jays one of Martinez, Groshans or Moreno plus plus though and only comes with 2 seasons of control, but still, I'd be so pumped.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #8312
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grichuk for Donaldson makes too much sense not to happen...

Then Biggio and Espinal platoon at 2nd.

You need to go get an ace. Pay for someone

The Jays only have 4 players under contract for 2022

Springer - 28m
Ryu - 20m
Grichuk - 9.3
Gurriel - 4.5

Obviously tons of arbitration players, but these next 2 years are when you really go for it FA wise.

Agreed term is more important then $$ (Which is why Donaldson makes so much sense as hes off the books when Vlad And Bichette get expensive)

However, if you need to open the wallet for term and $$ for an ace you need too. Just make sure you bet on the right one.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #8313
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Donaldson is entirely the wrong personality for this team.

The leaders of this team are the kids: Bichette, Guerrero, etc. They are the ones setting the culture.

Springer comes in - a vet, a leader, but he doesn't try to take over, he embraces the culture and tries to fit in. And does fit in. Semien just does his job like a pro, so he fits on any team.

But Donaldson wants to be the leader, wants to be the guy. He would change/upset the culture, IMO. I think that would cause problems.

There are lots of potential solutions for 3B, but I don't think Donaldson is one of them.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2021, 09:51 AM   #8314
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe JD has mellowed out a bit? He's not a dummy, and he can see that this Jays team is on the brink of being a juggernaut and conveniently has a gaping hole at 3B. I'm sure he is chomping at the bit for a chance at a World Series with his career winding down. He's basically got two years left. I could see him playing nice and fitting in with the Jays for a chance at winning. It'd probably even be sweeter for him to win in TO where he had his best chance at it in the past.

He may also enjoy not being the be all and end all for a teams offense at this point in his career too.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #8315
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think Donaldson is entirely the wrong personality for this team.

The leaders of this team are the kids: Bichette, Guerrero, etc. They are the ones setting the culture.

Springer comes in - a vet, a leader, but he doesn't try to take over, he embraces the culture and tries to fit in. And does fit in. Semien just does his job like a pro, so he fits on any team.

But Donaldson wants to be the leader, wants to be the guy. He would change/upset the culture, IMO. I think that would cause problems.

There are lots of potential solutions for 3B, but I don't think Donaldson is one of them.
At his age I don't see him wanting to be "The Guy" - He isnt like that in Minny

I see him being able to teach Vlad and Bo how to deal with the extra pressure, bringing leadership, and even helping them navigate the pressure of Toronto, media, etc.

Remember they have only been in Toronto a very short time (few months really)

I also think his personality fits in with our team. But he brings a bit of the grumpy old man that is needed - Think Roy Kemp from Ted Lasso!

Last edited by Jason14h; 10-06-2021 at 10:14 AM.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #8316
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Ya I think I mentioned before my fondness for JD as a Jay, but also I have some serious reservations about his personality within the clubhouse, and the the jays front office emphasis on cultivating a positive, fun comfortable place for the players to be. JD is a weird guy who is on his 5th team in a short amount of time. I have a hard time believing he has mellowed out or wouldn’t be anything but himself. I also don’t think there is any desire for the higher ups to bring in any of the old guard, Stroman, JD etc. This is Vlad and Bos team going forward.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #8317
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
At his age I don't see him wanting to be "The Guy" - He isnt like that in Minny

I see him being able to teach Vlad and Bo how to deal with the extra pressure, bringing leadership, and even helping them navigate the pressure of Toronto, media, etc.

Remember they have only been in Toronto a very short time (few months really)

I also think his personality fits in with our team. But he brings a bit of the grumpy old man that is needed - Think Roy Kemp from Ted Lasso!
I don’t think JD was much of a leader in the Jays clubhouse. Also I think Springer and Semien can/have provided that leadership and guidance to handle pressure in a big market and how to handle media.

I think JD is more Jamie Tartt season 1 than Roy Kent.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #8318
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know fans liked JD while he was here, but a few things that haven't really be considered aside from his name:
- He left critiquing management (doubt they want him or Stroman back)
- He's not durable, so him as your 3B is out of question
- Salary for bench player

I don't see a fit guys. They have other needs to spend money on, and he's just a nice to have for the bench. Can't see him working out here all things considered.

Personally, I want to see the bullpen and starting pitching bolstered. Once those are in place, I think Grichuk can be dealt for a tweak. I'd also keep Espinal and Biggio to fight it out for 2nd and 3rd base daily. They both have significant upside, and I'm sure they'll work hard this year to get better. Two high potential guys, why not try for another half season to see what transpires?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2021, 11:11 AM   #8319
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Espinal, Biggio, Smith, Lopez, Groshans and maybe even Moreno if they try him at 3B due to the log jam at catcher. He's going to the AFL soon, it'll be interesting to see what position he's playing there.

The Jays certainly have a lot of cheap internal options to try out at 2B/3B if they want to divert most of the budget towards pitching. Who knows if any of them will be able to make an impact next season, but the Jays FO probably has a pretty good idea if anyone does.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:52 PM   #8320
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

If Biggio is healthy and can produce like the 800 OPS bat he had been prior to this year than you have a guy who is well above average that you can play at 2nd or 3rd, plus the versatility to use elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see how many teams try and find a Ray or Gausman who has 2 plus pitches, and get those guys to just throw those 95% of the time and try and get 150 innings and maybe more if things work out. So will teams be willing to give money and term to guys who succeeded at it this year, or will they look for darts to throw at the board that cost less and hope something sticks?