Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2019, 11:33 PM   #1241
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Pass the bottle if you don't mind.
sorry mate but she's empty now
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #1242
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Flames save 0.5MM on the cap each year, but 9MM in real dollars over the 4 years.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #1243
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

TheScore has a good article on this but one thing stood out, Neal was a healthy scratch in S1G5 of the Playoffs. I think there was no coming back from that.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:38 PM   #1244
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a horrible trade on par with the Regehr, Phaneuf, Iginla, Bouwmeester, and Gilmour trades.

Flames take the worst contact in the NHL, and have ZERO guarantees that he will waive NMC for expansion, and all they get for it is $500k in cap savings???

The conditional 3rd is a freaking joke. I think the flames getting bent over in the playoffs broke Treliving like the constant underperforming Iginla flames broke Sutter.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:39 PM   #1245
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I look forward to some insight from a true Insider, because Im still wondering why this trade happened.

I just don't get it. I need more info.

I actually trust Treliving, If he makes a move like this, there must be a good reason for it.

But man oh man, I need to know why.
The reason is obvious.
The team needed a physical addition and this is in large part reactionary to the way we were dismissed in the playoffs.
This allowed the team to try and do that while also getting rid of dead weight, not giving up any quality players or picks and breaking even on bad salary.

Whether Lucic is the right guy is hard to swallow, but the reason shouldn't be a mystery to anyone.

I'm trying to imagine Lucic in our lineup when someone like Zadorov was physically imposing on our forwards in the playoffs and he would have played a positive role IMO.

Sure, there's physical players in the league I'd take before Lucic, but we couldn't get them for what is essentially free and cap hit even.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:42 PM   #1246
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
This is a horrible trade on par with the Regehr, Phaneuf, Iginla, Bouwmeester, and Gilmour trades.

Flames take the worst contact in the NHL, and have ZERO guarantees that he will waive NMC for expansion, and all they get for it is $500k in cap savings???

The conditional 3rd is a freaking joke. I think the flames getting bent over in the playoffs broke Treliving like the constant underperforming Iginla flames broke Sutter.
Did you just compare James Neal to those players?
Lucic aside, Neal with his salary had negative trade value. We didn't give up an asset today, completely unlike all of the trades you've mentioned.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 11:46 PM   #1247
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the contract and potential expansion implications, but let's not pretend that at worst, this is a lateral move as far as what happens on the ice
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #1248
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Did you just compare James Neal to those players?
Lucic aside, Neal with his salary had negative trade value. We didn't give up an asset today, completely unlike all of the trades you've mentioned.
We gave up a contract in that Neal could be left unprotected or bought out.

Now we have an immovable, buyout proof contact with ZERO guarantees that he will waive for expansion, so this trade could very well cost the flames an asset.

Neal was negative value, Lucic was even lower value than Neal. Oh and we just ate a bullet for the Oilers too, while getting NOTHING for taking that bullet.

Horrible trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 11:50 PM   #1249
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I hate the contract and potential expansion implications, but let's not pretend that at worst, this is a lateral move as far as what happens on the ice
Yeah, it's not a lateral move. It's most likely a worse move on the ice and definitely a worse move contract wise.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:51 PM   #1250
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
We gave up a contract in that Neal could be left unprotected or bought out.

Now we have an immovable, buyout proof contact with ZERO guarantees that he will waive for expansion, so this trade could very well cost the flames an asset.

Neal was negative value, Lucic was even lower value than Neal. Oh and we just ate a bullet for the Oilers too, while getting NOTHING for taking that bullet.

Horrible trade.
This is a fair point.

But let's be honest, this was a trade of 2 bums (both negative value as you've noted).
It may turn out to be a bad trade, but it's nothing like the other one's you've mentioned which were top players for this team.
This is a very minor move comparatively.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 PM   #1251
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Yeah, it's not a lateral move. It's most likely a worse move on the ice and definitely a worse move contract wise.
How is it a worse move on the ice? Believe it or not, Lucic has actually been the better player lately, as terribly sad and pathetic as that is
Old 07-19-2019, 11:53 PM   #1252
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess a plus is that we don't have to hope that he's going to rebound and be awesome, just to be disappointed.

We already know hes useless.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:57 PM   #1253
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
How is it a worse move on the ice? Believe it or not, Lucic has actually been the better player lately, as terribly sad and pathetic as that is
Because Lucic is even slower than Neal so the fact that he is one of the best fighters and can hit people is mitigated by the fact that most players wouldn't be stupid enough to even try to fight him.

And he is too slow to often hit people effectively unless they're pretty much standing still because he can't skate well enough.

And the rest of his hockey skills (shot & stick handling) are far too gone to for him to be salvageable.

Last edited by Karl; 07-20-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:59 PM   #1254
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want to cry.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:00 AM   #1255
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
This is a fair point.

But let's be honest, this was a trade of 2 bums (both negative value as you've noted).
It may turn out to be a bad trade, but it's nothing like the other one's you've mentioned which were top players for this team.
This is a very minor move comparatively.
A trade of 2 bums where the flames assume far more risk and they get nothing for that risk other than saving the owners $7 million.

Horrible trade that can cost this team asset wise down the road. Awful.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:02 AM   #1256
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because Lucic is even slower than Neal so the fact that he is one of the best fighters and can hit people is mitigated by the fact that most players wouldn't be stupid enough to even try to fight him.

And he is too slow to often hit people effectively unless they're pretty much standing still because he can't skate well enough.

And the rest of his hockey skills (shot & stick handling) are far too gone to for him to be salvageable.
So exactly like Neal
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:02 AM   #1257
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For the Flames I am not convinced it is a worse move on the ice. Neal was not a fit here. He wasn’t fitting in the top 6 and is useless in the bottom 6. At least Lucic can be a bottom 6 guy that hits people. For the Flames current roster there wasn’t really a spot for Neal and now Lucic eats up an expensive spot that used to be filled by Hathaway.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:02 AM   #1258
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The guy had 250 hits last year and he can’t hit effectively anymore? You’re getting a little carried away.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:03 AM   #1259
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
VERY unlikely. I will bet any amount you want that the Flames don't have to use a protection slot on him.
This time I want to be on the same side of the bet as you!

Not sure if that makes you feel better about your position or worse though, haha.
mikephoen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:03 AM   #1260
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Lucic is so useless and overpaid and slow this trade is so bad. I know Neal is all of that but Lucic is worse at all of that
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post: