Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #1101
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
might be done following the team in any capacity. this franchise will never win in our lifetimes, hockey is a dying boomer sport and i didn't even care enough to tune in for any of the playoff games and that was probably the best the team will perform for the next 25 years because we know how it goes on around here.

godspeed guys. hope the lottery gods do you right next season.
I'm always impressed by the arrogance people have that they have to announce this.
No one cares.
Follow the team, or don't. What you decide to do ain't news.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #1102
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They can't buy him out this summer, so you're correct that would never happen. Only players who were on your roster at the most-recent trade deadline can be bought out during the second buyout window.

There will be two more buyout periods before the expansion draft (June 2020 and June 2021), but as has been mentioned many times before, Lucic's contract is effectively buyout-proof.
Of course.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #1103
christoph186
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I'm always impressed by the arrogance people have that they have to announce this.

No one cares.

Absolutely, especially on here of all places!
christoph186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #1104
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Even assuming Lucic waives his NMC, the Flames are still going to expose some good players.

Protecting Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Dube, Bennett, Mangiapane, Tkachuk, Valimaki, Andersson, Hanifin, and Rittich leaves Kylington, Backlund, Giordano, and Parsons exposed.
Weird examples to be worried about there. Kylington is the only legit worry but really so much can change in two years. Giordano will be 38 years old and on the last year of his contract in the first Seattle season.

Backlund signed a pretty bloated contract for his age and production, that we kind of had to sign at the time. He'll be 32 years old making $5.3mil for another three years and likely declining. And if our need to upgrade centre comes to fruition he'll be a third line centre by then.

These are two contracts that not only do you not worry about exposing, Seattle likely won't even have any interest and we'll still have them. Losing Backlund in two years would probably be a blessing.

And Parsons? Sure, he could become a starter in Calgary in two years and that would be great, then you just have to expose the back up, whether that's Rittich or someone else. If two goalies are stars by then, then we likely couldn't afford both anyways, so just trade one for a ransom and sign a back up to expose.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #1105
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Just read the conditions. What a dumb trade all around by treliving.

Picking up one of the worst contracts in the league is a brave move, unfortunately, it's likely the beginning of the end for the treliving era if this team has another disappointing year/playoffs.
I will give you the doubt on the trade. However, the team was first in the western conference where they looked to be a bubble team at the start.

Was the bar set at cup or nothing a year ago, or am I mistaken?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #1106
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Im still sour. The other moves tree makes this offseason are going to be very important.

And after letting it Marinate, still not a fan. Still shocked he'd do this and further more Susan, I think he smokes Marijuana cigarettes.....REEFERS!

I smoke roughly 1.5 to 2grams of high THC bud a day (doctors orders I am more than happy to comply with), and even I would not have made this trade.

I am NOT a fan.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #1107
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

After my minor freak out, it doesn't bother me that much.

I am still convinced that Neal can rebound more so than Lucic, whatever. It's not crucial to the success of the team.

I am just most concerned about having to protect him for the expansion draft, but I am starting to think it won't be a factor. If he plays so well that Seattle wants him, then he is probably worth protecting anyway.

If he plays poorly, then I can't see why he wouldn't waive as he wouldn't get taken anyway, or if he did, it would give him a fresh start on a less deep time.

I can't see him not waiving it just because.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #1108
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
The NMC doesn’t matter, really. It changes to a NTC, on June 1, 2021. This allows us to expose him to Seattle.
Do we have actual confirmation on that? Because I know that's what Capfriendly used to say, but does not appear to any more. And I know that pretty much every other contract I've seen says such clauses convert on July 1, which makes a hell of a lot more sense than June 1. Absent another source, I'm inclined to believe Capfriendly was in error.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #1109
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I will give you the doubt on the trade. However, the team was first in the western conference where they looked to be a bubble team at the start.

Was the bar set at cup or nothing a year ago, or am I mistaken?
It's not a year ago, so that's completely irrelevant.

Frankly, Treliving threw away any and all good will he held with this albatross of a trade. So yes, if we have another crap playoff performance, then his future very much should be evaluated. Because he keeps making these idiotic decisions thinking it will help in the playoffs.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #1110
WilliPlett
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I can't see I am a fan of this trade either but give the man a chance. He has played zero minutes with the team. Lets not be an Edmonton or Toronto and over react on everything. Calgary has been missing the physical aspect and he may provide that. Neal was brought in for scoring and didn't provide any. So maybe this is the best of a worse situation and he provides the added physicality that this team needs. Start the witch hunt in December.
WilliPlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #1111
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames needed beef, so they got beef. Neal wasn’t going to work out with Peters behind the bench. The Oilers ate salary and put a pick in play...

All I want is a fit, energized Lucic to show up to camp and teach the kids what it takes to win in the playoffs.

If we get that, it’s a win, IMHO.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #1112
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be fantastic if so many end up with eggs on their face if Lucic actually is a positive contributor, and does much more than Neal did.

I'm hoping that's exactly what happens now. Neal future in Calgary was over in Game 5, so if this was the best that could be made out of it, so be it. At least Flames are a bit physically stronger now if he plays regularly.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #1113
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
It would be fantastic if so many end up with eggs on their face if Lucic actually is a positive contributor, and does much more than Neal did.

I'm hoping that's exactly what happens now. Neal future in Calgary was over in Game 5, so if this was the best that could be made out of it, so be it. At least Flames are a bit physically stronger now if he plays regularly.
There's more likelihood of the opposite happening, but here's hoping!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #1114
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

If he'll waive the NMC at the expansion draft, that's all the matters. There's no telling who will be on the roster come the expansion draft, as long as he doesn't need to be protected. He's already waived it once.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #1115
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
No one cares.
How dare someone put their opinions on a message board, right?

I mean, what do they think this is, a place to voice their opinions or something?

Arrogant pricks!
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #1116
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
How dare someone put their opinions on a message board, right?

I mean, what do they think this is, a place to voice their opinions or something?

Arrogant pricks!
You don't see the annoyance/arrogance of someone coming here just to post about how he doesn't want to come here?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #1117
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
You don't see the annoyance/arrogance of someone coming here just to post about how he doesn't want to come here?
I get annoyed by the vast majority of things posted on here. What right/entitlement do I have to not be annoyed?

I don’t agree with the guy/gal, but he/she probably shares the same emotions as a number of fans.
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #1118
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Lucic's super PWF powers lied in his jersey number. He's got his #17 back form his alpha male Bruins days. Who was our last #17? Was it Bouma? I think there was someone after that too.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #1119
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
I get annoyed by the vast majority of things posted on here. What right/entitlement do I have to not be annoyed?

I don’t agree with the guy/gal, but he/she probably shares the same emotions as a number of fans.
It’s just odd to regularly visit someplace that you find annoying
I mean you do you but that’s weird
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #1120
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Well he isn't going to magically become a 5M+ calibre player again.
I'd rather have retained to get rid of Neal.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote