Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #121
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much praise as Boogie's Burgers gets, I just can't stand that place. Don't know what it is, I just find it cheesy and the burgers aren't all that good, IMO.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #122
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sadly, the best burger I've had wasn't in Calgary. Surprisingly, it was at the restaurant in the Courtyard Marriott in Mississauga. Their chef is an artist! A nice big charbroiled burger with bacon, mushrooms, cheddar and the other usual topings.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #123
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
As much praise as Boogie's Burgers gets, I just can't stand that place. Don't know what it is, I just find it cheesy and the burgers aren't all that good, IMO.
You can eat a Boog Mac, and feel good after.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #124
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In the MGM Grand in Vegas I've been to the Rainforest Cafe, they have a tasty burger.

InSutterWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #125
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
If you are ever in Vegas then go to the Burger Bar at Mandalay Bay.

Hands down the best burger I've ever had is their Hubert Keller Burger, which is a Buffalo burger that you can have medium rare and is the by far the juiciest burger I've ever had.

http://www.burger-bar.com/lv_menu.php

as for Calgary.....I really like Five Guys and Crafts new burgers are damn good as well.
KGB Burger at Harrah's is pretty good too. not exactly a high end burger, but good bang for the buck and all the waitress's dress like strippers so that's a bonus. plus they're 24/7, so when it's 4am and you're hammered it's a tasty way to end the night
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #126
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
i've had Boogies once and it was pretty nasty. i had a double and it was the sloppiest burger i've ever eaten, it was impossible to keep the thing in one piece. the taste wasn't anything special either, certainly not worth the difficulty it took to stuff it down
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #127
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Paris hotel in vegas has a sports bar in it which has very good burgers
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #128
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
If you are ever in Vegas then go to the Burger Bar at Mandalay Bay.

Hands down the best burger I've ever had is their Hubert Keller Burger, which is a Buffalo burger that you can have medium rare and is the by far the juiciest burger I've ever had.

http://www.burger-bar.com/lv_menu.php

as for Calgary.....I really like Five Guys and Crafts new burgers are damn good as well.
The Mirage also has a really good burger restaurant called BLT Burger (stands for Bistro Laurent Tourondel, the chef).

I had the Wagyu burger, and it was phenominal. The milkshakes are to die for too.

http://www.e2hospitality.com/blt-bur...as/eat-in-men/
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #129
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got back from lunch at Charcut.

Burger = 70% ground sausage and 30% beef - topped with white cheddar and carmelized onions. Definitely in the upper half of burgers on our quest so far - done well without being dry.

Now if you'll excuse me I need a nap.......
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #130
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

The prime rib burger at the Sawridge in Fort Mac is a solid burger. They put pancetta (sp??) on it for peak deliciousness.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #131
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Monster Style Buger and Fries from Inn and Out is pretty high end. Used to be just Southern California that you could find Inn and Out but they are expanding like crazy and are everywhere from Las Vegas to Gilroy California and into Northern Nevada also. Maybe they will keep expanding North. You know you are eating garbage but it surprisingly doesn't leave you feeling like garbage as it is relatively fresh. After seeing Five Guys enter the Canadian market I wouldn't be surprised to see Inn and Out up here within the next five years. Prices are cheap also.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #132
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Nasty Experience

This may not count as a high end burger but yesterday the line up at Five guys Airdrie was pretty long (20 deep) so me and the mrs decided lets try the Nathans Hot Dog Place. Turns out they have burgers there aswell and being in a burger mood I decided to give it a go. Do not under any circumstances no matter if your starving,high,or drunk consume one of their burgers. My insides dont like grade F beef and a nasty bun im assuming most of yours wont either.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #133
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Inn and Out up here within the next five years.
I was just coming into this thread to say I was in Phoenix last week and finally had my first ever Inn&Out Burger, man is it tasty! Sloppy as hell too, I can see why people keep it in that wrapper.

Good thing they know I like em extra ssssloppy!

Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #134
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
Monster Style Buger and Fries from Inn and Out is pretty high end. Used to be just Southern California that you could find Inn and Out but they are expanding like crazy and are everywhere from Las Vegas to Gilroy California and into Northern Nevada also. Maybe they will keep expanding North. You know you are eating garbage but it surprisingly doesn't leave you feeling like garbage as it is relatively fresh. After seeing Five Guys enter the Canadian market I wouldn't be surprised to see Inn and Out up here within the next five years. Prices are cheap also.
I think the biggest thing holding back In N Out expansion is their dedication to never serving food that has been frozen. This means that all their restaurants must be located close to a franchise distrubution centre.

Quote:
There are currently 258 locations (as of March 2011) with no location more than one day's drive from a regional distribution center. The company's dedication to fresh food is reflected in the adherence to never freezing their produce or meat patties. As the chain has expanded they have opened several distribution centers in addition to their original Baldwin Park location.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_N_Out_Burger

So it's not just a matter of setting up a franchise location, the company has to decide to invade an entire region at a time. I think it will be a while before we see any In N Out locations in Calgary.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #135
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Just got back from lunch at Charcut.

Burger = 70% ground sausage and 30% beef - topped with white cheddar and carmelized onions. Definitely in the upper half of burgers on our quest so far - done well without being dry.

Now if you'll excuse me I need a nap.......
Did you take any pictures!?
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #136
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
No love for Burger Inn? I haven't eaten there in a long time but it used to be pretty good.

Not truly a burger, but I have to put a shout out to Holy Smoke BBQ & Smoke Pit. Go there and get a Manwich - it will change your life.
2 great suggestions

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #137
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think the biggest thing holding back In N Out expansion is their dedication to never serving food that has been frozen. This means that all their restaurants must be located close to a franchise distrubution centre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_N_Out_Burger

So it's not just a matter of setting up a franchise location, the company has to decide to invade an entire region at a time. I think it will be a while before we see any In N Out locations in Calgary.

Didn't Five Guys have similar distrubution issues before they expanded up here? I remember reading something about this a couple years back. I think if the market is good enough they would put a distrubution center close enough to reach it and maybe not going to happen in the near future but who knows? They are expanding quickly and some of the current locations that they have expanded to aren't that far out of range. Besides any successful American company that wants rapid growth and to expand quickly can't ignore the Canadian market going forward.
http://eater.com/archives/2011/03/14...-12-states.php
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #138
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
The prime rib burger at the Sawridge in Fort Mac is a solid burger. They put pancetta (sp??) on it for peak deliciousness.
Do they still do the Crab Leg Buffet Sunday nights?

Now that, that is a Buffet.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #139
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
High End Burgers - oooh, your majesty, la de da.

Didn't some sports bar on Macleod Trail win a best burger contest for a Shrimp Burger?
That was Bill Bailey's, which closed in the spring. Their shrimp burger was, indeed, super delicious. $5 plate of pork dumplings on Wednesday nights was also awesome. Not much better than cheap awesome food and a Flames game on a hump day.

Now it's "Toscana". It's one of those locations that changes over every two years ... must be cursed.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #140
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Paris hotel in vegas has a sports bar in it which has very good burgers
Mon Ami Gabbi...delicious