Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2021, 01:15 PM   #81
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't think there should be, actually. I don't think you want to use the prospect of lost money alone to disincentivize third party oversight of a process that would otherwise be a unilateral exercise of league discretion, particularly when the league in question is so bad at it. That would either just disproportionately affect players who don't make as much (if the player bears the cost), or more likely, shift money out of the pockets of the NHLPA and into the pockets of the NHL.

I think what should happen is it should effectively be a hearing de novo - with the result that there's a risk that the arbitrator hands down a bigger suspension than what was originally put in place by the DOPS.
Hearing de novo would be a disincentive but it only works if you bypass Bettman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansmack View Post
The appeal is filed by the NHLPA. It's not like this is tying up actual courts. As for the cost, Betttman earns a large salary to do his job, this is part of the job.
I'm not concerned about the cost of the proceedings. I'm just trying to address "no risk" appeals. at least it's not like the CFL where the appeal is a stay of the decision and the guy is still on the field.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:21 PM   #82
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
every suspension is appealed?

Gary should have waited a little longer for his verdict, let another few games pass
I didn't say every suspension is appealed. I am fairly confident that any player suspended for 8 playoff games will appeal. Players have nothing to lose by appealing these decisions and I'm quite surprised people are upset about it.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:24 PM   #83
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansmack View Post
I didn't say every suspension is appealed. I am fairly confident that any player suspended for 8 playoff games will appeal. Players have nothing to lose by appealing these decisions and I'm quite surprised people are upset about it.
The only concern I have with appeals by the NHLPA is basically they are saying #### the injured member of our Association. The leadership of the PA is HORRIBLE.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #84
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
The only concern I have with appeals by the NHLPA is basically they are saying #### the injured member of our Association. The leadership of the PA is HORRIBLE.
Every player has a right to representation. The PA doesn't decide the outcome.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 10:38 PM   #85
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even with an 8 game suspension will still play more playoff games than the leafs.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #86
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Every player has a right to representation. The PA doesn't decide the outcome.
IF they file the appeal on behalf of the player they are also saying the injured player, who may never play again (ie Marc Savard) is not important. It is an image thing. Why is it that they never step in on behalf of the injured player and say "that suspension is not enough"?
Old 06-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #87
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
IF they file the appeal on behalf of the player they are also saying the injured player, who may never play again (ie Marc Savard) is not important.
As I understand it, they have no choice in the matter. If an NHLPA member in good standing wants to appeal a suspension, the union has to file it.

Quote:
It is an image thing. Why is it that they never step in on behalf of the injured player and say "that suspension is not enough"?
For the same reason that victims of crimes are not allowed to appeal the criminal's sentence. The injured player isn't a party to the suspension and has no standing; the process doesn't exist to gratify his desire for revenge.

Last edited by Jay Random; 06-02-2021 at 06:53 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #88
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
As I understand it, they have no choice in the matter. If an NHLPA member in good standing wants to appeal a suspension, the union has to file it.

For the same reason that victims of crimes are not allowed to appeal the criminal's sentence. The injured player isn't a party to the suspension and has no standing; the process doesn't exist to gratify his desire for revenge.
False equivalency, the criminal and victim are not part of the same players association (notice they aren't a union because they agree on stars vs others for the pay rate. If it was a true union all players would make the same).
Old 06-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #89
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
False equivalency, the criminal and victim are not part of the same players association (notice they aren't a union because they agree on stars vs others for the pay rate. If it was a true union all players would make the same).
Why is that? Employees can bargain for whatever terms and conditions they want.

The Union represents their members in labour relation matters, a dispute between two members on the ice(their workplace) is up to their employer to deal with.

Quote:
You realize there would be legal ramifications for the PA if they opted not to represent their member when there is a legal argument to support their grievance, right?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #90
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tell that to the public service sector.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:54 PM   #91
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Tell that to the public service sector.
There is a pay scale in a public service union, it all depends on are you year 1 vs year 5 senior. The scale for each level is set $20 to $25 Level 1. So every employee classified as a year 1 employee gets the same money. All raises are based on seniority NOT ABILITY.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #92
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The criminal and victim are both citizens of the same country and subject to the same justice system. The victim is not entitled to legal representation at the trial when the Crown brings charges against the criminal, nor is the victim in an NHL disciplinary incident entitled to be represented at the offender's hearing.

Seems like a pretty exact equivalency to me.

Quote:
There is a pay scale in a public service union, it all depends on are you year 1 vs year 5 senior. The scale for each level is set $20 to $25 Level 1. So every employee classified as a year 1 employee gets the same money. All raises are based on seniority NOT ABILITY.
Pay scales are different depending on job description as well. But so what? The NHL is not in the public sector and neither it nor its players are obliged to do business by public-sector rules.

Last edited by Jay Random; 06-05-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:12 AM   #93
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Has already served 6 of his original 8 games. What if the arbitrator rules it should have been 5 or fewer? Would be similar with the Wideman situation where he served 19/20, then had the sentence reduced to 10.

Here, Kadri is missing some very important playoff games. NHL needs to fix their suspension/arbitration system.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:33 AM   #94
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Has already served 6 of his original 8 games. What if the arbitrator rules it should have been 5 or fewer? Would be similar with the Wideman situation where he served 19/20, then had the sentence reduced to 10.

Here, Kadri is missing some very important playoff games. NHL needs to fix their suspension/arbitration system.

Yeah. They should pause all games league wide until we definitively quantify not whether Kadri is a ####head, but precisely how much of a ####head Kadri is
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #95
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Dreger reporting the arbitrator has upheld the 8 game suspension.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Kadri 8 game suspension upheld. Source.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #96
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yeah. They should pause all games league wide until we definitively quantify not whether Kadri is a ####head, but precisely how much of a ####head Kadri is
The only alternative would be to stay the suspension while the appeal is on which is also hugely unsatisfactory. They do it in the CFL and inevitably the player who should be suspended ends up playing another game against the same team, and then the suspension gets upheld afterwards.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #97
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The only alternative would be to stay the suspension while the appeal is on which is also hugely unsatisfactory. They do it in the CFL and inevitably the player who should be suspended ends up playing another game against the same team, and then the suspension gets upheld afterwards.
and would be particularly tricky in the Finals (esp late in the series)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:53 AM   #98
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

To me that’s the risk you take as a player committing suspendable actions

The appeal process may take as long as the initial suspension. Players that don’t get suspended don’t have to worry about it

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:34 AM   #99
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Here is the Arbitrator's full ruling, if anyone wants to read:

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/pub...adriRuling.pdf

Quote:
It is clear that Mr. Kadri
continues to disregard the safety and wellbeing of opponents and has not adequately
received the message. I agree with the DPS
determination that a lengthy suspension
under these circumstances is necessary and
appropriate, and supported by clear and
convincing evidence.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #100
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect an arbitrator, once finding that the league has considered everything properly, isn’t going to quibble over a couple games difference anyway.