Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2021, 01:12 AM   #61
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
To me, that honestly looked like Kadri just mistimed a big open ice hit by a split second.

Either way, he popped his guy in the head, and you get suspended for that now. I think most people are ok with that.

But 8 playoff games seems like a pretty spicy suspension for what I saw.
If he didn't already do it multiple times than it would have been 2 games

its not just the one play
Old 05-24-2021, 03:09 AM   #62
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
What’s the point of asking about if it was something it wasn’t?
The point is that everything the NHL said to justify the 8 games was immaterial, as none of them would've made the hit illegal if he had contacted the shoulder.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:40 AM   #63
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
The point is that everything the NHL said to justify the 8 games was immaterial, as none of them would've made the hit illegal if he had contacted the shoulder.
So a repeat offender wouldn't get punished for not breaking the rules, but he does get punished for breaking them? How interesting.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:30 AM   #64
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
I mean, there's.... rules. This is... a rule.

Rule 48. Illegal Check to the Head

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head - A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principle point of contact is not permitted.
48.2 Minor Penalty - There is no provision for a minor penalty for this rule.
48.3 Major Penalty - For a violation of this rule, a major penalty shall be assessed (see 48.4).
48.4 Match Penalty - An automatic game misconduct penalty shall be assessed whenever a major penalty is assessed under this rule.
48.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.
48.6 Fines and Suspensions - Any player who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under this rule, in either regular League or playoff games, shall be suspended automatically for the next game his team plays. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.
If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

What year is it where you live Seb? 1978 or so?
Yup. And this must have been copied from before they added this bit to 48.1 (from the 20/21 book):
Quote:
In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:
(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.
(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.
(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.
Seems like it fits quite clearly to me.

Had he not broken the rules (which he obviously did), he wouldn’t have been suspended. Had he not recklessly broken the rules repeatedly, leading to multiple suspensions, he might have got the rest of that game and that’s it (does this need to be explained further?? Seriously?)
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:37 AM   #65
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
To me, that honestly looked like Kadri just mistimed a big open ice hit by a split second.

Either way, he popped his guy in the head, and you get suspended for that now. I think most people are ok with that.

“Mistiming” (“poor timing” in the rules) a hit and connecting with the head is also explicitly outlined as a physical foul.

Players are responsible for their bodies while on the ice, “intent to hit his head” does not apply and is irrelevant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2021, 08:14 AM   #66
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
So a repeat offender wouldn't get punished for not breaking the rules, but he does get punished for breaking them? How interesting.
Seems fishy to some here, obviously.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:59 AM   #67
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
Seems fishy to some here, obviously.
This sums up Kadris entire career:
Old 05-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #68
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Disagree; he mis-aimed it in a cowardly way. There was a big, clean hit to be made there torso to torso, but he shied away from feeling any of it himself.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:51 AM   #69
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

As mentioned, I think he’s talked his way into this suspension, in his previous suspensions. The hit on Debrusk was a lot worse.

But on that, he probably said that he meant to hit lower but Debrusk moved and nothing he could do. He probably used a similar argument here and gets no benefit of the doubt...as they do keep notes of previous comments. The “woe is me” argument may work once, it won’t work twice or thrice.

Goes to show he hasn’t learned his lesson as his intent is and has been malicious, and he’s trying to dupe the DOPS, so 8 games it is.
Good.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:54 PM   #70
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Nazem Kadri had his hearing today with commissioner Gary Bettman and there's no timetable for a decision as per the story on NHL.com.

I didn't see the hit at first but 8 games sounded like a lot in the playoffs and I wasn't surprised Kadri appealed it.

But after seeing the hit I think 8 games is okay and he maybe even got lucky it wasn't more. I just think that type of hit doesn't belong in the game anymore, guys are just to big and fast even if the hit is within the guidelines. It's a blindside hit.

Justin Faulk didn't play the last 2 games either and he probably has a concussion.

Maybe it will get reduced by a game or 2 but I also think this is Kadri's last chance, he's going to be gone for a while if it happens again.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:03 PM   #71
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Nazem Kadri had his hearing today with commissioner Gary Bettman and there's no timetable for a decision as per the story on NHL.com.

I didn't see the hit at first but 8 games sounded like a lot in the playoffs and I wasn't surprised Kadri appealed it.

But after seeing the hit I think 8 games is okay and he maybe even got lucky it wasn't more. I just think that type of hit doesn't belong in the game anymore, guys are just to big and fast even if the hit is within the guidelines. It's a blindside hit.

Justin Faulk didn't play the last 2 games either and he probably has a concussion.

Maybe it will get reduced by a game or 2 but I also think this is Kadri's last chance, he's going to be gone for a while if it happens again.
There are guys in the league that can hit still. Not a whole bunch though. They aren't repeatedly taking suspensions at this rate either.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:34 AM   #72
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Suspension upheld by Bettman. Can go to an arbitrator if Kadri chooses

https://twitter.com/user/status/1399403079481671683
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 10:36 AM   #73
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What kind of a POS would appeal? Kadri is lucky he didn't get more than 8.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:52 AM   #74
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
What kind of a POS would appeal? Kadri is lucky he didn't get more than 8.
This is a bad take. Everyone in his position would appeal. He will also go to the arbitrator. He has nothing to lose by doing this.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vansmack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 10:55 AM   #75
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's still true that he's lucky it's only 8 games, but yeah, the appeal is definitely a "might as well try" situation for him.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:58 AM   #76
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's still true that he's lucky it's only 8 games, but yeah, the appeal is definitely a "might as well try" situation for him.
There should be a risk of paying costs for a lost appeal, at the very least.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 11:01 AM   #77
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there should be, actually. I don't think you want to use the prospect of lost money alone to disincentivize third party oversight of a process that would otherwise be a unilateral exercise of league discretion, particularly when the league in question is so bad at it. That would either just disproportionately affect players who don't make as much (if the player bears the cost), or more likely, shift money out of the pockets of the NHLPA and into the pockets of the NHL.

I think what should happen is it should effectively be a hearing de novo - with the result that there's a risk that the arbitrator hands down a bigger suspension than what was originally put in place by the DOPS.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 11:13 AM   #78
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
There should be a risk of paying costs for a lost appeal, at the very least.
The appeal is filed by the NHLPA. It's not like this is tying up actual courts. As for the cost, Betttman earns a large salary to do his job, this is part of the job.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:58 AM   #79
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansmack View Post
This is a bad take. Everyone in his position would appeal. He will also go to the arbitrator. He has nothing to lose by doing this.
every suspension is appealed?

Gary should have waited a little longer for his verdict, let another few games pass
Old 05-31-2021, 12:27 PM   #80
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
every suspension is appealed?

Gary should have waited a little longer for his verdict, let another few games pass
Most suspensions are short enough and the appeal process takes so long that it's not really worth it to appeal. Even in this situation, if St Louis had forced the first round to 7 games, he'd already have served 6 games of the suspension so the appeal to an arbitrator would be virtually moot at this point. If it had happened in the regular season, he would also likely be 6 or 7 games into it by now.