Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2024, 12:30 PM   #6761
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a single join us yesterday. Young kid, told he was going to play from the tips. 7300 yards at sea level on a hard course

Turns out he is a high school senior, committed to a D1 school golf program next year on full scholarship. His Dad was with him, not playing but coaching him extensively before every shot. On hole two, I noticed he had a laptop on his cart that he was doing something with.

It was great playing with such a good golfer and they were both super polite. I just hope he has fun playing too. That seemed like work.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:12 PM   #6762
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
What a deal.
Sure makes our $75,000 membership look steep
That's nanton, though. Not a calgary course. It's pretty nice, but it's a solid 45 min - 1 hour drive from calgary depending where you live.

The membership savings aren't worth the grueling trip back and forth. Once and awhile it's nice to play, but as a member the 6+ hour days would get tiring.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 01:38 PM   #6763
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's nanton, though. Not a calgary course. It's pretty nice, but it's a solid 45 min - 1 hour drive from calgary depending where you live.

The membership savings aren't worth the grueling trip back and forth. Once and awhile it's nice to play, but as a member the 6+ hour days would get tiring.
Membership at Nanton is basically irrelevant for anyone north of okotoks. Not a bad course to play once a year though.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:48 PM   #6764
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Membership at Nanton is basically irrelevant for anyone north of okotoks. Not a bad course to play once a year though.
Yeah, I almost did it a few years ago when it was $800 for that under 39 membership. But ultimately I factored in the $600 - $700 in gas depending on how many rounds and the fatigue of making that drive 2 - 3 times a week and said no.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 02:41 PM   #6765
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

One of my golfing buddies lives in Deer Run (Calgary) and makes the trip to Nanton 5 days a week in the summer. That said it is a long drive each way for him.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:48 PM   #6766
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

825 km a week. Yikes!

I almost joined a club this year and it is 3 km away. Decided against it because I play too many vendor rounds. But that’s the type of commute I’m looking for when I do!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:59 PM   #6767
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
825 km a week. Yikes!

I almost joined a club this year and it is 3 km away. Decided against it because I play too many vendor rounds. But that’s the type of commute I’m looking for when I do!
He buys a beater to drive to and from the course each summer
Old 03-19-2024, 03:04 PM   #6768
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
825 km a week. Yikes!

I live a block away from the Highwood golf course. Their dues are over 3 grand a year and my dues in Nanton as a member are $1,400. Surprisingly a lot of Highwood members have left over the years to join Nanton for the cheaper dues.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:35 PM   #6769
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I live a block away from the Highwood golf course. Their dues are over 3 grand a year and my dues in Nanton as a member are $1,400. Surprisingly a lot of Highwood members have left over the years to join Nanton for the cheaper dues.
Yeah, I'd probably pick nanton over highwood if I lived in high river, too. The price is much lower for the 15 minute drive.

Although, highwood has done 2 for 1 memberships the last two seasons. You can only do it one season. But I think it was $1400 a person in the end.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:41 PM   #6770
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m a little torn on this. Some of my friends give me the gears for being a member at an out of town course. They think it’s too far to drive to, which I sort of understand. But then again, you’re driving to play golf. Like it’s not work, and I’m not sure how impactful it is for me. If I was a member at a city course (taking money and waiting lists out of the equation), does 15 minutes each way make a meaningful impact?

If I have a 4:30 tee time, I’m kind of either leaving at 3:30 or 3:45 to get there, hit a few and get to the tee. Not really a massive concern, IMO.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:11 PM   #6771
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would you use the practice facilities?
I think being close is nice if you will. Otherwise yeah, the commute time isn't as crazy.

The other nice thing about a course close to home is you can go out for an after work evening round easily and squeeze in 6-12 holes whenever you want.
I really like being to go out in thr summer at 7pm and still play 9.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 07:22 PM   #6772
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think being close is nice if you will. Otherwise yeah, the commute time isn't as crazy.

The other nice thing about a course close to home is you can go out for an after work evening round easily and squeeze in 6-12 holes whenever you want.
Agreed, going out and playing a random number of holes after work has always been the best part of a membership to me.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:32 PM   #6773
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or just hitting balls on a nice grass range. Especially great if you have kids and are teaching them the game.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:53 PM   #6774
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Had a single join us yesterday. Young kid, told he was going to play from the tips. 7300 yards at sea level on a hard course

Turns out he is a high school senior, committed to a D1 school golf program next year on full scholarship. His Dad was with him, not playing but coaching him extensively before every shot. On hole two, I noticed he had a laptop on his cart that he was doing something with.

It was great playing with such a good golfer and they were both super polite. I just hope he has fun playing too. That seemed like work.
Dad was probably entering data for Decade Golf, I'd guess. My son tried it for a bit, but data entry was too much work. He would have probably loved it if I was willing to enter everything as he played! Or could be preparing for a tournament an taking notes.

Coaching that much at that age/level seems weird. My son is a sophomore, and he's well beyond me giving him any useful coaching.

To try to play at a high level, there is going to be some work to be done at times, but plenty of time for fun on the course as well. From what I see, if the kid is doing it for themselves, then they enjoy the work and seeing the results, if not then getting into college through golf is pretty much the end game for them, and that's fine too if they end up somewhere they want to go.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 08:28 PM   #6775
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Taylormade are pretty good for warranty stuff. I had a friend get his Stealth 2 replaced with a new Qi10 even though the Stealth 2 was bought second hand.
My proshop reached out and unfortunately they'll only cover clubs up to 2 years old; my Sim Max was about 4 so SOL.
Really appreciate the advice though.

I picked up a lightly used Paradym Tripple Diamond instead; good excuse for a new toy I guess.

Got our club Hole in 1 Dinner this Friday and I'm 2 weeks out from my tee time at Kapalua-Plantation. Golf season is officially in full swing!
Old 03-20-2024, 06:01 AM   #6776
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

I've used the Highwood practice facilities from time to time. To work on my putting or chipping onto the green.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:58 AM   #6777
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a good local place to get custom logo balls or should I just do it online either with Vice or one of major golf brands?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:40 PM   #6778
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Is there a good local place to get custom logo balls or should I just do it online either with Vice or one of major golf brands?
Haven't done it myself, but Golftown does this:
https://customgolfballs.golftown.com/home
Old 03-20-2024, 01:30 PM   #6779
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Haven't done it myself, but Golftown does this:
https://customgolfballs.golftown.com/home
Minimum 12 dozen at Golf Town though. I just need a small order of two dozen, maybe three.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 01:59 PM   #6780
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Minimum 12 dozen at Golf Town though. I just need a small order of two dozen, maybe three.
https://golf.cottoncandy.ca/

Try here. Not sure if there is a minimum order qty?
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow