Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
jolinar of malkshor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Why do I have to keep resetting my wireless router?

Lately my wireless router keeps dropping my internet. My computers can still see the wireless signal but cannot connect to the router. I have to go turn it off and then turn it back on and it will work again.

Some times it will go for days without this problem and then all of a sudden I have to reset it 4 times in 1 day.

Does anyone know why it does this?
jolinar of malkshor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're on Telus, mine was rebooting itself every 2 mins for about an hour this morning.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps your neighbours are "borrowing" your internet.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sucks?

edit: to clarify, i meant it probably needs to be replaced.

Last edited by Rathji; 02-19-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Ive had the same problem since Thursday, and Im with Shaw...

Maybe it was that solar flare thing from Tuesday? :P
Old 02-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had that problem on going for a month before I got fed up and threw it in the garbage. The new one hasnt given us any problems since.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
jolinar of malkshor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for the feed back guys. I am with Telus. Maybe I should go buy a new one and see if it keeps happening.
jolinar of malkshor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This is the sign of a dying router.
NiklasSundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd try upgrading the firmware to the most current version, if you already haven't.
Mad Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has been happening on and off with me on my BT Internet router in the UK and has been driving me nuts. However for the past few days it has been fine. I reckon it is something to do with my phoneline as I'm on my second router now.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:23 AM   #11
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

with all electronics, the first thing I'd check out is if it is overheating. since I nailed my router on the wall, it seems happy and no longer needs to be re-booted.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

its funny that i hadn't considered anything odd until i saw this thread.

i have a cisco router and i am on shaw, and recently i have had the wireless connection hold, but the internet drops. in other words...my internal network devices can be seen but they cannot get out.

i have taken to disconnecting and then reconnection...and that seems to work. the funny thing is that i haven't had to do that for a day or so...after doing it for a couple of days in a row.

odd behaviour for sure.

some really good advice in this thread; i'll be keeping an eye on it.

maybe the sun is mad because of superman: allstar.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Too much datas in your tubes.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Too much datas in your tubes.
Ironically, this can actually be an issue. The router needs to maintain a table in memory that links external connections to the internal hosts that have initiated or accepted them (the NAT translation table). If you exceed the capacity of the router to track all the entries required in this table, you can see all kinds of weird issues, such as dropped connections, inability to make additional new connections, router crashes, etc.

Torrents and game server browsers are two examples of applications that generate a huge number of NAT translation table entries. Multiple hosts inside the home network all using torrent or game browser software could overload the NAT translation table and cause the issues described. Malware could also exhibit this behavior as it tries to "reach out and touch someone"

I don't know which modern routers might be affected by this - its not really a stat that home router manufacturers advertise.

I think in this case, its cheap components in the router overheating or having failed, but if the issue only exists when multiple machines are active, it might be worth investigating.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #15
Serapth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Added any new devices to your house lately? I found in the past that Apple products were chatty as hell. When I got an iPhone and my wife an iPad, both on wifi, we had to reboot the router ever day or two.

Another big problem is people *attempting* to connect. If you are in a seriously built up area, make your SID private and see if that makes the problem go away. If you havent secured the router, first go smash your head off a wall, then go back and secure your router.
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Serapth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #16
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Ironically, this can actually be an issue. The router needs to maintain a table in memory that links external connections to the internal hosts that have initiated or accepted them (the NAT translation table). If you exceed the capacity of the router to track all the entries required in this table, you can see all kinds of weird issues, such as dropped connections, inability to make additional new connections, router crashes, etc.

Torrents and game server browsers are two examples of applications that generate a huge number of NAT translation table entries. Multiple hosts inside the home network all using torrent or game browser software could overload the NAT translation table and cause the issues described. Malware could also exhibit this behavior as it tries to "reach out and touch someone"

I don't know which modern routers might be affected by this - its not really a stat that home router manufacturers advertise.

I think in this case, its cheap components in the router overheating or having failed, but if the issue only exists when multiple machines are active, it might be worth investigating.
Jerk! Good to know though.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

k guys, this is an easy fix for most of you.

Log into the router (192.168.1.1 for most linksys routers), and the 'Channel' is defaulted to AUTO. Just change this to a numbered channel. (Just change it to channel 5, or 7, or 9).

The issue is usually do to conflicting routers, and when networks conflict, it often results in the router getting confused and not broadcasting an internet connection. What I have told you as a solution above solves the problem 90% of the time.

Love,
your local TSR.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
k guys, this is an easy fix for most of you.

Log into the router (192.168.1.1 for most linksys routers), and the 'Channel' is defaulted to AUTO. Just change this to a numbered channel. (Just change it to channel 5, or 7, or 9).

The issue is usually do to conflicting routers, and when networks conflict, it often results in the router getting confused and not broadcasting an internet connection. What I have told you as a solution above solves the problem 90% of the time.

Love,
your local TSR.
1,6,11 are the non-overlapping channels on 802.11b/g routers, and would be better choices for trying a statically assigned channel (1 and 11 in particular, as lots of routers default to 6 in my experience)