Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #2741
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Any suggestions on a YYC-SYD flight that departs end of Sept, returns end of Oct?

I'm having trouble finding any kind of decent seat price for business class on the North America-Australia leg of the travel. United is $19k......wtf
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #2742
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Any suggestions on a YYC-SYD flight that departs end of Sept, returns end of Oct?

I'm having trouble finding any kind of decent seat price for business class on the North America-Australia leg of the travel. United is $19k......wtf
Seems like the bottom for business class is in the range of $6500ish...

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#/YYC-S...xible/business

Bottom for economy is in the range of $1400ish

http://www.kayak.com/flights#/YYC-SY...-26/2012-10-31

About $150/hour for the extra comfort!

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #2743
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Paris, France - $698 roundtrip after taxes

Air Transat's September 16 - October 1 flight from Calgary to Paris just dropped to $698 roundtrip after taxes.

Can find it on http://www.airtransat.ca

screenshot of verified price:

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #2744
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The end of season clearance madness from Air Transat continues. They just dropped Calgary to Amsterdam down to $598 roundtrip after taxes! Try October 5 - 13 on AirTransat.ca

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #2745
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would like to book 12 flights (plus a baby on my lap) to Hawaii leaving sometime between July 20 and returning by August 19. We'd like to stay about a week.

Any advice on when the best time to book would be and how to go about getting the best price?
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #2746
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Charter company Enerjet is offering a flight over Thanksgiving weekend from Calgary to Vancouver for $317 roundtrip after taxes.

That's about 20% lower than Westjet's current price, and 50% lower than Air Canada's current price.

http://www.enerjet.ca/readarticle.php?id=37

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #2747
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If anyone is up for a last-minute deal, the flight from Calgary to Sydney, Australia on aircanada.com is only $1566 right now, everything included. That's pretty damn good. I wish they had that deal in January, but that's their peak tourist season, so no dice.

Departures are until Sept. 21. Deal is only up for 5 more days.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #2748
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If anyone is up for a last-minute deal, the flight from Calgary to Sydney, Australia on aircanada.com is only $1566 right now, everything included. That's pretty damn good. I wish they had that deal in January, but that's their peak tourist season, so no dice.

Departures are until Sept. 21. Deal is only up for 5 more days.
I think there might be something a little screwy with their promo (pretty common for Air Canada). It claims there are flights for $1566 after taxes, but when you actually go to choose the eligible dates and try to book, the price usually shows as around $2500 roundtrip after taxes.

$1900ish after tax seems to be the cheapest that's actually bookable. Were you able to find any that were bookable at $1566?

There does look to be fares for $1500ish after tax using a combo of United and Air New Zealand through San Francisco though...

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#/YYC-S...10-17-flexible

^^^ click through to Orbitz.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #2749
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
I would like to book 12 flights (plus a baby on my lap) to Hawaii leaving sometime between July 20 and returning by August 19. We'd like to stay about a week.

Any advice on when the best time to book would be and how to go about getting the best price?
Just keep an eye on 3 day flexible date searches to Honolulu to get an idea of the current bottom fares...

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#/YYC-H...07-31-flexible

Can usually safely watch up to about 8 weeks before departure in hopes of something better. Typical bottom to Honolulu is about $500-$550ish roundtrip after taxes. Wouldn't be typical for it to drop this far before departure, but you just never know in the world of airfares.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #2750
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know where to look up train schedules from Frankfurt to Vienna?

Of course Lufthansa flight attendants are on strike on Friday for 24 hours so I need to make other arrangements to get to Vienna.

Our flight arrives in FRA at 11.15 on Friday
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #2751
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post

Of course Lufthansa flight attendants are on strike on Friday for 24 hours so I need to make other arrangements to get to Vienna.

I've been looking here for trains from Munich to Zurich. Might be able to find what you need here. http://www.eurail.com/trains-europe/high-speed-trains
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #2752
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I usually use DB Bahn to search train schedules in Europe:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...rotocol=http:&

Old 09-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #2753
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, so now we are instead routed to London then Vienna with a 9 hour layover in London. Now I need to figure out what to do in London for 9 hours
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #2754
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, so now we are instead routed to London then Vienna with a 9 hour layover in London. Now I need to figure out what to do in London for 9 hours
http://www.inspireddiversions.com/ar...ET=1&id_art=84

Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #2755
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chris, Looking for something YYC to anywhere in Europe (London, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt etc) for three weeks in October. Where is the best place to look for that? Doesn't even have to in and out of the same airport.

Thanks
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #2756
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

As I'm looking for flights to the Cook Islands, I came across this great deal with Air New Zealand:

http://www.airnewzealand.ca/best-pri...e-cook-islands

I checked the price for Calgary, and after tax and everything, it was $1142 to fly to the Cook Islands for two weeks. The only catch is that it's next May.

So anyone wanting to plan a cool getaway for a really good price to a tropical Island country, this is pretty darn good for where you'd be going.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #2757
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As this is travel related i was hoping someone could offer some advice...

Am in Vegas on business and i just started to get a very sore throat. Swolen glands kicked in today. Worried it may be strep...

Never had to deal with anything medical in the states before.

Anyone have experience with this?

As a Canadian can I go to a walk in clinic? Or will I get gouged?

I have a good policy for health insurance through my bank (Royal)... should I call them and ask for advice?

This has been a great thread for travel advice and thought i'd check if anyone has dealt with this before. Any advice would be appreciated.
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #2758
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ We had this happen a few years ago -- while driving through Oregon a semi-urgent medical emergency came up. Went to a walk-in clinic and was treated and given a referral to a private hospital. Had to pay afterwards (I think it was a couple hundred bucks?) and then went to the hospital for an ultrasound. Had to go through a "billing" department before they would provide any treatment; we provided our insurance details and they were satisfied we had coverage. Fortunately, everything was okay at the end of the day. Ended up having to submit a receipt for reimbursement for the clinic visit; can't recall what happened with the hospital visit.

Certainly won't hurt to contact your bank/insurance -- that's why they're there! You'll have to report it to them anyways (if you want to submit a claim) so might as well get them involved early in the process.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #2759
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Chris, Looking for something YYC to anywhere in Europe (London, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt etc) for three weeks in October. Where is the best place to look for that? Doesn't even have to in and out of the same airport.

Thanks
Air Transat is definitely the best bet, they should be starting to offer some mid to late October discounts shortly. There's already been some drops to Paris and Frankfurt for late September, early October.

May also want to have a look at Condor into Frankfurt, although I think their flights end sometime in October.

KLM could be worth a look as well, they had a Pack & Go sale to Europe recently for fall travel.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #2760
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Chris! Condor is $732 to Frankfurt right now, which isn't so bad.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote