Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2022, 09:00 PM   #41
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Sponsors bail, so do you think players will boycott Hockey Canada and decline national team call-ups as well?
It's possible.

Perhaps an agency pulling its teenage clients rather than individual players doing it of their own accord.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:26 AM   #42
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
CIBC will jump in all over this. I don't know why, but almost everyone I've met at CIBC has been horrible, with a few exceptions. I'm pretty sure the janitors have to have unconvicted murder charge on their resume as a requirement, and it just gets worse as it snakes up through the company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
So true, I have heard nothing but bad things about cibc, employees ive met at other banks that worked for cibc have said its horrible there, from many different positions.
CIBC did… something… to my late father in about 1946, when he was a starving student at UBC. He would not do business with them ever again until his death in 2014. By the time I asked him about it, he could not remember what they actually did, but he was still angry about it.

That bank does seem to have a talent for making enemies.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:50 AM   #43
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Serious question.

What exactly is it that Hockey Canada is supposed to do differently?

What are Scotia Banks expectations?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:08 AM   #44
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You are going to see sponsorship from businesses in general dry up across all sports.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:16 AM   #45
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Serious question.

Not sure really. Culture doesn't change overnight. Maybe some heads need to roll, committees formed to monitor incidents, whistleblower protection policies, etc.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:19 AM   #46
Chewy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Corporations withholding money and cancelling sponsorship money is easy.

Are NHL fans and specifically Calgary Flames fans willing to stop watching tv and going to games until more answers are given. Specifically cooperating with investigators. Unfortunately due to the criminality of incident it will get hard to make people to speak.

The Flames organization have two people involved (if they attended event) Dillon Dube and Jake Bean’s Father (John Bean President & CEO).
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:20 AM   #47
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Serious question.

I can't speak for Hockey Canada or Scotiabank, but I would like to see some accountability for previous actions and education to avoid future incidents. Clearly they aren't doing enough.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:33 AM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Corporations withholding money and cancelling sponsorship money is easy.

Are NHL fans and specifically Calgary Flames fans willing to stop watching tv and going to games until more answers are given. Specifically cooperating with investigators. Unfortunately due to the criminality of incident it will get hard to make people to speak.

The Flames organization have two people involved (if they attended event) Dillon Dube and Jake Bean’s Father (John Bean President & CEO).
Why exactly would Flames fans stop watching Flames games? This was a non-Flames incident and what exactly do you think they can do? They can't tear up Dube's contract just because he was on that team nor should they as guilty until proved innocent is not the way things work and the NHLPA would step in regardless. This is the part of today's culture that sucks. People just make assumptions and want blood.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-30-2022 at 07:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 08:13 AM   #49
Chewy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why exactly would Flames fans stop watching Flames games? This was a non-Flames incident and what exactly do you think they can do? They can't tear up Dube's contract just because he was on that team nor should they as guilty until proved innocent is not the way things work and the NHLPA would step in regardless. This is the part of today's culture that sucks. People just make assumptions and want blood.

This story will be forgotten by training camp.

Are you fine with current NHL players that attended, not making any comments on the 2018 Hockey Canada gala?
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:35 AM   #50
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Cut the funding, kill Hockey Canada and just send the team leading the CHL at the Xmas break to the tourney.
Why would we kill the organization that runs minor hockey in Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Sponsors bail, so do you think players will boycott Hockey Canada and decline national team call-ups as well?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:39 AM   #51
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are you fine with current NHL players that attended, not making any comments on the 2018 Hockey Canada gala?
I'm fine with any player following the advice of his lawyer. Not every single player on that team was involved so why would you think that every single player was a witness and has something to say?
Old 06-30-2022, 12:27 PM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Why would we kill the organization that runs minor hockey in Canada?
Something else would take over, just like when Red Cross got tanked after class actions over HIV and Canada Blood Services arose.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:21 PM   #53
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, I don't see that happening.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:23 PM   #54
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

If someone did something illegal charge them. If no one did then don’t.

Sounds like it was settled out of court with a NDA. So can’t see anything coming out of the saber rattling.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:27 PM   #55
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Serious question.

Scotiabank only cares about ROI on their investment. They want hockey Canada to clean up their image so that Scotia can continue to associate with a winning institution. Scotia doesn’t give a #### about sexual assault victims.

HC will do what all corporations do that face this kind of scandal. They’ll do an independent audit, institute new guidelines for reporting, add a bunch of sensitivity training etc. None of it will be designed to be effective, that’s not the point. All that matters is that it turns the tide in the PR battle.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:09 AM   #56
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Scotiabank only cares about ROI on their investment. They want hockey Canada to clean up their image so that Scotia can continue to associate with a winning institution. Scotia doesn’t give a #### about sexual assault victims.

HC will do what all corporations do that face this kind of scandal. They’ll do an independent audit, institute new guidelines for reporting, add a bunch of sensitivity training etc. None of it will be designed to be effective, that’s not the point. All that matters is that it turns the tide in the PR battle.
ROI is obviously a major driver but Scotiabank and all similar companies strongly value and actively pursue a positive track record for ESG. They have to be able to check certain ESG boxes and backup claims of being a "good" company. It is becoming increasingly tough to grow if you can't make consumers or clients believe that you care about things outside of revenue and profits.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:58 AM   #57
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

With all due respect I disagree completely. Full disclosure I work for Scotiabank, and can tell you the banks culture and values do not live and die by profits. Part of the reason I work here is that they promote a vast number of internal programs for diversity, allyship, mental health, inclusion and safe spaces for its employees

But sure talk ####
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:54 PM   #58
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
With all due respect I disagree completely. Full disclosure I work for Scotiabank, and can tell you the banks culture and values do not live and die by profits. Part of the reason I work here is that they promote a vast number of internal programs for diversity, allyship, mental health, inclusion and safe spaces for its employees

But sure talk ####
Thankfully an unbiased 3rd party with no vested interest can set the record straight
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #59
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need to get Hockey Canada sponsored by FIFA...then all the shackles are off!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:19 AM   #60
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

What's the victim's say in this? She's settled and doesn't want it to go further? Thus the NDA? Or was she threatened by Hockey Canada?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote