Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2022, 07:01 PM   #321
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't think this bill is really getting people up in arms.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, but I haven't heard much if any talk about it in my day to day life.
People also didn't give a crap about inflation last year because they weren't seeing the effect, they were more worried about the anti-vaxxers. People in generally are only reactive to stuff when they are directly impacted.

Now that #### has hit the fan with inflation and the sky is falling, people are in a panic about cost of living and losing their shirt.

Which is precisely why Liberals pushing so hard on this at such a time of crisis which is all about punishing, censoring and regulating is asinine and self serving.

People will notice it when they realize half their podcasts are closed, but it will be too late, much like how it's too late to deal with inflation properly. This won't nearly have a day to day impact, but it will be felt a lot more then people realize.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 07:03 PM   #322
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
People also didn't give a crap about inflation last year because they weren't seeing the effect, they were more worried about the anti-vaxxers. People in generally are only reactive to stuff when they are directly impacted.

Now that #### has hit the fan with inflation and the sky is falling, people are in a panic about cost of living and losing their shirt.

Which is precisely why Liberals pushing so hard on this at such a time of crisis which is all about punishing, censoring and regulating is asinine and self serving.

People will notice it when they realize half their podcasts are closed, but it will be too late, much like how it's too late to deal with inflation properly. This won't nearly have a day to day impact, but it will be felt a lot more then people realize.
I think it's more that people realized that inflation is a global problem and there's very little the government here can do about it than it is that we weren't worried about it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 07:10 PM   #323
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't think this bill is really getting people up in arms.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, but I haven't heard much if any talk about it in my day to day life.
This bill is getting lost in the fray. This is what I was trying to get at and maybe wasn't articulating very well in a previous post about how our opposition parties are blanket opposed to anything and everything the party in government does that any relevant messaging about real, substantial problems gets lost in the fray. Nominally that's how our Westminster parliamentary system is "supposed" to work: the opposition is adversarial toward the government and out of this adversarial relationship the faults of the government's bills are debated and resolved and ideally "better" policy is passed into law.

In reality the opposition makes mountains out of everything let alone just molehills and as such their sometimes justifiable complaints go unnoticed. We the people are told everything the government does is terrible, whether it's actually reasonable policy or actually terrible policy, and in a sad sort of "boy-who-cried-wolf" situation a huge chunk of us tune out and don't really care.

Sadly the government uses as much parliamentary "privilege" as possible to pass things through without debate at all, whether it's reasonable policy or terrible policy, but especially when it's terrible policy. As a result of ineffectual opposition and government using (abusing?) its authority to its fullest extent we get crappy governance. Hooray!

Bill C-11 is lost in the fray because it's nominally a boring bill about making Netflix and the like comply with existing CanCon and other broadcast regulations but it's worded so confusingly and poorly it could also be interpreted to apply to small-time "content creators" on services such as Tiktok, YouTube, Twitch and such. They've tried to distinguish between the "tech giants" the government is nominally targetting and the small potatoes people making cat videos on YouTube by evaluating on an entirely undefined rubric that considers how much revenue the content creators make, whether any of it gets rebroadcast on a "traditional" medium (e.g. a podcast rebroadcast on radio, or a YouTube show rebroadcast on TV), and whether "a program has been assigned a unique identifier under an international standards system". This is so preposterously broad that a lot of people are trying to ring alarm bells that these clauses meant to exclude small-time streamers and such don't actually exclude them at all, and these little individual contributors would still become broadcasters falling under the purview of the CRTC licensing system despite the government's insistence that it's not their intent. Instead of fixing the bill they apparently won't listen and are trying to ram it through anyway.

It's a dumb bill that the Liberals haven't taken enough care to really hone into what they want it to be, and are pigheadedly pushing through no matter what, and the Conservatives are so bad at communicating the risks of passing this bill without further amendment and fine-tuning that... frankly most people don't know what it is and don't really give a ####. (Pretty much just what the Liberals would prefer about everything they bumble their way through doing in government.)

Last edited by timun; 06-16-2022 at 07:13 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 08:11 PM   #324
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

If it actually gets passed, I would be surprised if C-11 has a noticeable impact on the average person in any way. Perhaps we’ll get even more CBC originals on every single streaming platform. More wonderful ways to rewatch Schitt’s Creek. How lucky are we?

Just nice to know neither the Liberals nor the Conservatives have yet to secure a monopoly on conjuring boogeymen out of thin air.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:11 AM   #325
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Do any of you guys work or are you on CalgaryPuck all day?
I am getting paid by the illuminati to spread misinformation all day.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2022, 10:33 AM   #326
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am getting paid by the illuminati to spread misinformation all day.
Not if you keep blabbing about it!

Thats going on your performance review.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 05:41 PM   #327
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

New testimony from the Halifax mass shooting inquiry that's pretty damning.

Quote:
CMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki “made a promise” to Public Safety Minister Bill Blair and the Prime Minister’s Office to leverage the mass murders of April 18/19, 2020 to get a gun control law passed.

A week after the murders, Lucki pressured RCMP in Nova Scotia to release details of the weapons used by the killer. But RCMP commanders in Nova Scotia refused to release such details, saying doing so would threaten their investigation into the murders.

The Trudeau government’s gun control objectives were spelled out in an order in council issued in May 2020, and were encapsulated in Bill C-21, which was tabled last month, but the concern in April 2020 was the extent to which politics threatened to interfere with a cross-border police investigation into how the killer managed to obtain and smuggle into Canada four illegal guns used to commit many of the 22 murders.

The RCMP subsequently learned the killer paid a man named Neil Gallivan to purchase one assault-style rifle at a 2019 gun show in Houlton, Maine. The killer also obtained two illegal handguns from a close friend and collector named Sean Conlogue.

Quote:
n the firearms question, Campbell told journalists he “couldn’t get into details… because the investigation is still active and ongoing,” except to confirm the gunman had several semi-automatic handguns and two semi-automatic rifles.

Shortly after the news conference Campbell, Asst. Commander Lee Bergerman, Leather, and Nova Scotia Communications director Lia Scanlan were summoned to a meeting. RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki and a deputy from Ottawa were on the conference call. Lucki was not happy.

Campbell’s handwritten notes made immediately following that meeting describe what happened:

The Commissioner was obviously upset. She did not raise her voice but her choice of words was indicative of her overall dissatisfaction with our work. The Commissioner accused us (me) of disrespecting her by not following her instructions. I was and remain confused over this. The Commissioner said she told Comms to tell us at H Division to include specific info about the firearms used by [the killer]….However I said we couldn’t because to do so would jeopardize ongoing efforts to advance the U.S. side of the case as well as the Canadian components of the investigation. Those are facts and I stand by them.

Campbell noted that Lucki went on at length and said she was “sad and disappointed” that he had not provided these details to the media. Campbell continued:

The Commissioner said she had promised the Minister of Public Safety and the Prime Minister’s Office that the RCMP (we) would release this information. I tried to explain there was no intent to disrespect anyone however we could not release this information at this time. The Commissioner then said that we didn’t understand, that this was tied to pending gun control legislation that would make officers and the public safer. She was very upset and at one point Deputy Commissioner (Brian) Brennan tried to get things calmed down but that had little effect. Some in the room were reduced to tears and emotional over this belittling reprimand.
Quote:
ather had been told one hour before the briefing there were at least 15 confirmed victims at 15 crime scenes, with the possibility of more. Many who watched the live briefing observed the RCMP officer appeared like a deer caught in headlights.

But Nova Scotia ‘H’Division did not have control of the message.

Contravening the agreed protocol, throughout the early hours of Sunday evening, RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki agreed to a number of one-on-one interviews with reporters. At 7:36pm, CBC News quoted Lucki as stating there were 13 victims; at 7: 40pm, CTV reported Lucki had said 14 victims; and at 7:56pm, the Canadian Press quoted Lucki as having confirmed 17 dead, including the gunman.

The public and the press corps were both confused and alarmed.

“So how does it happen that Commissioner Lucki….?”, MCC lawyer Krista Smith started to ask Communications director Lia Scanlan during an interview last February.

“I don’t know, ask National Headquarters,” retorted Scanlan.“The commissioner releases a body count that we (Communications) don’t even have. She went out and did that. It was all political pressure. That is 100% Minister Blair and the Prime Minister. And we have a Commissioner that does not push back.”

At 10:21 Sunday night, Lia Scanlan emailed Sharon Tessier, the senior communications manager at RCMP National Headquarter, and two colleagues asking them to speak to Lucki about releasing victim information:

Can I make a request that we stop changing the number of victims. Please allow us to lead the release of information. It looks fragmented and inconsistent. I spoke with the Commanding Officer tonight and we will be updating this tomorrow.

We knew at the time of the press event it was more than 10 (victims) but that is what we came to ground on for the event. That is our plan tomorrow, to update as our members continue their jobs and discover more crime scenes and bodies. The changes in number are causing our phones to ring off the hook…

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:59 PM   #328
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

What a great government we have. Who voted for these fools?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1539274194340392960
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:03 PM   #329
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
New testimony from the Halifax mass shooting inquiry that's pretty damning.
Link?

And also - the Canadian police and their 'we can't release any information due to it being an ongoing investigation' policy is absurd. I won't speak to this case in particular. But they fall back on this all the time. There is a distinct lack of public information in Canadian cases that is ridiculous.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:11 PM   #330
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a link to one story about this. I’d imagine there will be more stories tomorrow.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-shooting.html

Nice to see the PMO’s office is willing to use the deaths of ordinary Canadians as political grease.

This is a guy that was favoured by Atlantic canda so I guess I am in the wrong on this.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:41 PM   #331
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Here is a link to one story about this. I’d imagine there will be more stories tomorrow.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-shooting.html

Nice to see the PMO’s office is willing to use the deaths of ordinary Canadians as political grease.

This is a guy that was favoured by Atlantic canda so I guess I am in the wrong on this.
There is nothing this government wouldn’t do for a vote. Absolutely sickening. But not surprising.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:27 AM   #332
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1539568818040832000
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:32 AM   #333
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ with any luck he will take a walk in the snow soon.

Although at this point one has to wonder if him leaving and a new leader being installed would change the current culture that seems to have gripped this mob, or they they need a real beat down from the voters to sort out the deadwood and duds and we can start this cycle again
Old 06-22-2022, 10:45 AM   #334
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Serious question, who will the UCP run to replace him? Crypto guy? Trump Lady? Pat King?
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 10:47 AM   #335
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ with any luck he will take a walk in the snow soon.

Although at this point one has to wonder if him leaving and a new leader being installed would change the current culture that seems to have gripped this mob, or they they need a real beat down from the voters to sort out the deadwood and duds and we can start this cycle again

I don't know who they can bring in as a Leader that's not contaminated by Justin. Freeland certainly hasn't been great in her role, and she's heavily contaminated by the whole thing. It also doesn't help that massive amounts of dollars are missing or mis allocated. There was a story the other day about 800 million in spending for Mental Health that has just kind of vanished. Let alone the infrastructure spending that vanished under McKenna's watch.

Mark Carney maybe, but he's become a one trick pony in his positioning.

I mean who knows, I'm voting for the Rhino party, and I hope you all join me in that because no matter what party we vote for we're getting the same old poop show, dishonesty, incompetence, arrogance, no change.

At least if we get a surprise Rhino party we know that we're going to get sheer incompetence.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:48 AM   #336
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Serious question, who will the UCP run to replace him? Crypto guy? Trump Lady? Pat King?

Who knows, I keep hoping that we get the leadership convention and Rona Ambrose marches in and stages a coupe.

The whole governance of this country feels hopeless.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #337
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Why would anyone in their right mind even want to run our country? We are a complete joke.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #338
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Charest would probably have the best chance, since he seems to be the only one not tripping over himself to appeal to the farthest right reaches of voters. He'd pull in good support in Quebec, and probably appeal to enough Ontarians to win fairly comfortably. The problem is the CPC can't help but make horrible decisions that alienate themselves to the majority of Canadians, and woudl rather lose loudly than put aside their stupidity.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 10:58 AM   #339
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Charest would probably have the best chance, since he seems to be the only one not tripping over himself to appeal to the farthest right reaches of voters. He'd pull in good support in Quebec, and probably appeal to enough Ontarians to win fairly comfortably. The problem is the CPC can't help but make horrible decisions that alienate themselves to the majority of Canadians, and woudl rather lose loudly than put aside their stupidity.

I was personally expecting way more from Charest in this whole leadership thing. To say that his campaign has been un impressive isn't an understatment. He's going to lose on PP ground game alone.

But we all know what happens in these stupid leadership campaigns. The two front runners, batter each other and gain their supporters and then someone sneaks up the middle to take it like Scheer and O'toole. I expect if we ever get a Liberal leadership campaign, it will be split between Trudeauites, and Blue Liberals and some janitor will accidentally sneak up the middle.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:06 AM   #340
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not sure the CPC is making any decisions, it's a membership selling/buying/bribing contest.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote