Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2022, 12:10 AM   #61
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that there’s a non-zero chance that Toronto, suns, and Brooklyn are working out a 3-way trade that sees Ayton to Toronto, Durant to Suns, and OG draft picks, and another Suns player to the Nets.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:15 AM   #62
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a side note, came across Barnes by himself yesterday at Toronto Pearson. Not as imposing size wise as I'd think.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:31 AM   #63
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

The thought of seeing Scottie and KD play together is tempting but I doubt the Nets will accept any deal that doesn’t involve Scottie
Old 07-02-2022, 10:41 AM   #64
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
The thought of seeing Scottie and KD play together is tempting but I doubt the Nets will accept any deal that doesn’t involve Scottie
Sounds like there isn't the market the nets want. Not sure they have a choice other than keep Durant. Which won't happen.

I bet when Woj says "lurking" when it comes to the Raptors on Durant, they're waiting for this exact scenario where there not many buyers and the ask softens.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:09 PM   #65
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it comes down to if you think the Raptors can win it all with KD, FVV and Spicy. If they can win a championship with that group, it'll still be worth it even if Barnes starts getting MVP discussion in 3 years or so.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:20 PM   #66
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Sounds like there isn't the market the nets want. Not sure they have a choice other than keep Durant. Which won't happen.

I bet when Woj says "lurking" when it comes to the Raptors on Durant, they're waiting for this exact scenario where there not many buyers and the ask softens.
How can NBA teams justify the rumoured prices out there? Rights to seven future firsts plus players and Scottie? Unless a guy is young and in his prime how can this be justified? I don’t like that type of deal at all. Here’s a deal I would be that seems reasonable. OG, Siakam, 2 first round picks in the next three years.

Teams can’t deal everything they currently have including their future picks. Look at the dire state it puts LA or Philly in into the future (along with other teams). It can ruin a franchise by mortgaging everything. You’d have to think Masai is smarter than that. You’d also think other GMs and owners are looking at previous situations and wondering if the risk is worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #67
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Seeing the crazy amount that Gobert just got, KD is probably gonna take a equally absurd package to get him
Old 07-02-2022, 03:49 PM   #68
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I guess it comes down to if you think the Raptors can win it all with KD, FVV and Spicy. If they can win a championship with that group, it'll still be worth it even if Barnes starts getting MVP discussion in 3 years or so.
That's a huuuuge gamble though. Durant is 34 and has a history of major injuries. I wouldn't trade Barnes. He could be a megastar for the Raptors for the next 15 years; trading him away for a declining superstar is not something I would do. No way.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:43 PM   #69
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
That's a huuuuge gamble though. Durant is 34 and has a history of major injuries. I wouldn't trade Barnes. He could be a megastar for the Raptors for the next 15 years; trading him away for a declining superstar is not something I would do. No way.
Totally get that line of thinking. I'm guessing Barnes becomes a top level star and not a megastar, and even then I don't think I'd include him in a deal for KD.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 07:29 PM   #70
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Totally get that line of thinking. I'm guessing Barnes becomes a top level star and not a megastar, and even then I don't think I'd include him in a deal for KD.

I look at him as a Dwight Howard type player with more range. Totally get the top level star vs. Megastar feel. We'll see as he develops if his dribbling and shot improves, but I would not be dealing him for a 34 year old.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:24 AM   #71
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

One element of Barnes' potential value is just how much player relationships matter in the NBA, and Barnes is just exceptionally charismatic in a way that no Raptors players have ever been. He has potential to be that guy that other players in his generation will give up money to play alongside, if it's an established winning program. For me, Barnes' long-term isn't just about his value as a player (which is huge, though probably not MVP level), it's his value as a face of the franchise.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 10:32 AM   #72
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1543628565056471041
Old 07-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #73
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barnes is untouchable.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:27 PM   #74
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
One element of Barnes' potential value is just how much player relationships matter in the NBA, and Barnes is just exceptionally charismatic in a way that no Raptors players have ever been. He has potential to be that guy that other players in his generation will give up money to play alongside, if it's an established winning program. For me, Barnes' long-term isn't just about his value as a player (which is huge, though probably not MVP level), it's his value as a face of the franchise.

Great points. Agree completely. I'm sure he's open minded enough to like the city for what it is despite growing up in the States. You never say never when it comes to dealing any player, but I don't think an older, less durable Durant is the deal they should be pursuing if the cost is Barnes. Giannis, if available would make sense, but I'm fairly confident in a few years Barnes value should be even higher. The second and third years for rookies really shows what type of player they'll become.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:23 PM   #75
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Obviously trading Scottie is a nogo for me but other than that I hope they make a huge push for KD even if it means giving up guys like OG, GTJ, Precious, Banton, etc.. The roster as it currently stands is in a tough spot where it's unlikely to become a true championship contender unless Scottie becomes a 1a sooner than later. Acquiring someone like Durant puts you back in win now contender mode for the next 2-3 seasons and allows you to blow it up at the conclusion of his contract and begin a fresh rebuild around Barnes if he is willing to extend longterm. I am a big fan of the clarity a move like this would bring for the franchise.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:49 PM   #76
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reports are Siakim , OG, and picks would be the package Raptors could put forward

Most US networks think the Raptors can put together the best package on the market if they choose too

Will be a question if Durant will play here and if Raptors push all in
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:04 PM   #77
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I would do that in a heartbeat. The NBA is a league where there's next to zero point in building a team that's outside the top 5 teams. SO even if the price feels high you have to ask if you'd rather not overpay and possibly be a strong regular season team that has zero chance against the super teams on any given year.

I that respect, I do whatever it takes minus trading Barnes.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 08:03 PM   #78
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Reports are Siakim , OG, and picks would be the package Raptors could put forward

Most US networks think the Raptors can put together the best package on the market if they choose too

Will be a question if Durant will play here and if Raptors push all in

Also the deal I proposed above . Having said that, assuming the picks are a couple firsts, wouldn't there be another team who could beat that?

Secondly, I really wonder if Durant would want to play in Canada. Sure the Raps were his favourite team growing up, but it's another thing to live here. He's really a drama queen in so many regards. Really like his play but there are certainly questions about his commitment to teams since he left OKC.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:45 PM   #79
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

A trade like that would have a ton of risk. The upside is pretty obvious, but I’d be worried if we’d have a good enough roster without Siakam, and that Durant contract could destroy a team on the back half.

It’ll be a tough decision for Masai and co.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:50 PM   #80
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Also the deal I proposed above . Having said that, assuming the picks are a couple firsts, wouldn't there be another team who could beat that?
Siakam made all NBA 3rd team this year . And the Raptors are one of the few teams with all their 1sts going forward

You could easily argue Siakam is the best player being offered on the market . Add in the picks and another good young player it’s a pretty great package
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote