Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #541
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I do miss when force powers were rarely possessed and took a lot of training and focus to muster just in mildly impressive ways.

They've sure cheapened it since.

Mind-probing and suspending a blaster shot in mid air, and now taking a ship down from the sky has blown the force into ridiculous territory.

It was actually mystical and awe-inspiring in the OT films. It's just too easily summoned and manipulated now.
Mainly, I liked the more realistic feeling of the subdued force powers in the OT. Yes you could do a big jump flip to get out of a tight situation but it wasn't a bunch of Cirque du Soleil fighting which is what the prequels looked like.

You just know its not correct by instinct, just like when you see a lot of CG compared to filming real things in lens.

The Jedi at the their prime should have been more like master swordsmen and we'd get some really intense fights and methodical dueling strategy (see the Duellists 1977) but mostly what we saw was twirling and flipping around. Obi Wan ep 6 got the sword play right but I thought lifting hordes of rocks behind him like god-powers was silly.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:20 AM   #542
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Mainly, I liked the more realistic feeling of the subdued force powers in the OT. Yes you could do a big jump flip to get out of a tight situation but it wasn't a bunch of Cirque du Soleil fighting which is what the prequels looked like.

You just know its not correct by instinct, just like when you see a lot of CG compared to filming real things in lens.

The Jedi at the their prime should have been more like master swordsmen and we'd get some really intense fights and methodical dueling strategy (see the Duellists 1977) but mostly what we saw was twirling and flipping around. Obi Wan ep 6 got the sword play right but I thought lifting hordes of rocks behind him like god-powers was silly.

Ok you know what I won't stand for people disparaging the duel of Obi-Wan and Anakin in Revenge of the Sith anymore. I loved the scene and the music was perfection.

This is me not standing for it anymore.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:23 AM   #543
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Ok you know what I won't stand for people disparaging the duel of Obi-Wan and Anakin in Revenge of the Sith anymore. I loved the scene and the music was perfection.

This is me not standing for it anymore.
Anakin couldn't stand for it either
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 10:33 AM   #544
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Obi Wan ep 6 got the sword play right but I thought lifting hordes of rocks behind him like god-powers was silly.
he probably used up a huge chunk of his Force reserves to do that, and in the end it didn't really do much other than wear Vader down a bit. the simple jump slice he did at the end was the single most damaging thing and was probably 10% of the effort.

maybe that's how Vader learned that tiring someone out with just lightsabers takes too long, so throwing random junk at them during a duel is a good strategy for opening them up to a finishing blow.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:39 AM   #545
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Obi Wan duel > episode 3 duel, minus the higher ground sequence which is the stuff of legend.

The duel in this was exactly what I always dreamed of from star wars. It was like ESB/ROTJ dueling on steroids.

I almost hate that the great final episode will in recollection make me overlook many of the nit picks I had with the rest of the show.

It was really a mixed bag. Half of the plot was working against the other half, it just happened to end on a really strong note.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 10:07 PM   #546
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Obi Wan duel > episode 3 duel, minus the higher ground sequence which is the stuff of legend.

The duel in this was exactly what I always dreamed of from star wars. It was like ESB/ROTJ dueling on steroids.

I almost hate that the great final episode will in recollection make me overlook many of the nit picks I had with the rest of the show.

It was really a mixed bag. Half of the plot was working against the other half, it just happened to end on a really strong note.
I'll take that any day vs the reverse. With Obi-Wan the fantastic finale at least made you feel glad you stuck with the series, whereas with something like GOT it completely ruins the greatness from the earlier episodes and makes you wonder why you bothered sticking it out
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:38 AM   #547
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If anyone's interested, someone did a feature cut of the entire season with some changes. You can find it on torrents.

https://www.reddit.com/user/NumeralJ..._supercut_ive/

Quote:
1. I extended the prologue with a new sequence discussing the clone wars series a bit along with Ahsoka's impact on Anakin's arc, it's less than a minute long, but it uses footage from seasons 5-7 overlaid with the Crystal Crisis conversation about her departure to drive home Anakin and Kenobi's feelings about the entire affair. I also incorporated some shots of Siege of Mandalore into the Episode III portions of the prologue to better reflect the editing style of my existing ROTS Supercut, since I intend this cut to be a successor (and sequel) to that one.

You can watch the extended promo here: https://www.reddit.com/user/NumeralJ...r_wars_kenobi/

2. Both of the Leia chase scenes are re-edited to be shorter, punchier and more effective, making them less awkward and distracting. Much like in the BOBF cut, they seemed a bit unfinished during production and this at least partially helps those issue. The second chase needed to be re-scored due to the nature of the edit, so I used an old favorite trick of mine.

You can watch a (near final) version of the chase sequences here: https://www.reddit.com/user/NumeralJ...se_scenes_for/

3. The entire Hayden/Ewan duel from part V has been recut into a single scene, given a new soundtrack, and moved up the timeline to be a single flashback a few minutes later in the film. I've also utilized DarthPorg's superior 4K De-Aging for Hayden, as it is by far the best one currently available. This of course means later scenes without the flashback need to be bridged together appropriately.

You can watch the new cut here, integrated into its new place: https://www.instagram.com/p/CfLS-XqgdML/

(Youtube is currently blocking any footage from the show, so I'll upload samples/a trailer for the cut at a later date).

4. An extended/restructured 6 minutes credit sequence with an extended version of the Williams Kenobi Score.

All said and done, the total run-time for the edit is 3 hours, 52 minutes and 50 seconds.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:52 AM   #548
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If anyone's interested, someone did a feature cut of the entire season with some changes. You can find it on torrents.

Absolutely shocking how much better that de-aging is. This guy, without the help of the biggest movie studio in the world, manages to do a much better job in a matter of days. How does Disney not do a better job?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:37 AM   #549
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Absolutely shocking how much better that de-aging is. This guy, without the help of the biggest movie studio in the world, manages to do a much better job in a matter of days. How does Disney not do a better job?
I mean...okay...but who has this kind of time??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 12:06 PM   #550
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

This is much better except intercutting the Clone Wars segments doesn't fit as it's a cartoony CG style.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:22 PM   #551
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It’s much closer to how Hayden looked 20 years ago though the lighting would need a lot of tweaking to make it show-worthy. I still don’t understand why they were so conservative with his CGI compared to Ewan’s. They made him look like one of those guys in his 30’s trying to play a high schooler in a teen comedy.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:08 PM   #552
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'll take that any day vs the reverse. With Obi-Wan the fantastic finale at least made you feel glad you stuck with the series, whereas with something like GOT it completely ruins the greatness from the earlier episodes and makes you wonder why you bothered sticking it out
Good point.

But I maintain that the first 6 seasons of GOT were legendary television and some of the best there ever was, and even a rushed and subpar finish won't change that.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:22 PM   #553
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Ahhhhhh... much better
Old 06-30-2022, 11:36 PM   #554
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ahhhhhh... much better
I dont know what this is...but I want a movie of it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:17 AM   #555
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know what this is...but I want a movie of it.
Enjoy.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:52 AM   #556
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've marinated my thoughts on the Kenobi series for a bit after watching the finale.

In the end, it had a flat tire. There was so much more juice they could have squeezed out of it I believe.

Even the important bits like Vader facing off with Kenobi even in the finale lacked.....heart and conviction.

Their desired impact with the dialogue fell flat even if you could see where it was going.

Reva wasn't that great of a story angle. Kinda felt really thin.

I had really high hopes for this series as I hoped they could have captured the feeling from EP.III.

I liked it, didn't live up to expectations, which is probably my fault for setting them so high in the 1st place.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:03 PM   #557
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

The shot of Vader overhead while he screams "Obi-Wan!" is a great Star Wars moment. I wish it lived inside something better overall. Pretty meh on the series as a whole, but that finale was worth it.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:37 PM   #558
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know after a lot of thinking about the Kenobi series if we need another season. I mean we know there can't be another confrontation with Vader. We saw the final battle where Obi took Vader to task and then went into hiding.

However I really would like to see a combination Anakin/Vader series that could involve Ewan and Hayden.

They could even have a flashback to the scene where we get an unarmored Vader killing the leaders of the CIS.

They could add the dialogue where we see Anakin/Vader revelling in the slaughter of his enemies.

In the book they added that dialogue and it made Vader seem like even more of a monster.

When one of the Seperatists begs for her life and cries out "But we were promised a handsome reward". Anakin responds before he kills her "You don't find me handsome".

Nute Gunray begs "Please Lord Sidious promised us peace", Anakin retorts "The transmission was garbled he promised to leave you in pieces". Before butchering him.

We could literally have a Vader series that focuses on his first year after being put in the suit, where he has to confront his decisions, the death of his wife, and the realization, that Palpatine really screwed him over, and Palpatine won everything and Vader lost everything.

We know that a few Jedi survived. We don't need to involve Ashoka, let him believe she's dead for a decade. But we know Quinlan is a surviver. I'd love to see Vader hunting that jerk down.

They could even have a scene where Vader comes to Alderaan and Bail has to hide Leia away from him.

I'd love to see a Star Wars series where the villain is the main character. I'd love to see a Star Wars series that gets rid of the concept that there is still a spark of good in Vader and he does noble things from time to time. Anakin finally became Vader, a brutal monster at the end of the Kenobi season. I'd like to see more.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2022, 11:42 AM   #559
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't know after a lot of thinking about the Kenobi series if we need another season. I mean we know there can't be another confrontation with Vader. We saw the final battle where Obi took Vader to task and then went into hiding.

However I really would like to see a combination Anakin/Vader series that could involve Ewan and Hayden.

They could even have a flashback to the scene where we get an unarmored Vader killing the leaders of the CIS.

They could add the dialogue where we see Anakin/Vader revelling in the slaughter of his enemies.

In the book they added that dialogue and it made Vader seem like even more of a monster.

When one of the Seperatists begs for her life and cries out "But we were promised a handsome reward". Anakin responds before he kills her "You don't find me handsome".

Nute Gunray begs "Please Lord Sidious promised us peace", Anakin retorts "The transmission was garbled he promised to leave you in pieces". Before butchering him.

We could literally have a Vader series that focuses on his first year after being put in the suit, where he has to confront his decisions, the death of his wife, and the realization, that Palpatine really screwed him over, and Palpatine won everything and Vader lost everything.

We know that a few Jedi survived. We don't need to involve Ashoka, let him believe she's dead for a decade. But we know Quinlan is a surviver. I'd love to see Vader hunting that jerk down.

They could even have a scene where Vader comes to Alderaan and Bail has to hide Leia away from him.

I'd love to see a Star Wars series where the villain is the main character. I'd love to see a Star Wars series that gets rid of the concept that there is still a spark of good in Vader and he does noble things from time to time. Anakin finally became Vader, a brutal monster at the end of the Kenobi season. I'd like to see more.
100 times this!
Old 07-26-2022, 11:52 AM   #560
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Another major issue with another Obi series is that for ANH to make sense Obi needs to be a hermit for a long time. If he's out running around the galaxy for even more years, it really takes away from that.

Even with this series I was concerned about how meeting Vader would affect the eventual meeting in ANH. The confrontation was great though, so it didn't really take away too much from the ANH confrontation, but another one certainly would.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: