Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #4161
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You can take your long break and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. How is it going to be worse than being one of the very few optimistic posters on a board full of negative, miserable, pessimistic fans? I know, it will be hell on me because I wanted the player to stay and the team to succeed instead of the drama and misery of them failing. I can't wait.
My goodness I had no idea you were such an accomplished violin player. If Johnny decides to move on, please do us all a favor and take a break for a while as a grown adult having a mental breakdown on a fan forum is not something we need to see.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #4162
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
This can all be true, and he can still leave. It's like you're unable to comprehend all of the context that weighs on a decision as monumental as this for Gaudreau.
He can but you can't seem to be able to comprehend how that would make fans upset. Just look at what Long Island did to JT. There is nothing wrong with fans getting angry at Gaudreau if he leaves after everything he said. It's called passion, something this board could use more of.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #4163
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
And logically that would make sense.

Of course your family wants you close, on both sides. It would be odd if they didn't.

It's a huge decision for both of them. New/first child for the parents, he would be travelling for 3 months of baby's 1st year. Having grandparents around for that is a pretty big plus.

So unless money is the major consideration for JG and wife, the ability to be back near home is kind of a large lure. Considering he is going to get paid no matter where he signs, it really does seem likely he could leave just based on geography and family ties.

That is not to say he doesn't love Calgary and his situation here and with the team, but ALL factors have to be given the same weight simply because we do not know what he thinks is most important to him.

Im sure its time for the "youre a troll" stuff to come my way because im not waving pom poms with Flames red colored glasses on, but really it only makes sense.

I think that take is perfectly logical. It’s the emotional rants that Treliving should be fired because Johnny makes a lifestyle decision that seem out of whack.

Maybe the GM did explore signing Johnny last year as well as trading Johnny last year and neither option was better than just seeing how the season could go. Treliving did say in his press conference that the team needs a shake up. It seemed like a tough trade market last year. I would rather him hold off.

Also we just witnessed one of the best single season performances in Flames history. I’m sure that Treliving and ownership are okay with that outcome, particularly if trade options weren’t all that enticing (just speculating).

If Johnny leaves money on the table and chooses lifestyle then no GM was going to fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #4164
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
If Johnny leaves it doesn't mean anything he said was BS or dishonest or untruthful.
Precisely.

Some just cannot grasp this though.

Hell...waiting to get to UFA doesn't mean he doesnt want to be in Calgary.

It simply means he wishes to see what else is available before making the final decision.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #4165
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
My goodness I had no idea you were such an accomplished violin player. If Johnny decides to move on, please do us all a favor and take a break for a while as a grown adult having a mental breakdown on a fan forum is not something we need to see.
Ok, and if he signs you take a break as you are only happy when things go wrong. You and your merry band of miserable friends can give this place a much needed break from all the negativity.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:16 AM   #4166
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Precisely.

Some just cannot grasp this though.

Hell...waiting to get to UFA doesn't mean he doesnt want to be in Calgary.

It simply means he wishes to see what else is available before making the final decision.
If he signs somewhere else he totally bs this fanbase. Fans will have every reason to be upset. That is human nature as a fan. Or if you are not actually a fan but more of a fair weather guy who really doesn't care then ya, I can see how one wouldn't care.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:20 AM   #4167
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, and if he signs you take a break as you are only happy when things go wrong. You and your merry band of miserable friends can give this place a much needed break from all the negativity.
Why would I take a break? If Johnny moves on I will be curious and a little excited to see what direction the organization chooses to go. I’m not going to whine about Gaudreau leaving as he’s earned this moment in his career to choose where he plays. It’s out of our control and I try not to worry about things out of my control. You are acting like a child trying to brand any poster that’s not convinced he’s going to stay as a miserable and negative poster when all the negative energy in this thread is emanating from you.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 11:21 AM   #4168
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Johnny can leave if he wants. Holding a grudge against him for it would be kinda lame. He owes the fans and the city nothing. It’s his life, he can live it how he wants.

Ultimately Tre and the flames knew this was a possibility and decided to proceed without maximizing the return for Gaudreau and avoiding losing him for nothing. Pretty much the entire fan base supported this decision too.

This is just the reality of pro sports and free agency.
I kind of agree kind of don’t. I understand why people who live here and love Calgary and call it home would take it as a shot against Calgary. But I do see your side too.

What’s the difference between what Fox did and Gaudreau leaving then?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:23 AM   #4169
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Johnny leaves I won't be happy about it, but I don't think I will hold a grudge. The guy gave us 8 years here and 100% earned the right to choose his next spot.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 11:24 AM   #4170
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
The answer is simple. Gaudreau fulfilled his obligations to the team that drafted him. Fox did not. He didn’t want any part of playing with the Flames.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 11:25 AM   #4171
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If Johnny leaves, there will be some sour Flames fans, but I'm 100% confident he would get a standing ovation at the dome the first time he returned.

He isn't Adam POS Fox.

Nothing like the one hes gonna get when we retire his jersey at the end of his career. He's never playing in the dome without a flaming c on his chest.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:25 AM   #4172
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If Johnny leaves, there will be some sour Flames fans, but I'm 100% confident he would get a standing ovation at the dome the first time he returned.

He isn't Adam POS Fox.
Sure but fan grudges are just a fun part of sports too. Where's your jammies was a great chant and I thought the Islanders fans were hilarious. It didn't hurt that the team got better after he left. I wouldn't begrudge fans for taking part in that part of sports either. Pay your money, boo the guy. It's all part of it. Turn your back on a legacy? Cool, no biggie, but you might get booed. Who cares? How's your in-laws could be a funny chant...
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:32 AM   #4173
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why would I take a break? If Johnny moves on I will be curious and a little excited to see what direction the organization chooses to go. I’m not going to whine about Gaudreau leaving as he’s earned this moment in his career to choose where he plays. It’s out of our control and I try not to worry about things out of my control. You are acting like a child trying to brand any poster that’s not convinced he’s going to stay as a miserable and negative poster when all the negative energy in this thread is emanating from you.
No, I am trying to explain to you and some other posters that a lot of the fanbase will be very upset at him for choosing to leave after the things he has said and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is not mental, it is not crazy, it is what fans who are emotionally invested feel.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:33 AM   #4174
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningSteel View Post
Nothing like the one hes gonna get when we retire his jersey at the end of his career. He's never playing in the dome without a flaming c on his chest.

Does Johnny have a tattoo?

powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:34 AM   #4175
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I kind of agree kind of don’t. I understand why people who live here and love Calgary and call it home would take it as a shot against Calgary. But I do see your side too.

That's a pretty easy one.

Gaudreau honored his obligation to sign with the team that drafted him, and then also signed another contract that took away some of his UFA years. He gave us 8 seasons.

Fox is a selfish piece of crap that didn't honor the team that drafted him and basically let it be known that he'd not sign with them and just continue to play college and get his degree (despite being NHL ready and wanting to start his NHL career) in order to go and sign where he wanted, instead of with the team that drafted him.

Just because it's "within the rules" doesn't make it right.

One is an honorable human being, the other is a selfish piece of crap that only cares about himself.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 11:36 AM   #4176
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
No, I am trying to explain to you and some other posters that a lot of the fanbase will be very upset at him for choosing to leave after the things he has said and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is not mental, it is not crazy, it is what fans who are emotionally invested feel.
Well that reflects on the pettiness of you and those that would be upset at a man making the best decision for himself and his family.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 11:36 AM   #4177
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It is completely irrational and silly, which I get is part of fandom for some people. Personally, the only time I get upset about red laundry is when it ruins my white laundry.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #4178
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
If he signs somewhere else he totally bs this fanbase. Fans will have every reason to be upset. That is human nature as a fan. Or if you are not actually a fan but more of a fair weather guy who really doesn't care then ya, I can see how one wouldn't care.
I see...so if a fan isnt blind homeristic/"he said he wants to play here" and understands that a player can love a city but still choose somewhere else to play because of wife & family reasons/new situations (pregnant wife who is not a local).....they are just "fair weather" fans who don't care?

Im a fair weather fan then, but also completely objective.

I'm OK with that because I know what I don't know, and that is the fact that no one knows what his biggest motivations or influences are, and he has earned the right to do whatever it is he thinks is best for him and those he loves.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:39 AM   #4179
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
continue to play college and get his degree (despite being NHL ready and wanting to start his NHL career)
What a monster.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:42 AM   #4180
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It is completely irrational and silly, which I get is part of fandom for some people. Personally, the only time I get upset about red laundry is when it ruins my white laundry.

Which comes back to the old adage....cheer for the logo on the front and not the name on the back.

Its where I live the best I can, though getting emotionally attached to players is something that happens to everyone who follows sports teams closely. I just have been doing it for so long its pretty rare to happen anymore. Its a hard lesson/reality to face.

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win