Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2022, 02:45 PM   #3921
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That's the thing, you are equating grandparents as babysitters.

Even if they live in the same city, it's likely that the grandparents will babysit less than once a week.

It's not about affording babysitting, it's about being relativing close to your family.
I'm not equating grandparenting with babysitting. What I'm saying is not everyone wants to be that close to their families. Especially new mothers with their mother in-laws.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:05 PM   #3922
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

*CP'ers every time an "insider" says something... ANYTHING... about the Gaudreau/Flames situation, whether it's a gut feeling or the tiniest tidbit of info*

"OMG OMG OMG if this isn't confirmation idk what is"

Absolutely love reading all the extreme takes from each side
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 03:11 PM   #3923
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I'm not equating grandparenting with babysitting. What I'm saying is not everyone wants to be that close to their families. Especially new mothers with their mother in-laws.
Johnny seems extremely close to his family, always has.

I really believe if Johnny wanted to be in Calgary "at all costs" he'd be inked by now. His failure to sign currently means to me that he's considering signing elsewhere. That doesn't mean he won't sign in Calgary, but it's not a slam dunk either. Far from it.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:18 PM   #3924
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Johnny seems extremely close to his family, always has.

I really believe if Johnny wanted to be in Calgary "at all costs" he'd be inked by now. His failure to sign currently means to me that he's considering signing elsewhere. That doesn't mean he won't sign in Calgary, but it's not a slam dunk either. Far from it.
Being a "glass half-full" person I'm choosing to think that he's waiting out the Finals to be fair to the teams actually playing for the Cup, while he talks it over with Guy and Jane as to how he will be connecting with them more regularly, perhaps finding them a lovely condo for them to reside in while here, so they have their own space and comforts while visiting their grandchild-to-be. (Is it actually confirmed that Meredith is pregnant?)
Old 06-22-2022, 03:23 PM   #3925
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no reason for JG to sign until the day before his 8 year contract opportunity
expires . That is when his agent has maximum leverage to get the finals cents out of the Flames if he wants to stay

Unless we are to believe (and I sure don’t) the Flames will present a final offer take
Or leave it in advance of this date

Why wouldn’t they milk this to the last second ?

Doesn’t mean he wants to stay - but no one should get any more nervous with each passing day - there’s really only one day that matters
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:28 PM   #3926
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Go outside.. enjoy the weather. Its June. Ignore all hockey until July 1. Check back then. It will not happen before then.
But I at least kind of look like I'm working if I'm just constantly lurking on here... less so if I'm wandering around outside.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 03:29 PM   #3927
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing near home and playing for your childhood team are different things.

Johnny grew up a Philly fan. There's a good chance he absolutely hates all the other NE teams and wants nothing to do with them. I wouldn't want to play for Edmonton or Vancouver just because they are "close to home"
Old 06-22-2022, 03:36 PM   #3928
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Being a "glass half-full" person I'm choosing to think that he's waiting out the Finals to be fair to the teams actually playing for the Cup, while he talks it over with Guy and Jane as to how he will be connecting with them more regularly, perhaps finding them a lovely condo for them to reside in while here, so they have their own space and comforts while visiting their grandchild-to-be. (Is it actually confirmed that Meredith is pregnant?)
It was mentioned after Johnny scored the OT goal game 7

Last edited by calgaryred; 06-22-2022 at 03:48 PM.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:50 PM   #3929
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
It was mentioned after Johnny scored the OT goal game 7
A lot of people got pregnant that night
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:07 PM   #3930
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still lots of time with 3 weeks until free agency.

Would love to know the numbers being offered/asked though.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:19 PM   #3931
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Waiting is the worst. Johnnys just the first of a Long long list of things the Flames need to deal with this offseason. And you can bet your bottom dollar none of em get looked at before knowing the Johnny outcome.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:22 PM   #3932
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he's a goner personally. Not only is he from out in the NJ/Philly area, but so is his wife. If she's close with her family like he is, that IMO is pretty much the death knell for him staying.

I've been guessing Nashville as a dark horse pick, but the Devils are the obvious go to pick when you take everything into account. High profile young players, supposedly a team on the cusp of becoming a perennial playoff team and maybe even contender, close proximity to both families, way better travel during the season, plenty of cap space to make it work....
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 04:24 PM   #3933
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^I was today year's old when I found out it is "death knell" and not "death nail".
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 04:25 PM   #3934
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
And of course, when Landeskog signed, the Avs were in a similar position as the Flames. Fresh off a second round exit. And it was clear money was the issue for Landeskog anyway.
The Avs were 2 pts from winning the West in 2019, and were the top team in the league the next season. Doesn't take a genius to see their trajectory. And beyond that, I'm sure Landeskog could take one look at the roster and know that was a team on the verge of greatness.

I don't even know why you're wasting time arguing that Colorado and the Flames would even be remotely similar situations.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:30 PM   #3935
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
I think this is very possible. It’s not like Johnny is the only UFA/RFA that could sign anytime now. Not a lot of action league wide other than Bishop and Weber trades? Things will pick up after the finals are over
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:31 PM   #3936
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think we're in that uncomfortable space in time where Johnny hockey is using his leverage. Everyone starts to feel hopeless until bam, Calgary gives him the number... Upwards of 90 million. No one can beat it and no one can say no to it.

Say what you want about him, his wife, family, friends, home, flying, whatever... When Calgary shows him a contract that has 8 digits and starts with a 9, he's a flame.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 04:36 PM   #3937
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
I think we're in that uncomfortable space in time where Johnny hockey is using his leverage. Everyone starts to feel hopeless until bam, Calgary gives him the number... Upwards of 90 million. No one can beat it and no one can say no to it.

Say what you want about him, his wife, family, friends, home, flying, whatever... When Calgary shows him a contract that has 8 digits and starts with a 9, he's a flame.
I still think it starts with a 10. But even so 8 years at even $10.5, that’s $84 million. 90 million and we are talking over $11 million per year, I don’t think it takes that much.
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:37 PM   #3938
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
^I was today year's old when I found out it is "death knell" and not "death nail".
I'm afraid to ask what you thought someone would do with a death nail.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:42 PM   #3939
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
I still think it starts with a 10. But even so 8 years at even $10.5, that’s $84 million. 90 million and we are talking over $11 million per year, I don’t think it takes that much.
Whatever the number, I think we will see it and get the immediate sense that Calgary needed to outbid someone.

I'd hold my nose and go 92, final offer at 11:59 the night before the deadline.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 04:42 PM   #3940
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned much which is going to be a massive factor is he'll be deciding between going back to a 111 point, division winner or moving on to terrible 61/63 point teams that are 4 or 5 years away. Ain't nobody got time for that, especially not Johnny. He'll be eager to get back at it with the Flames, a top team in the league to make more runs at it in those same 4-5 years.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win