Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2022, 01:42 PM   #3901
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahaha. Sigh, I can't wait until this is all over in 3 weeks.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 01:43 PM   #3902
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Was it David Pagnotta? He is usually a pretty good source
No, it was some guy the called “Erv” I’m not going to even try to find out who this is lol
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:45 PM   #3903
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think people are forgetting that if they truly need to assign blame, it's always Edmonton's fault, because E=NG. If Johnny signs elsewhere it's likely because it's further from Edmonton.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
SnipeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnipeShow For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #3904
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Why is the season after he signed relevant? We're dissecting Stamkos' choice of which contract to ink...
I know. But if he thought they were a top team, that turned out to be wrong. But moreover, I don’t think you’d have look at that team, in the context of other teams that were around then and thought they were a clear favorite to go in the direction they did. Point wasn’t Point yet, Vasilevsky wasn’t Vasilevsky yet. They had potential.

People seem to think JG wouldn’t see similar potential here, after a great regular season and the first PO series win since 2015, with 3 all stars including a second place Vezina candidate.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #3905
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Johnny is about the become a father, His wife has major input on where he plays going forward, Jane and Guy don't seem to have any intention of jet setting to frozen Alberta winters to support raising their grandchild while he plays hockey in Canada. This is a family first group by all accounts. Johnny can walk if he wants to go home, to raise his family and have all the supports with it.

We will find out that the lure of playing with a Barzal in Long Island or going to play in Philly with his good buddy Kevin Hayes all while being a quick private jet flight away from all the grandparents will be too much to give up.

Saddest part will we will get some scuffed hope and dream that we can still be a contender without Johnny but Lindy is a 20-30 goal guy and Chucky is 70-80 Pts player without him and he too will head home to America.
I’m pretty curious if you have ever been married, with kids? In my experience, when a wife/mother is at home with the kids, it’s her family doing much stuff of the heavy lifting helping out. In the case of a travelling hockey player, I’d wager that this is amplified.

I think you might be putting far too much weight on Johnny’s extended family and too little on his wife. I’d be pretty surprised if the reason Johnny left was so that his parents could help his wife raise grandkids while his wife’s family stay in Calgary (presumably). I don’t think it’s a factor at all.

I think Johnny and his wife will make the best decision they feel fits their own family situation. The rest will take care of itself when it comes to grandparents etc.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:50 PM   #3906
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
I’m pretty curious if you have ever been married, with kids? In my experience, when a wife/mother is at home with the kids, it’s her family doing much stuff of the heavy lifting helping out. In the case of a travelling hockey player, I’d wager that this is amplified.

I think you might be putting far too much weight on Johnny’s extended family and too little on his wife. I’d be pretty surprised if the reason Johnny left was so that his parents could help his wife raise grandkids while his wife’s family stay in Calgary (presumably). I don’t think it’s a factor at all.

I think Johnny and his wife will make the best decision they feel fits their own family situation. The rest will take care of itself when it comes to grandparents etc.
Why do you think JG’s wife’s family would be here? She’s from Philly.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #3907
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

While this is definitely true in most situations, $10MM / year can buy some pretty sweet Nanny/Housekeeping help.
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bzoo02 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 01:52 PM   #3908
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Johnny's wife and her family are from Philadelphia.

Last edited by calgaryred; 06-22-2022 at 01:54 PM.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:53 PM   #3909
DSIM420
Backup Goalie

Exp:

With a 10M USD per year salary, I think it is safe to say they can afford a live in nanny. Problem solved if the parents live out of town.
DSIM420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:54 PM   #3910
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Johnny is about the become a father, His wife has major input on where he plays going forward, Jane and Guy don't seem to have any intention of jet setting to frozen Alberta winters to support raising their grandchild while he plays hockey in Canada. This is a family first group by all accounts. Johnny can walk if he wants to go home, to raise his family and have all the supports with it.

We will find out that the lure of playing with a Barzal in Long Island or going to play in Philly with his good buddy Kevin Hayes all while being a quick private jet flight away from all the grandparents will be too much to give up.

Saddest part will we will get some scuffed hope and dream that we can still be a contender without Johnny but Lindy is a 20-30 goal guy and Chucky is 70-80 Pts player without him and he too will head home to America.
Ok but counterpoint - The Flyers are ass. A very poorly run org, making bad decisions and allocating their cap poorly. For example locking up Ristolainen and currently looking to trade Provorov. Their management reminds me of the Feaster-led Flames. That sort of thing matters too. Players don't want to play on bad teams going downhill. Part of the agent's job is saying "hey x team has 5 players under 25 who are stars or trending to be stars so if you sign with that team you have a good chance at a cup." More goes into decisions than picking a city your wife and mom likes

Last edited by saillias; 06-22-2022 at 01:57 PM.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 01:54 PM   #3911
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Why do you think JG’s wife’s family would be here? She’s from Philly.
Good point. Something in my head had her as a Calgary girl, but I must have been thinking of someone else. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up
Old 06-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #3912
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIM420 View Post
With a 10M USD per year salary, I think it is safe to say they can afford a live in nanny. Problem solved if the parents live out of town.
Not everybody is willing to have a nanny over family, I wouldn't if I was in Johnny's place. I would leave Calgary, and I'm sure his wife is bringing that up. If he was single and no kids story would be different.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:09 PM   #3913
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Ok but counterpoint - The Flyers are ass. A very poorly run org, making bad decisions and allocating their cap poorly. For example locking up Ristolainen and currently looking to trade Provorov. Their management reminds me of the Feaster-led Flames. That sort of thing matters too. Players don't want to play on bad teams going downhill. Part of the agent's job is saying "hey x team has 5 players under 25 who are stars or trending to be stars so if you sign with that team you have a good chance at a cup." More goes into decisions than picking a city your wife and mom likes
The Flyers and Flames have had pretty similar success over the past 10 years. A couple of really good regular seasons, a few 1st and 2nd round playoff exits, and a few years of missing the playoffs in between. Both teams seem to draft pretty well, but then screw it up by handing out anchor contracts.

Really, the Flyers are like kindred spirits to the Flames. Always doing things the hard way and having to compete with inter-state/province rivals who fail their way up at every opportunity.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:14 PM   #3914
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I think both sets of parents are in NJ.

Also, to this note, we moved when we were expecting our first kid. Traditionally our parents would have been very involved. My wife is/was a superstar and has raised our oldest with zero help aside from what I could help outside of work.

I agree that him and his wife will be making the best decision for them. Both sets of our parents gave their support for us moving, despite the challenges of being away from their grandchild and us.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 02:15 PM   #3915
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Tbh I’ve become pretty pessimistic about everythung and now I think Johnny is gonna leave. I don’t blame him one bit. Especially if he wants to raise his kids around family and close to his hometown. The guy probably doesn’t care about potentially being considered the greatest Flame like the organization seems to be selling him on
Old 06-22-2022, 02:29 PM   #3916
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIM420 View Post
I think you are simplifying things too much.

There is more to having grandparents around than having a convenient babysitter.

I believe that Johnny generally goes back east when hockey is over. Once you have kids in school, you are relegated to only 2 months back home. maybe his wife wants to work full time, it's hard to take 4-5 months off each year to travel back east.

It's much easier to play near a place you want to live full time.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:31 PM   #3917
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
Not everybody is willing to have a nanny over family, I wouldn't if I was in Johnny's place. I would leave Calgary, and I'm sure his wife is bringing that up. If he was single and no kids story would be different.
Just as many people would rather a nanny than having to be around their in-laws or their own family too much. That's the thing, we don't know what Johnny and his wife might prefer.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:39 PM   #3918
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Just as many people would rather a nanny than having to be around their in-laws or their own family too much. That's the thing, we don't know what Johnny and his wife might prefer.
That's the thing, you are equating grandparents as babysitters.

Even if they live in the same city, it's likely that the grandparents will babysit less than once a week.

It's not about affording babysitting, it's about being relativing close to your family.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:42 PM   #3919
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I fall in this category. lol.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:43 PM   #3920
Knut

Exp:

Go outside.. enjoy the weather. Its June. Ignore all hockey until July 1. Check back then. It will not happen before then.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win