Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2022, 07:37 PM   #3221
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Tbh I’ve just accepted is gonna be something between 10.5 to 11.5 mill. Star players are gonna get paid more over time. It is what it is
Yep, $11.5 million/8 years is my guess for what it would take. Panarin money. As front loaded as possible.

But I think he gets that regardless of where he signs, minus the 8th year of course. It is going to come down to Johnny and where he wants to play, and whether that 8th year is worth it to him. Leaving a few million on the table after a long and lucrative career might not be an issue for him.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:39 PM   #3222
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

He’s not signing I’m Calgary..
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:58 PM   #3223
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
I'm SPARTACUS!

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:58 PM   #3224
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Is that the trolling equivalent of catching your lure on a rock and having the line snap?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 08:12 PM   #3225
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
okay its just a bad take then

Kopitar is better than Gaudreau right now?? Some of them you can make a case but you are obviously going out of your way to be obtuse.

Taylor Hall? Gaudreau has had two seasons better than his Hart season and counting...Gaudreau will probably finish with 200+ more points than Hall.

Gaudreau is over a PPG FOR HIS CAREER, don't give me this couple seasons nonsense.

Almost all the guys I listed are ppg for their careers (or they’re 2-way C’s a little under that)…seems like you’re the one moving goalposts

Swap Kopitar and Gaudreau. I think the Flames win a few less regular season games but still win the division. But I also think the Flames would also be just getting finished with losing to the Avs in 4-5.

I never said Hall was as good as Johnny. I’m just pointing out how it would be silly to rank him too heavily based on that season (which is probably every bit as impressive as Johnny’s year despite the somewhat pedestrian point total - look at that team) - which is exactly what everyone seems to be doing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:15 PM   #3226
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
The Coyotes are not staying in Arizona ..
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:22 PM   #3227
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
11 or something slightly under is probably what it'll end up being.

Johnny & Chucky simultaneously signing matching 8x10s would be my wet dream.
I predict Johnny ends up 10.5 x 8yrs. I think Tkachuk will sign a 6 year deal, around 10M/yr. Takes him to UFA at the same time as his brother and still young enough to hit another big pay day.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 08:24 PM   #3228
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought $9m x 8 years. He could get more, but at some point the money doesn't matter as much. You want lots of money, you want to win, you want to leave a legacy.

I get that $13m is more than $9m. But other things matter too. I'd rather have $72m and a cup and play 8 years of competitive hockey than have $104m and play 8 years of middling hockey and retire with no cup.

To each their own.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:33 PM   #3229
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I thought $9m x 8 years. He could get more, but at some point the money doesn't matter as much. You want lots of money, you want to win, you want to leave a legacy.

I get that $13m is more than $9m. But other things matter too. I'd rather have $72m and a cup and play 8 years of competitive hockey than have $104m and play 8 years of middling hockey and retire with no cup.

To each their own.
Would you rather have $72 m and no cup, or $104 m and no cup? I don't think that Gaudreau is unaware of the challenges of cap constraints to winning, but I also don't think he would ever consider leaving +$30 m on the table under any circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:35 PM   #3230
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
One of the worst things I have seen posted in a long time. Congratulations
I’m sure Murray Edwards has had worse insults thrown his way. I think he can handle it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:38 PM   #3231
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To each their own.
Honestly, I would rather have the extra $32 million and play somewhere south of 38 degrees latitude. I'd sacrifice location for money, but if was a player and could have both, I'd take it. Having a legacy with a team would be a nice bonus and I would put that ahead of a Cup, but again, not sure I would sacrifice $32 million for that. A few million sure, but not a fortune like that.

I hope leaving a legacy with the Flames and potentially raising a family in a safe city is enough to convince him to sign.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:40 PM   #3232
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Would you rather have $72 m and no cup, or $104 m and no cup? I don't think that Gaudreau is unaware of the challenges of cap constraints to winning, but I also don't think he would ever consider leaving +$30 m on the table under any circumstances.

Fair. I guess it depends on the type of person he is and the types of teams offering him term at time of UFA.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy if he maxes dollars. He's also not a dumb guy if he leaves money on the table. It's about what he wants as a person.

I know a lot of people with lots of money that care more about their craft than the money it brings. The money is great for them, but most of it just sits in a bank account or equivalent accumulating returns they will never spend given their lifestyle. So it's nice, but the incremental value of extra money to these people is pretty minimal.

It's really hard to say what he does. Could go either way I guess.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:45 PM   #3233
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Player isn't taking 9 million and nobody's giving him 13 million. The difference between staying a Flame and going somewhere else will likely be less than 8 million total.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:49 PM   #3234
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...It's really hard to say what he does. Could go either way I guess.
It will not go either way. Gaudreau is not signing for as little as $9.0 m, and he won't be fielding any offers for $13.0 m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:50 PM   #3235
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Almost all the guys I listed are ppg for their careers (or they’re 2-way C’s a little under that)…seems like you’re the one moving goalposts

Swap Kopitar and Gaudreau. I think the Flames win a few less regular season games but still win the division. But I also think the Flames would also be just getting finished with losing to the Avs in 4-5.

I never said Hall was as good as Johnny. I’m just pointing out how it would be silly to rank him too heavily based on that season (which is probably every bit as impressive as Johnny’s year despite the somewhat pedestrian point total - look at that team) - which is exactly what everyone seems to be doing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you can't actually be serious...again maybe 10 years ago
Kopitar also played the Oilers in the playoffs this year and had 4 points and was -6...how can you possibly say the Flames would have done better in the playoffs this year with Kopitar and without Gaudreau.

Not one GM in the league would take Kopitar over Gaudreau right now

Last edited by dino7c; 06-14-2022 at 08:56 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 08:52 PM   #3236
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Honestly, I would rather have the extra $32 million and play somewhere south of 38 degrees latitude. I'd sacrifice location for money, but if was a player and could have both, I'd take it. Having a legacy with a team would be a nice bonus and I would put that ahead of a Cup, but again, not sure I would sacrifice $32 million for that. A few million sure, but not a fortune like that.

I hope leaving a legacy with the Flames and potentially raising a family in a safe city is enough to convince him to sign.
Of course everyone on here would take the $32 mil but Johnny is looking at $120 mil career earnings vs $150 mil career earnings. Winning could play a big factor as he’s already had around $50 mil career earnings

If this was his first big contract he would be more likely to be greedy.

Can’t say for sure he leaves money on the table but tons of athletes have to win

Cup vs no cup isn’t just the argument too. Finishing well out of the playoffs yearly vs getting to play in the playoffs is a big deal. Ask a guy like Hall who picked Boston for less money because he was sick of being on the worst teams in the league yearly

Johnny will sign for less than $11.5 no matter where he goes. Flames will be less than $10 mil per
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:56 PM   #3237
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To each their own.
It's really, really tough to predict the bolded. There are normally 4-6 teams at each extreme that you can be sure will be really good or really bad for the next few years. The ~20 teams in the middle aren't necessarily a crapshoot, but things can go pear shaped in a hurry (VGK, NYI, PHI, MTL) or come together faster than expected (FLA, MIN, NYR).

Lots of caveats to each of those examples, but the big thing is how hard it is to get over the hump. Consider how great TBL and COL are and how long it's taken each of them to put it together.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:59 PM   #3238
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's really, really tough to predict the bolded. There are normally 4-6 teams at each extreme that you can be sure will be really good or really bad for the next few years. The ~20 teams in the middle aren't necessarily a crapshoot, but things can go pear shaped in a hurry (VGK, NYI, PHI, MTL) or come together faster than expected (FLA, MIN, NYR).

Lots of caveats to each of those examples, but the big thing is how hard it is to get over the hump. Consider how great TBL and COL are and how long it's taken each of them to put it together.
26 year rebuild lol

you're right though, who the fack knows, over the next 8 years any number of teams will be good...except the Oilers they will remain NG
Old 06-14-2022, 09:04 PM   #3239
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Some players also value their teammates. I personally don’t think the range is $32 mil as I just don’t see Johnny getting $104 mil over $72 mil. Max he gets is maybe $90 to $95.

Winning the division and playing with Tkachuk and Lindholm seem like Johnny was loving the game this year. I can see him leaving $10 mil on the table to keep it going.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:16 PM   #3240
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

He’s going to get as much money as he possibly can in the city he wants to play in. It’s the agents job to do this, unless the player explicitly says don’t go higher than $X AAV because I want my team to be able to sign more good players. And I doubt that is very common.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win