Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2022, 05:18 PM   #161
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
The story was that Francis has not been getting top-line/PP1 time. I believe it may be due to the time he missed with an injury at the start of the season-they put together a top line in his stead that’s been rolling. When William Dufour has been out of the lineup, Francis has been inserted on that line and his production has gone up. That was the story, at least earlier in the season. I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about.
That's exactly the case.

Francis is getting alot of hard minutes at the moment and is pretty much their entire second line.

He is producing though in this role which is good but it would still be preferable if he was the key offensive threat for the team.

Last edited by Flames1217; 02-05-2022 at 11:11 PM.
Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 09:47 PM   #162
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
That's exactly the case.

Francis is getting alot of hard minutes at the moment and is pretty much their entire second line.

He is producing though in this role which is good but it would still be preferable if he was the key offensive log for the team.
I believe I owe you the credit for reporting this in the first place. Thank you!
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 11:27 PM   #163
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I believe I owe you the credit for reporting this in the first place. Thank you!
Also of it helps he has spent the year switching from RW to Center quite often.

Things will probably start to change for him going forward though. Prior to the Q trade deadline Francis had been primarily playing with MacDonald and a rotating cast of misfits on LW. The Sea Dogs brought in quite a bit of talent and now have two " first lines". Francis will likely be playing with Ansons and Doaust which is a huggggge upgrade talent wise. I wouldn't be shocked to see his offensive output spike in the coming weeks.

Last edited by Flames1217; 02-05-2022 at 11:35 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 12:04 AM   #164
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feb.5th:

Huckins 1a,+2 in a 5-2 win over Blainville. 25gp/11g/12a/23pts,+7, 41 PIM.

No Whynot for Halifax.

No Jordan for MJ.

Ciona second star with 2g,+1, 5 shots. 36gp/13g/11a/24pts,+15, 65 PIM. If he keeps up this pace, I may have to take back all the crappy things I've said about him.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 12:57 AM   #165
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Do you think it was a mistake to send Francis and Kuznestov back to junior instead of letting them play in the AHL and learn to be pros? Don't seem to see the growth or success you'd be hoping for
IMO, in the case of Francis (and Scorp could speak on this better than me), it was the right move as he was pretty invisible in his 4-game AHL audition, from what I've been told, and there's not a lot of room on the Heat anyway. I like the way the farm has been set up-a good mix of young draftees, mixed with a healthy group of vets to bring them along. Also IMO, Quebec league kids have a somewhat steeper learning curve than the other 2 leagues in the CHL, as the style of play is more wide open. Plus, as mentioned above, Francis now has some players to play with on his line.

In the case of Kuz, I think he should've just stayed in College. It would've given him the opportunity to keep developing against men, at a lower level than pro. I thought he was coming along nicely there-11 pts in 34 games, followed by 6 pts in 16 games, down to 3 pts in 5 junior games. From what I've read, he didn't look out of place in the NCAA. What is you opinion?
Old 02-06-2022, 07:02 AM   #166
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm torn on this, more so on Francis than Kuz. Kuz should not have been sent to junior, especially the QJMHL where defense is many times an after thought. Kuz should have been kept in the AHL and allowed to play against men, learning to play defense against better players. Junior is a backwards step in development for a guy that has been in college and the pros. I think this was a mistake.

Franics is a guy that I think could gain benefit from either league, but the Flames should have found out if he was going to be getting prime playing time, or playing second banana. If he was not going to be the go-to guy, they should have kept him in Stockton and kept challenging him. Maybe they felt they had too many small players in Stockton already and that played into the decision. I'm just cautious about possible stagnation of the player by playing at the same level for too long. I can understand why they would send Francis down, but I would have liked to see him in the primary center role rather than playing down the lineup.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 07:27 AM   #167
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm torn on this, more so on Francis than Kuz. Kuz should not have been sent to junior, especially the QJMHL where defense is many times an after thought. Kuz should have been kept in the AHL and allowed to play against men, learning to play defense against better players. Junior is a backwards step in development for a guy that has been in college and the pros. I think this was a mistake.

Franics is a guy that I think could gain benefit from either league, but the Flames should have found out if he was going to be getting prime playing time, or playing second banana. If he was not going to be the go-to guy, they should have kept him in Stockton and kept challenging him. Maybe they felt they had too many small players in Stockton already and that played into the decision. I'm just cautious about possible stagnation of the player by playing at the same level for too long. I can understand why they would send Francis down, but I would have liked to see him in the primary center role rather than playing down the lineup.
Francis has a far larger chance developing as a winger though. I think the flames thought that he would be the guy, unfortunately for them Dufour decided that he would become the best shooter in the league.

I was really high on Francis and I still am but the way he plays won't transition into a center role in the bigs. He is tenacious and loves to cut into the middle to attack sure but there are other factors at play. He isn't strong on the dot, he also loves to set up plays with his backhand. As a winger this makes you unpredictable but as a center they benefits are not as important. The others factors are size, strength and the usual bla bla for small centers.

Francis just needs time to be honest, his offensive IQ and work ethic are top notch. If he was put into Dufour's spot the points would be there without a doubt. You have to understand that he was literally their second line and had pretty much no offensive support. All the focus was on him. Now with the arrival of some support I fully expect a jump in his production.

Don't be overly concerned, I still think he ends the season quite strongly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:38 AM   #168
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I mean just looking at the stats, Francis has 24 points in 19 games, and what I assume his line mates are - they have 17 points in 29 games and 14 in 25. This is quite a big point discrepancy in linemates, I am actually surprised Francis has this many points while playing with plugs. Seems like Saint John traded for 2 forwards over the break that are over ppg in QMJHL and were drafted so he will have quality linemates now.
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Naitix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 06:47 PM   #169
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feb.6th:

Kerins with 2a,+2 in a 6-3 win over Sudbury. 42gp/26g/47a/73pts,+7, 18 PIM, still first in OHL scoring by 2.

Saint John beats Rimouski 6-3. Kuznetsov with 1a, +4. 6gp/1g/3a/4pts,even, 2 PIM.

Francis with 2a,+1. 20gp/6g/20a/26pts,+7, 12 PIM.

Poirier with 1a,+2. 32gp/9g/24a/33pts,+12, 20 PIM.

No Whynot for Halifax.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:04 PM   #170
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Further to your point regarding Kuz, if they sent him down to perhaps build his confidence offensively, then that could be an iffy move too IMO, as he's playing behind Poirier and Villeneuve...
Old 02-06-2022, 08:28 PM   #171
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Further to your point regarding Kuz, if they sent him down to perhaps build his confidence offensively, then that could be an iffy move too IMO, as he's playing behind Poirier and Villeneuve...
Kuz plays on the second pairing with Poirier.

Prior to the acquisition of Sevigny he was playing above Poirier on the first pairing.

Kuz is getting plenty of minutes at the moment, nothing to worry about there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:51 PM   #172
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Kuz plays on the second pairing with Poirier.

Prior to the acquisition of Sevigny he was playing above Poirier on the first pairing.

Kuz is getting plenty of minutes at the moment, nothing to worry about there.
So is Sevigny with Villenueve?
Old 02-06-2022, 10:28 PM   #173
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So is Sevigny with Villenueve?
Yupp!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 08:14 PM   #174
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feb.8th:

Saint John beats Baie-Comeau 7-5. Kuznetsov with 1a,-2. 7gp/1g/4a/5pts,-2, 2 PIM.

Francis had no points,-2. 21gp/6g/20a/26pts,+5, 12 PIM.

Poirier 1g,1a,-1. 33gp/10g/25a/35pts,+11, 22 PIM.

Whynot had no points,+2 in a 7-5 win over Rimouski. 29gp/3g/12a/15pts,-1, 34 PIM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 07:52 PM   #175
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Feb.8th:

Saint John beats Baie-Comeau 7-5. Kuznetsov with 1a,-2. 7gp/1g/4a/5pts,-2, 2 PIM.

Francis had no points,-2. 21gp/6g/20a/26pts,+5, 12 PIM.

Poirier 1g,1a,-1. 33gp/10g/25a/35pts,+11, 22 PIM.

Whynot had no points,+2 in a 7-5 win over Rimouski. 29gp/3g/12a/15pts,-1, 34 PIM.
I appreciate how objective you are with your updates - regardless of whether the prospects had great games or bad games.

It gives us a more realistic impression on the progress of the prospects.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 09:21 PM   #176
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feb.9th:

Saint John beats Chicoutimi 5-1. Kuz with 1g,+1. 8gp/2g/4a/6pts,-1, 2 PIM.

Francis had zeroes across the board. 22gp/6g/20a/26pts,+5, 12 PIM.

Poirier with 1a,even. 34gp/10g/26a/36pts,+11, 22 PIM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 09:29 PM   #177
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I appreciate how objective you are with your updates - regardless of whether the prospects had great games or bad games.

It gives us a more realistic impression on the progress of the prospects.
Thanks! I always check the scores in the CHL, watch the stats, highlights, and standings, and read/digest whatever I can. It's a nice little hobby to be able to pass it on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 08:11 AM   #178
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got tickets for the top prospects game here in Kitchener. Should be fun!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 12:31 PM   #179
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Got tickets for the top prospects game here in Kitchener. Should be fun!
I’m envious!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 07:35 PM   #180
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feb.10th:

Huckins had 1a, even in a 5-2 win over Blainville. 26gp/11g/13a/24pts,+7, 43 PIM.