Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:
Default Lightsabers

Anyone own any quality lightsabers? I just ordered a couple from Electrum Sabercrafts actually located right in Calgary! Looked around at a few of the other manufacturers such as Saberforge and Ultrasabers. But ultimately Electrum had a couple features (variable colours and a smartphone app) the others didn't offer, and giving business to a Calgary company seemed like a cool thing to do.

Any other colossal nerds out there on CP who own any of these custom duelling sabers?
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Anyone own any quality lightsabers? I just ordered a couple from Electrum Sabercrafts actually located right in Calgary! Looked around at a few of the other manufacturers such as Saberforge and Ultrasabers. But ultimately Electrum had a couple features (variable colours and a smartphone app) the others didn't offer, and giving business to a Calgary company seemed like a cool thing to do.

Any other colossal nerds out there on CP who own any of these custom duelling sabers?
I've seen the Saberforge and Ultrasaber, but haven't seen the Sabercraft before.

The Saber forge look amazing and they have some very cool options if you're looking for options, they allow you to pick variable blade lengths.

I buy swords and try to find authentic looking swords and not over exagerated fantasy world swords. Now I don't duel with them because of accidental murder, but I would think that blade length and the heft of the handle would be fairly important if you were going to duel with it.

What I found really cool when I looked at the Starforge is just the amount of selection not only in terms of the sabers themselves but also in terms of the blade style.

You can get a short Shoto blade, or a light whip (Though it looks weird) they even have a light saber axe.

They don't have the app, but to me while the app is a very cool, I would probably just want to if I was going to buy or collect these, order unique blades qnd hilts and have one color and sound effect to each, but that's just me.

I looked at the Ultra Sabre, they have a cool mystery box thing, where you can buy it and they basically send you a random saber, so you might order a $250 dollar mystery box and get a $500 dollar kit.

Looking at the reviews and looking at the sabres, I like the look of the Saber Forge hilts better, they look thicker and sturdier, which is important if you have big hands. But the Ultra Saber's look brighter, and every review says they just sound better.

But it depends on what you want.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suddenly have an urge to buy a lightsaber. I had no idea this kind of stuff existed.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watched some of the duels that people were doing on line and they looked pretty cool, though they looked choreographed. There were others that weren't and it looked like two guys hacking at each other while screaming "Quit hitting my hands"

Old 01-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I was little I thought lightsabers were real and I wanted one. Then I grew up and found out they were made up. Sad.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

10 years ago when I was a kid, I bought a Master Replica's Vader from TRU then returned it and bought a Luke. It's in my closet but I think it's broken now as the electronics stopped working.

It's a fun item but pointless unless you actually want to duel with someone and nerd out.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
10 years ago when I was a kid, I bought a Master Replica's Vader from TRU then returned it and bought a Luke. It's in my closet but I think it's broken now as the electronics stopped working.

It's a fun item but pointless unless you actually want to duel with someone and nerd out.
I'm disappointed in your lack of creativity.

You could totally just attack random people in the park! They'd never see it coming.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #8
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does the dueling work? Aren't they made out of plastic? Is it just really heavy duty to the point of being indestructible?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Many answers to lightsaber questions can be found here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/lightsabers...s_and_finding/

Essentially, yeah Corsi the blades are a heavy-duty plastic. Most of the manufacturers allow you to select from a 'standard' or 'light' grade and then a 'heavy' grade. Apparently both are suitable for duelling.

When it comes to duelling, they recommend fencing headgear and hockey-gloves as protective gear.

I have no real idea what these things are going to be like when they arrive. Basically, a few months ago I saw a facebook ad for 'duelling lightsabers: 2 for $40' and in a moment of drunken weakness, ordered them.

Of course, what I got was garbage chinese plastic nonsense. However, my interest was piqued by the videos and I started googling around and eventually found out about a bunch of the makers and that subreddit and so on.

I ordered a Remnant:

and a Torrent:

I'll let people know if I think this fairly large expenditure was worth it or not in a few weeks when they arrive.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Nerd alert.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can’t you just construct a new lightsaber? That would be most impressive.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #12
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Nerd alert.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #13
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
How does the dueling work? Aren't they made out of plastic? Is it just really heavy duty to the point of being indestructible?
I own one from Saberforge and the blades are made of a heavy duty polycarbonate. It's a good quarter inch thick

Not my video:

My saber: (Huge pictures) Saberforge Disciple in mint green

Spoiler!
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #14
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy #### I need one of these. I don't know why, but I do.

So sick.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 01:15 AM   #15
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only grown person who enjoys lightsabers. My current collection includes Luke, Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Anakin, Qui-Gon, Mace Windu, and Kylo Ren.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #16
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Before I decided to dedicate my channel to cellular tech and gadgets I did a few (12) videos on my Ultra Saber collection.

Here is the playlist of all 12

Ultra Sabers are built for combat. These things can take a real beating and it's awesome!

And here is an example of one of the videos. This is my favourite saber. I own 17 of these (including simple stunt sabers).

Last edited by MrDJZak; 01-15-2018 at 08:34 AM.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wish I could find it again, but there was a video of two buddies fighting with light sabers that went out of control and ended up being an absolute brawl with no lightsabers. I'll try and find it tonight.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #18
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a Tempest Elite from Vaders Vault. Mine is an nice green instead of the gold. I got this one for spinning and tricks and stuff, cuz it's light weight. So I went all out and got the sound board with some different fonts and full RGB lights so I can cycle through different color pre-sets or could choose my own if I was so inclined to go into the board and select a different hue.

I also have a Ultrasabers Guardian that I just keep mounted on my home office wall with a couple mag light clamps. I bought it for dueling and tooling around with when the owner of Electrum Saberforge was trying to start a Saber Legion chapter in Calgary. Not sure if that's still going on or not. There was no organization or anything in that.

Stay far, far away from Saberforge. The dude that owns that place is a nut job. Nothing but horror stories about Saberforge.

If you're looking for a place to duel, check out https://www.facebook.com/ForgeWMA/

They're a legit HEMA western martial arts club that's started putting on a lightsaber night because Star Wars. Sounds like they're organized and apply forms and training, just using lightsabers instead of the usual swords. One of the guys who started the lightsaber thing, Jimmy, is a super awesome dude.

Last edited by PowerPlayoffs06; 01-16-2018 at 02:27 PM.
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #19
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

My lightsabers have now finally completely arrived. There was an issue where only one of them shipped with a blade, but Electrum responded really quickly and shipped a second blade immediately and it arrived within a week.

I am pretty happy with these things, they're really cool and super fun to play with. I like that I have essentially every colour of lightsaber as - with the Electrum app - the colour is totally customizable.

However, I could see a couple of things becoming issues in the long run, though they may not. The fact that the colours and sounds are totally customizable has already resulted in a couple of very short-lived glitches. One of my sabers was stuck on a pink colour for a while and it wouldn't change until I did a hard-reset. Also, the touch-screen type controls have evidenced a potential for glitchiness that I'm concerned may get worse.

Overall, the sabers are awesome, I just wonder if, in an effort to have the coolest, most customizable sabers on the market, Electrum has made them a little too complicated which might cause frustration down the line.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #20
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
My lightsabers have now finally completely arrived. There was an issue where only one of them shipped with a blade, but Electrum responded really quickly and shipped a second blade immediately and it arrived within a week.

I am pretty happy with these things, they're really cool and super fun to play with. I like that I have essentially every colour of lightsaber as - with the Electrum app - the colour is totally customizable.

However, I could see a couple of things becoming issues in the long run, though they may not. The fact that the colours and sounds are totally customizable has already resulted in a couple of very short-lived glitches. One of my sabers was stuck on a pink colour for a while and it wouldn't change until I did a hard-reset. Also, the touch-screen type controls have evidenced a potential for glitchiness that I'm concerned may get worse.

Overall, the sabers are awesome, I just wonder if, in an effort to have the coolest, most customizable sabers on the market, Electrum has made them a little too complicated which might cause frustration down the line.
Where did you get it from? I'm not familiar with that name (except for the name of my Ultra Saber).
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightsaber , neeeeeerrrrddd!!! , star wars