Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2022, 06:48 PM   #1861
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Not to take away the absolute horribleness of what's happening in the u.s. but people can be incredibly fast and accurate with bolt action rifles. This guy hit 38 out of 48 bullseyes in under a minute in a competition. He has obviously trained but going to the range to practice is pretty common.

A mass shooting can very easily happen with a 'hunting rifle'. You can buy high capacity magazines for these types of guns in the states.

Yes slower than a semi-auto but the idea that banning semi autos as solving the problem is naive.

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...ifle-shooting/
Banning semi-automatic weapons won't solve the problem, but it would help and be a step in the right direction. There is no magic solution to gun violence in the US, but there are lots of good ideas that would help make things a little safer. If enough of them are actually implemented we might see real change, but unfortunately this argument is moot since there is no desire among those in charge for actual change
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:48 PM   #1862
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

This happened about 20 minutes from where I live. The note on Google maps, if you pull it up to nav there, says "Route may be affected by the 2022 Highland Park parade shooting"

I expect "Bobby" a critical cog in that well regulated militia.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:59 PM   #1863
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
This happened about 20 minutes from where I live. The note on Google maps, if you pull it up to nav there, says "Route may be affected by the 2022 Highland Park parade shooting"

I expect "Bobby" a critical cog in that well regulated militia.
Morning news shows will have to start airing a local mass shootings segment after traffic and weather so people can plan their commute accordingly
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 07:21 PM   #1864
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Morning news shows will have to start airing a local mass shootings segment after traffic and weather so people can plan their commute accordingly

"It may take you a bit longer to get to work this morning, there's a 60% chance of rain, and a 75% chance of a sniper on the turnpike, so break out the umbrellas and bulletproof vests today. We'll be back after the break with sports."
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 07:52 PM   #1865
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I made the horrible mistake of clicking a *graphic warning* photo of the event today and holy ####balls that was horrifying. I cannot get the image out of my head and it is honestly fairly jarring.

Perhaps all Americans should be FORCED to look at pictures like this to get a feel for what they are allowing to occur writ large in their society. Maybe you get a bit more movement. Or have the "good" folks in Congress sit down and go through some of these videos for a few hours. Here's what your pathetic, deliberate, disgusting, selfish inaction is causing.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 07:59 PM   #1866
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I made the horrible mistake of clicking a *graphic warning* photo of the event today and holy ####balls that was horrifying. I cannot get the image out of my head and it is honestly fairly jarring.

Perhaps all Americans should be FORCED to look at pictures like this to get a feel for what they are allowing to occur writ large in their society. Maybe you get a bit more movement. Or have the "good" folks in Congress sit down and go through some of these videos for a few hours. Here's what your pathetic, deliberate, disgusting, selfish inaction is causing.
I agree with this. Its too easy to just ignore it when you don't see the carnage. Maybe if they see some kid with riddled with bullet holes they'd actually do something about it.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:42 PM   #1867
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

So terrible.
I can honestly say I will never attend a large outdoor gathering in America again. I feel some safety in arenas/stadiums etc where there's security checks to get in, but something this open is a no go.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:50 PM   #1868
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I agree with this. Its too easy to just ignore it when you don't see the carnage. Maybe if they see some kid with riddled with bullet holes they'd actually do something about it.
One thing I noticed with this situation and it seems like a common mindset in the U.S. is how witnesses say things like; "Things like this don't happen in our town. It happens in other places".

It's different in Canada. Like if something like that happened in one town, it would feel personal to everyone I think. In the U.S., there seems to be a lot of "us and them" from city to city, state to state, and region to region.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:57 PM   #1869
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reports of another shooting during fireworks display in Philly.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:20 PM   #1870
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Someone that skilled with firearms is 0.1% of the population? A semi-automatic allows anyone to lay down that rate of fire. If they weren’t available it would make a huge difference to these types of shootings.
It would help but it definitely wouldn't stop mass murders with guns. It would, unfortunately, be way too easy to kill many people with a bolt action and multiple magazines in the scenario that happened yesterday (shooting from a roof).

The collective American psyche has to change about gun ownership starting with background checks. Even if semi autos were banned today there would be tens of millions of them that will never be turned in.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:28 PM   #1871
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
But literally no one thinks this so it's a total straw man.

Banning semi automatic guns increases public safety and lowers the number of casualties in these shootings. It's also a somewhat attainable goal versus something impossible (in the USA) like a total gun ban.
Edit. Nm. I made the same comment above.

Last edited by chedder; 07-04-2022 at 09:31 PM.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:31 PM   #1872
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, banning these guns could increase public safety except that a ban today will still leave tens of millions of these guns out in circulation. A person that has plans to do one of these heinous acts isn't going to care if their gun is banned nor the consequences to themselves.

America has put themselves into an impossible situation that there is no easy solution for.
You ban guns today and start to clean them up over time. Nobody thinks it’ll be an overnight thing. Only allow hunting rifles that shoot once every 5 minutes like the old muskets used to be, you know, the way the Founding Fathers intended with the right to bear arms. Yes it’ll be hard but you still do it, and work away at it over time.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:33 PM   #1873
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would help but it definitely wouldn't stop mass murders with guns. It would, unfortunately, be way too easy to kill many people with a bolt action and multiple magazines in the scenario that happened yesterday (shooting from a roof).

The collective American psyche has to change about gun ownership starting with background checks. Even if semi autos were banned today there would be tens of millions of them that will never be turned in.
I think the thing people forget though is the psychological attraction of military looking AR and AK style guns, most of these shooters live in a fantasy world, a slow, clunky heavy grandad looking hunting rifle that requires a fair amount of skill to use is going to put alot of them off in the first place
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:39 PM   #1874
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's a tired old argument, but this is still a cultural issue and not just a gun issue. Politically, any change will be doomed early on. After all, we're talking about a country that was founded on violance, written into law their core beliefs that Government can't be trusted and will need to be violently overthrown every once in a while. A country where the population is very divided, and politics are still rife with religious Christian zealots. People are taught that an eye for an eye is okay, and thousands of people are on death row and still being murdered by the State. People are told human life has no value (unless it's a fetus, life is only worthless once it's born. Puzzling) and that it's okay to murder someone if you perceive a threat to your family or property. A country rife with gang violence and the violent crimes that come with it, whose guns are often brought illegally from south of the border, much like here. But the biggest problem, the news is seen as an entertainment program and violence is very profitable, so it gives the appearance that all of the above problems are way worse than they really are.

Ranting aside, I believe if you push too hard to ban the guns, the idiots behind them will just rise up. Baby steps are needed here
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 09:40 PM   #1875
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Mandate that they are painted bright pink or like a rainbow. My suspicion is that the Ven Diagram of gun enthusiasts and rainbow painted gun would be two circles barely touching.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 09:52 PM   #1876
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Does it ever get to the point of a mass exodus of left-leaning Americans to Canada?

I don’t know that I could be comfortable raising a young family in the States today, and for a variety of reasons in additional to the gun control issues and mass murderings.

Last edited by The Fonz; 07-04-2022 at 09:55 PM.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:56 PM   #1877
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Just normal now. Live in fear with guns everywhere. Home of the 'free'.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1544160225682497537
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:04 PM   #1878
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

that was clearly meant to read 'home of the FLEE!!' but no one proofread it properly
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:09 PM   #1879
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Does it ever get to the point of a mass exodus of left-leaning Americans to Canada?

I don’t know that I could be comfortable raising a young family in the States today, and for a variety of reasons in additional to the gun control issues and mass murderings.
Probably invade Canada to stop/prevent that.

I'm not even sure if I should green text that or not anymore.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:24 PM   #1880
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
So terrible.
I can honestly say I will never attend a large outdoor gathering in America again. I feel some safety in arenas/stadiums etc where there's security checks to get in, but something this open is a no go.
Yeah, we have Lollapalooza tickets for later this month , basically to see Metallica. Not so sure we'll go
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote